Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCacti_guy
Stranger
Male

Loc: House Flag
Mycelium colour
    #24680077 - 10/03/17 05:43 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hello,
This'll be my second go at cultivation, this time using the prints I gained from my first attempt (which was very prosperous). This time though, the mycelium colour is different, a lot more grey/brown ish. This photo shows the growth at 5 days. On day 2-4 the mycelium looked completely brown and fluffy (almost identical to the brf), but it has since turned to white and stringy (rhizomorphic?)
I have 10 cakes growing in ideal conditions (with the aid of a heat mat and thermometer), 5 with fine verm and 5 with big chunky verm, all look identical in terms of growth size & colour.
My question is, what is the brown mycelium? is it mycelium at all or a contam? Is it something that'll effect colonisation time / profits and what can I do to stop it next time?

If it makes a difference, it's the mycelium of cubensis.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

Re: Mycelium colour [Re: Cacti_guy]
    #24680252 - 10/03/17 08:55 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

HI Cacti guy, I cant really comment on the mycelium growth. It's hard to see for me. Never have done cakes also..

I can say however that it is better to have the cakes sitting at room temperature. There is a definite consensus about that. Any kind of heating other then room heating/ambient heating is a no no. It increases the chance of contamination.. Believe me, everyone would like to have the ideal temperatures, but most home growers just do with what they have or use a oil filled electrical heater (or some other space heater) to heat the grow room... So better get rid of the heating mats. Good luck

Edited by Shroomway (10/04/17 02:24 AM)

OfflineCacti_guy
Stranger
Male

Loc: House Flag
Re: Mycelium colour [Re: Shroomway]
    #24681414 - 10/03/17 05:43 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the reply mate!
I have pondered the effects of the heat mat, because it does create a differential in heat throughout the jar, but I figured that it's better than letting them colonise in cold temps (around 12-24 C ambient).
I'll take your advice and ditch the heat mat, it is getting warmer here in Australia anyway...

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

Re: Mycelium colour [Re: Cacti_guy]
    #24682471 - 10/04/17 02:23 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Your climate is very good for growing most of the year.... Good thing! I live in a colder climate, but room temperature is still ok. I might not have the fast growth that some have but could still grow Pan Cyan :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation