Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOculomente
No one
First post, first grow!
    #24677930 - 10/02/17 01:56 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I am so happy to finally join the Shroomery community.  I have been skulking about for a month or so, here and there, acquiring basic cultivation information.  I have however been unable to join due to a web browser complication.  Having overcome said difficulty, I am overcome with the joy of finally being able to discuss my first attempt at materializing my own mushies.  As soon as I discover the proper method of uploading pictures I will do so after locating the appropriate thread.  I read over the rules, however, I would be very pleased if someone would let me know if I misstep, or misspeak.  I am here to learn, as well as potentially make friends to share said knowledge with. I appreciate all of the notes I have picked up, and greatly look forward to speaking with almost everyone :p.

On 8/31 I inoculated my first eight jars (BRF) with Golden Teacher. I did not experience any contaminants.  Two of my jars developed pins (most of which was by the dry verm layer) around three weeks. I neglected to dunk and roll the cakes due to fear of them coming apart, which appears to have been a silly thought considering their solidity after playing with many more cakes. I spawned each cake to coir using lasagna pans, some lined, some not.  I now see the difference the lining makes.  I have four of those pans fruiting in monotubs (or the best I can tell, still learning terminology.) The remaining four are still colonizing. I fruited two of the trays too early, will post pics when my camera charges.

on 9/7 I inoculated eight more jars, two of which gained a minor black moldy spot, one of which wasn't even mold, just a shadow.  These two were heavily colonized, so I put spawned one to coir and put it in a tray for observation.  The other I put outside along with one that was completely consumed inside with black.  They have since dried, and appear to have died.  A few days ago, There was a pin on two cakes, so I put them in a small fruiting chamber to see what they would do, they have since grown, but not been joined by other pins.  The remaining cakes were spawned to coir.  I didn't dunk and roll these either.

On 9/14 I inoculated eight more Golden Teachers.  They are still colonizing, and I will let them have a full four weeks regardless. I will also decide against being negligent, by dunking and rolling.

8/1 I inoculated eight Costa Rica jars

8/2 I inoculated eight Corumba jars.

I accidentally bought the tall half pint jars in bulk so that is what I used.  My substrate has been 2 : 1 : 1 Verm : Water : BRF mix.  The tubs have ten one inch holes drilled in them filled tight with polyfill by the perlite, and less so at the top.  I finally found access to more recent forums and spent several hours reading last night. If I understand correctly I should probably make some shotgun fruiting chambers.

Each set of jars were made with a 10 cc syringe, excluding the Corumba, which I managed with seven.  I learned after reading last night that only a drop or two was needed per insertion point.  After some more practice I should be able to pull at least double the jars, or more.
All jars are being stored between 70 and 85 degrees.

Any tips regarding Shroomery etiquette, or cultivation will be received with appreciation.  I will be posting pictures of everything I have, including the isolated tray of contams.

Cheers, and warm regards.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinech0bacca
Blastospore
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: First post, first grow! [Re: Oculomente]
    #24677953 - 10/02/17 02:06 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

The best tip is to use the search feature first if you have a question.  I've never had to ask a question here because everything question I could think of has already been answered ad nauseam.

Good luck :smile:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First post, first grow! [Re: ch0bacca]
    #24678008 - 10/02/17 02:36 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Just follow the rules and don't do anything dumb or let a few successes go to your head if you haven't done your homework, since that often leads to shit talking and drama.  That is all.  Most of the time, just doing what is expected of us is more than can be said of our peers... so.. do that.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

OfflineOculomente
No one
Re: First post, first grow! [Re: Inocuole]
    #24678080 - 10/02/17 03:21 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you both.  I think I'll probably be just fine after I get used to working a forum again.  I used to have a BB forum some decade ago :p.

Ok, here is a jar inoculated on 9/14 GT 2:1:1 BRF

Here are the above mentioned single pin cakes (They are from the 9/7 cakes.) It would appear that the pins grew close to the verm.  I read that dunking and rolling gives the cake an agreeable surface for the pins to grow in, the pins popping by the verm each time so far seems to support that statement. I have noticed that I was supposed to put foil down.  I did not, due to ignorance. I suppose it could still be applied at risk of bruising the cake.

These are from the first batch, I believe I took the foil off of the bulk sub too early. I crumbled the cake atop a lair of coir, then topped the pan with coir.  All of my attempts have been done this way thus far.  I also have cow manure to try as a variable on the next round.

I also have two trays fruiting that were allowed to colonize a bit more, but the surface isn't covered with a complete colonization.  I have six more trays colonizing that could be ready any day.  I also went a little heavy on the coir.

The next picture is of a cake from the 9/7 group that had a blue spot on it that I believe was a bruise.  I isolated it anyway.  It seems to be trying to do something, although I don't believe I used the proper method of caring for it.

These last two are of trays from the 9/7 that had black, later a lot of blue and green.  I took them out and set them in the sun for a day.  The heat dried out the substrate.  I still misted them, then left the lids off and gave them a good fifty square feet of the open aired out doors. I now keep them in an isolated area. The second one really smells like mushrooms, but I believe neither will carry value as more than a "what not to do" variable.

Everything aside from my inoculation jars are inside of an 8x8 room made from a frame wrapped in plastic sheets, (I forget the gauge.) I have a fan outside of that room to blowing fresh air into the room from ten feet away.

Edited by Oculomente (10/02/17 03:58 PM)

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24681025 - 10/03/17 03:12 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I was wondering if there is any sort of attention I should give these, as the two pins are growing at an exponential rate daily, while each cake is finally starting to produce a few more tiny pins on the other side of the cake, visible in zoom.  Also, would that fuzzy bit around the tip be?  I didn't wanna put my face right over it to get a better look, didn't think the little guys would want me breathing on 'em; I thought it may be the veil.

Offlinech0bacca
Blastospore

#24681064 - 10/03/17 03:25 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

just let it grow out.  if it matures faster than all the others then pick it and do with it what you will.

that fuzzy stuff is where the veil will be.

Edited by ch0bacca (10/03/17 03:25 PM)

Offlinein_dot
Shake N' Bake
Male

Loc: East Coast
Re: First post, first grow! [Re: ch0bacca]
    #24681287 - 10/03/17 04:43 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Should've rolled those cakes in verm, also need to have a jar lid or aluminum foil underneath it instead of setting them right on top of the perlite.

--------------------
Loneliness is a term used by those that aren't comfortable with themselves
Once one conquers loneliness, others are never needed to find happiness

OfflineOculomente
No one

Re: First post, first grow! [Re: in_dot]
    #24681735 - 10/03/17 08:32 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Noted and much appreciated,thank you both.  Would it be ok to pick the cakes up and put something under them, or would I damage them from movement?

I will most definitely dunk the next cakes that I birth, now that I know how solid they actually are after colonization.  I was afraid I would mess them up, so I thought I would cut a corner.  That was foolish, seeing as I have step by step instructions to look at :p.

It seems like I read that applying clean verm after a misting was possible. I believe it was on a few threads where others had neglected the dunk and roll.  Do you have an opinion there?

Offlinein_dot
Shake N' Bake
Male

#24681956 - 10/03/17 09:57 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

As for picking up the cakes to put something under them, it will be 100% fine just be careful not to squeeze them too hard or drop them.  Put either an upside down jar lid or a circle piece of foil no bigger than the bottom of the cake.  If you use a jar lid you can even look into "bottom watering" your cakes.  Never tried it, but others get good results with it. 

As for applying the dry verm now, I'm not completely sure.  If you don't have many pins yet, it may not hurt to do this, but may wait for a more experienced opinion as I only did a few grows with cakes before moving to bulk.

--------------------

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24682000 - 10/03/17 10:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I have spawned most of my cakes to bulk, and intend to do so with almost all of them.  They seem to be taking quite some time to colonize, but I believe it's a combination of being anxious for a first time flowing, and mixing a little too much coir.  At the time that I mixed most of my trays I didn't have frequent forum access, so a lot was done from memory, and outdated posts.  Should one mist any during bulk colonization? I am willing to bet another reason they are taking so long is because I didn't dunk and roll those either. Also, do you think there could be a benefit in elevating the cake inside the chamber an inch?  I don't have any holes drilled in the bottom of the chamber.

Edited by Oculomente (10/03/17 10:16 PM)

Offlinein_dot
Shake N' Bake
Male

#24682007 - 10/03/17 10:19 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I've only ever spawned grain to bulk.  Never shaved a cake, but I'd assume if you are going to shave them down and spawn to bulk, you don't need to roll after dunk.  As for misting during colonization, I normally don't have to as the humidity remains high inside my tubs during colonization.  However, sometimes if it is a little too dry, a slight misting is required.  Once FAE is introduced for fruiting is when misting becomes more important and frequent

--------------------

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24682118 - 10/03/17 11:03 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Whenever you spawn something to bulk, does it make the substance into a "Bulk Cake" more or less?  I didn't line a few of my bulk trays to better understand the shrinkage that occurs during the process.  I have read that shotgun fruiting chambers may be less effective with trays than cakes, but I have an idea of how I can get it to work. I have 81.6 degrees in my tubs at the moment, and there is medium to maybe even heavy condensation on three of the four sides of the tubs, the side facing the lighting is a bit more dry. I have read that this could mean that I am not getting enough FAE in my FC.

I still have a lot of spore left, I want to try grains with ten trays or so to see the differences in action. I would also like to play around with agar.  It appears that it is going to be crucial for duplication purposes.

Offlinein_dot
Shake N' Bake
Male

#24682355 - 10/04/17 01:08 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yea learning agar will be the best decision you make in this hobby.  Opens up a lot more opportunities.

--------------------

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24682394 - 10/04/17 01:37 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Would you put this in a hole outside, or try to clean it up? Browsing for solutions now.

on the backside,beneath the cake I just found this.

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24684790 - 10/04/17 11:54 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

My very first harvest.  May be next to nothing, but it's enough to let me taste a fruit of my labor.

I can't remember if the cake that gave me this was from the 8/31 or the 9/7 GT, but either way I am very pleased to have enough to enjoy with breakfast before work. It's kinsmen should be arriving soon.

Offlinein_dot
Shake N' Bake
Male

#24684913 - 10/05/17 01:01 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Throw that green cake outside ASAP.  That's trich.  Don't let it invade your work space

--------------------

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24684922 - 10/05/17 01:10 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I had it isolated, it was alone in a chamber.  I took it outside, took the outer layer off of the bottom, most of the green was removed.  I then tore the cake into slices, much like one would when making cookies, then buried each of them in coir outside.  Disposed of the mold, and a bit that looked healthy farther away.  All seems to be well at the moment.

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24689544 - 10/06/17 10:36 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This was one of the throw away trays pictured above, that in my opinion looked sickly.  I isolated it very heavily, and kept misting it for grins and giggles. If one could explain what all of this mess is I would be grateful.  Since all of the action is happening at the sides after I cut away the pan it seems as if maybe the top layer is just the problem point for the moment? Soon to change I'm sure.  I have it under outdoor air flow with semi frequent misting.  More or less I check it every hour or two, and if it looks dry I give it a squirt.

I also got to taste test my first two clips from the cakes pictured above, that came out to 1.6 cracker dry.  They were fun. 

Two of my prematurely fruited coir trays are beginning to pin, will post pictures when the first cap is ready for full harvest.

OfflineOculomente
No one

#24696154 - 10/09/17 10:53 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

What ze hell is this?

There is another from the same cake doing the same thing.  It started as a dried out piece on the top of the cap, the became more spherical. Over night it became covered in white, like the base of the stem might.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
    #24696435 - 10/09/17 01:06 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like mycelium to me.  :shrug:  Sometimes they wear hats.

If it smells funny maybe be concerned but it's probably nothin.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation