Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120
InvisibleNichrome
dog fart
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Zone 5
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: tryptkaloids] * 1
    #28775180 - 05/15/24 12:50 PM (30 days, 7 hours ago)

IME the straw takes some time to hydrate and for the heat to penetrate the hard knukley bits. The poo takes very little effort to get hydrated and turns into a nasty slurry in a "bath" and it's hard to keep it from settling into a different layer than the straw bits if they are both in there together...

Cooking the straw and poo on their own and mixing at the time of spawning is not that much more work but you get consistent results. I love straw.

--------------------
question everything, it's very responsive

“Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

Gypsum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedcell
is it air you're breathing?

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #28775256 - 05/15/24 02:10 PM (30 days, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
Quote:

hamloaf said:
Straw and manure require different pasteurization procedures, so combining a substrate of straw and manure is a lot of work for no real benefit.  Straw requires a pasteurization bath while manure requires to be brought to field capacity and pasteurized in some sort of vessel such as a jar or bag using water as the heat transfer medium.

Can you elaborate a little bit on this? I assumed straw is pasteurized in a bath due to ease of doing a lot. I've always gotten away with mixing it with poo and heat pasteurizing like you would peat - bring up to 145-165 f° for an hour or 2 in a pot or the oven.

This would've been my approach. Straw and hpoo together in a large fine meshed cheese cloth for drainage in hot water pasteurization. I suppose this could be problematic if the straw is overly acidic in which case a lime pasteurization may be the safer route.

Definitely ensure straw is finely chopped, my first go with it I just used a weedwacker and that was totally insufficient in finely chopping it.  I lazily used the large straw remainders with the semi small cut pieces and the myc didn't seem to happy with that.

I've heard its good practice when solely using straw to compress it during colonization with a weight? How does that work? Maybe lay plastic sheeting over the sub with weights evenly placed over the sheeting?

Offlinedcell

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Nichrome]
    #28775266 - 05/15/24 02:22 PM (30 days, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

Nichrome said:
IME the straw takes some time to hydrate and for the heat to penetrate the hard knukley bits. The poo takes very little effort to get hydrated and turns into a nasty slurry in a "bath" and it's hard to keep it from settling into a different layer than the straw bits if they are both in there together...

Cooking the straw and poo on their own and mixing at the time of spawning is not that much more work but you get consistent results. I love straw.

IME the hpoo stays compacted together in the cheese cloth. Some fine sediment escapes through the cloth but nothing major.

In theory there is some loss of nutrients which remains in the fine sediment as well in the water left over in the pot.  Also loss of nutrients in the straining process.  For this reason I've considered using a bucket tek pasteurization.  Kind of an all in one process where it's pasteurized with just enough water to achieve field capacity.

Not too long ago I decided to save leftover hpoo pasteurization water. A dark brown supposedly nutrient rich substance.  Does anyone know how long this is good for? It about 2 weeks old and not sure of the shelf life.

Offlinehamloaf
Pork Block ®©™√
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation undisclosed.
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: dcell] * 2
    #28775366 - 05/15/24 04:16 PM (30 days, 3 hours ago)

The pillow/cheese cloth tek essentially leeches any nutritional value from the manure, that is correct. 

Bucket tek is not pasteurization and will not work with manure (or straw for that matter). 

Proper pasteurization of field aged horse manure is achieved by first shredding it, adding about 15-20% medium or chunky vermiculite, bringing it to field capacity, then loading it into jars or spawn bags using water as the heat transfer medium.  Pasteurize @ 140-160F for an hour and a half keeping track of the temperature of the substrate by probing the center of the horse manure. 

(Never mind the temperature.  That is the only picture I have that demonstrates what I am saying about how to monitor the temperature of pasteurizing horse manure  :lol:)

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinedcell

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: hamloaf]
    #28775778 - 05/15/24 09:47 PM (29 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Bucket tek is not pasteurization and will not work with manure (or straw for that matter). 

That's good to know. I was concerned about it being a sufficient pasteurization method for manure.

Now hypothetically speaking, suppose I was to use 2 buckets, both very well insulated with fiberglass tape top to bottom and I had a temperature probe in the center of the substrate.  Suppose the temp never drops below 140 degrees for the 1 1/2hr duration, wouldn't it essentially serve the same purpose as the method you mentioned?

Not saying your wrong or I'm right, just curious.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: dcell]
    #28777881 - 05/17/24 07:37 PM (28 days, 23 minutes ago)

Bucket tek is hotter than pasteurization and better described as partial sterilization

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #28777891 - 05/17/24 07:41 PM (28 days, 19 minutes ago)

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage

Offlinedcell

#28780710 - 05/19/24 10:20 PM (25 days, 21 hours ago)

I have a question regarding the common Bacillus Subtilis Endospore commonly found in rye grain and the endospore's ability to be suspended in air.

After boiling the grain a vast majority of endospores survive but are then ultimately destroyed upon sterilization.  My concern is what may occur during the drying process after the boil.

I like to dry the grains infront of a large hepa filter and I was thinking.. A: once the grain dries, any remaining endospores are less likely to stick to the grain
B: the filtered air currents could potentially blow the endospores off the dry grain rendering them airborne

I have been doing this drying process in the sterile lab and i'm beginning to think this is bad practice, in fear of suspending Bacillus Endospores in what should be a sterile environment. My sterile lab is where g2g transfers, agar and s2b work occurs.

Are my fears justified or will the endospores be stuck to the grain after the boil during the drying process?

Edited by dcell (05/19/24 10:22 PM)

InvisibleNichrome
dog fart

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: dcell] * 2
    #28780716 - 05/19/24 10:23 PM (25 days, 21 hours ago)

I work with all sorts of bacteria and molds and such in the same space as standard mushroom mycelium. Often they are off-gassing and making spores at the time.

I think you are worrying too much.

--------------------

“Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

Gypsum

OfflineAmazonianMist
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Nichrome]
    #28787319 - 05/25/24 10:25 AM (20 days, 9 hours ago)

Hey all, just wondering if I should mist this? Jack Frost, in a 17qt square monotub. I only opened it today, to get a better look at surface conditions. It looks dry, but tub sides have good condensation. Lots of hyphal knots. I don’t want to over wet the tub. Should I wipe the sides of the tub and then mist, or just leave it?

InvisibleNichrome
dog fart

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: AmazonianMist]
    #28787431 - 05/25/24 11:41 AM (20 days, 8 hours ago)

Don't fuck with it. No misting.

--------------------

― Thich Nhat Hanh

Gypsum

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
    #28787440 - 05/25/24 11:46 AM (20 days, 8 hours ago)

The surface is too dry but everything else looks great. If you add a little more water to the coir next time you’ll be golden.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineAmazonianMist
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: A.k.a]
    #28793192 - 05/30/24 05:56 AM (15 days, 14 hours ago)

JMF spawned to bulk 5•10

Does this look like it’s fighting something?

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: AmazonianMist]
    #28793228 - 05/30/24 06:57 AM (15 days, 13 hours ago)

It more just looks uneven. It's best to smooth the surface at spawn

--------------------

OfflineAmazonianMist
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#28793420 - 05/30/24 10:02 AM (15 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
It more just looks uneven. It's best to smooth the surface at spawn

Oh gosh, didn’t even think of that xD. After drilling all those holes and cleaning each mono, I was just ready to be done, lol . :sporedrop: thank you!!

Offlinedcell

#28798381 - 06/03/24 12:43 AM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

Is "un-modded" adequate for a 66qt tub? I've been reading stuff recently as unmodded tubs as the way to go as compared to the traditional fae holed counterparts.  Anyone with experience comparing the 2?

InvisibleNichrome
dog fart

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: dcell] * 1
    #28798398 - 06/03/24 01:17 AM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

That really depends on your environment. If your environment is too dry or two moist, you'll have to adjust the gap somehow to either allow more or less airflow. I like a little twisted up piece of foil.

--------------------

― Thich Nhat Hanh

Gypsum

Offlinedcell

#28798404 - 06/03/24 01:32 AM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

I like the tray in the tub I've never thought of that! Is that to help pull out the sub easier and to prevent potentially contaminated water droplets from falling in there?

InvisibleNichrome
dog fart

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: dcell]
    #28798846 - 06/03/24 12:06 PM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

That was for ease of use and adaptability. Two dish tubs fit in a mono, so two varieties can go in the same mono side by side, as well as there is no liner waste but you still get the benefit a liner provides.

--------------------

― Thich Nhat Hanh

Gypsum

Offlinedcell

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Nichrome] * 1
    #28798998 - 06/03/24 02:44 PM (11 days, 5 hours ago)

Brilliant! Love it!

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate