Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | 503 | 504 | 505 | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | Next > | Last >
OfflineSubaeruginosa NZ
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Ferather]
    #27790154 - 05/24/22 04:00 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Im newbing my way through the shroomery preparing to attempt spawning NZ Subaeruginosa from spores, so I have some related questions if you can help:
* If Subs are secondaries, does this mean that I would benefit from adding hardwood powder to my agar to provide the right nutro?
* Is there any general knowledge about how long it takes for 'fresh' wood to drop enough nitrogen to be at a nutro level best suited for secondary decomposers?
* Are most pelletised woods (hard or soft) considered suitable for secondary composers due to being proccessed & generally not fresh?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Subaeruginosa NZ] * 3
    #27790406 - 05/24/22 10:20 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Just use your normal agar recipe, they’ll grow on just about anything.  After working with so many different culture I’m carrying less and less about how they look/perform on agar.  I mean select the best looking growth and all, but they’ll almost allwsys do amazing things once they get to wood.  My clones look like shit on agar, but god damn once they get to wood they know they’re home. 
What do you mean by secondary?  I’ve always considered them primary decomposes.  And they do fine going agar to grain to wood chips. 
I feel like this is a good place for me to confess misinformation I’ve spread about using sawdust.  Always said to use it, but now I know it’s really bad compared to going grain to wood chips.  Only problem with chips is if your going to be bulking them up in containers indoors you may want to at least pasteurize them.  Used to think it helped like a step from grain, but everything I’m running does so much better going grain to chips, over grain to sawdust.

OnlineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: smalltalk_canceled] * 1
    #27790449 - 05/24/22 11:04 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

smalltalk_canceled said:
Funny you should answer that, because right after you did, puffballs started invading too.

Azur patch, coprinus and puffball invaders. Azur FINALLY showed signs of doing fuck all

Where the puffballs at? Cant see em. :shrug:

--------------------
Shrooms are always bluer on the other side...

Work hard, play harder, trip the hardest.

InvisibleMr Piggy
Stool Type P-
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Subaeruginosa NZ]
    #27790465 - 05/24/22 11:18 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Subaeruginosa NZ said:
Im newbing my way through the shroomery preparing to attempt spawning NZ Subaeruginosa from spores, so I have some related questions if you can help:
* If Subs are secondaries, does this mean that I would benefit from adding hardwood powder to my agar to provide the right nutro?
* Is there any general knowledge about how long it takes for 'fresh' wood to drop enough nitrogen to be at a nutro level best suited for secondary decomposers?
* Are most pelletised woods (hard or soft) considered suitable for secondary composers due to being proccessed & generally not fresh?

Let the chips age a few weeks if they are fresh.  You can transfer to fresh, but they do better after a few weeks of aging at least.  Like Trout said just use regular agar, there is no benefit to adding wood.  Pelletized wood will work, but again Trout was right about going direct to chips.

agar > grain spawn > (optional) grain/wood spawn > woodchips outdoors.

I skip the optional step myself.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy] * 1
    #27790472 - 05/24/22 11:25 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Yeah Piggy, I had some extra grain and space in my canner the other day so I mad a mix bag of recycle substrate and grain and I’m seeing no benefit.  It’s working, but the bags of all grain are almost finished and the mix bag is taking some time.

InvisibleMr Piggy
Stool Type P-
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Land Trout] * 1
    #27790480 - 05/24/22 11:33 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

I'm going to start experimenting with making woodchip spawn totes outside where I can remove 2/3 when it's full colonized and dump in/mix fresh chips to make more.  Hopefully it'll be a perpetual spawn rotation with relatively short colonization times.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy] * 1
    #27790490 - 05/24/22 11:51 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

That’s where my heads at, treating them like a sourdough.
That’s what I’m hoping for.  We have a ditch that’s still got water running through it, but I’m thinking I could line it with psilo beds through the summer, and maybe get a flush before it fills back up next winter then move it and should just be able to refill the next year.  The colony should be able to survive the winter in some spots where it can climb above the water.  Ive been dumping some of the fails in there and I’m surprised how well some of them have survived being saturated. I did overwinter a cyan in there in one spot that’s not too wet.  Eventually all the colonies will flush into one another, probably get them to go wild where the ditch dumps out.

Edited by Land Trout (05/24/22 11:52 AM)

InvisibleMr Piggy
Stool Type P-
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Land Trout]
    #27790546 - 05/24/22 12:48 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

I'm still stuck in this city, so I think I'll just make lots and lots of planters full of spawn.  All the extra I can just dump around the city in various parks.  There's a serious problem with over picking and not making new patches.  Fuck I Nat.  I mean, it's a cool app, but it's ruined so many good patches.  I sincerely believe all patches on public land are free to all, but people need to contribute and not just take.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #27790561 - 05/24/22 01:01 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Yeah fuck, did you see that post where someone picked “years worth” of allenii and then fan dried them?  I dont even know what’s newer knowledge, proper drying or the name allenii.

OfflineholofractalS
Woodlover experimentalist
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Land Trout] * 10
    #27791139 - 05/24/22 10:28 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Outdoor thin cake had good results. I give it a watering and drain every 2 days.

Weirdly, this "allenii" actually looks like real allenii now, I think. This same culture, from clone, has made wavy fruits, light fruits, small, large meaty ones, dark fruits, tall, short, everything in between. Sometimes looks like cyans 100%, other times, like this, looks like a close true allenii.

So maybe, I wonder, the mislabeling of spores could not be a mislabel at all and these genetics presented in a different way? Not mad just a curiosity. I call it Schrödingers woodlover, it is both allenii and cyanescens until observed, then you have shroom pheno collapse.

--------------------
Woodlover lover!
I am open to questions about wood lovers, I don't know everything, but if you like my posts and have a question, feel free to ask in a PM
I do a lot of indoor experiments. I, one day, WILL figure out a surefire method for indoor woodlovers. Nothing is impossible.

Indoor Woodlover experimentation Journal
Indoor azurescens :laugh:

InvisibleCOOKED101
Eagle eyes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oz
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: holofractal]
    #27791930 - 05/25/22 09:55 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

They are magnificent:bow2:

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: holofractal] * 1
    #27791967 - 05/25/22 10:30 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Amazing that’s a clone of those, I remember the pics of the parent patch and if you found them in the wild you wouldn’t have a doubt they were cyans.  The colonies I’ve got in the yard are very aggressive.  Beautiful work again holo!

OnlineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: holofractal] * 2
    #27791970 - 05/25/22 10:31 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Quote:

holofractal said:
Outdoor thin cake had good results. I give it a watering and drain every 2 days.

Weirdly, this "allenii" actually looks like real allenii now, I think. This same culture, from clone, has made wavy fruits, light fruits, small, large meaty ones, dark fruits, tall, short, everything in between. Sometimes looks like cyans 100%, other times, like this, looks like a close true allenii.

So maybe, I wonder, the mislabeling of spores could not be a mislabel at all and these genetics presented in a different way? Not mad just a curiosity. I call it Schrödingers woodlover, it is both allenii and cyanescens until observed, then you have shroom pheno collapse.

Whatever they are, they're stunning. :jodie:

--------------------
Shrooms are always bluer on the other side...

Work hard, play harder, trip the hardest.

InvisibleMysticMycologist
Dirt Sherpa
Male

Loc: seeking samadhi
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy] * 3
    #27791975 - 05/25/22 10:34 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Amazing success holofractal! Those are some real beauties!

Quote:

Mr Piggy said:
I'm going to start experimenting with making woodchip spawn totes outside where I can remove 2/3 when it's full colonized and dump in/mix fresh chips to make more.  Hopefully it'll be a perpetual spawn rotation with relatively short colonization times.

I love this idea. I have a bunch more ovoid wood spawn colonizing. I would love to keep prepping wood spawn for the rest of the year and spread it all over my property, and along some river banks and creeks in the area.

I’m thinking of using 5 gal buckets with vented lids, and just keeping a few inches of spawn in them after I use it to mix with a new batch of fermented chips. The way I figure, the more spawn I put out, the better chances I have of getting an established bed and fruits.

Edit:
I know am not supposed to be lifting mulch and peeking at my beds, but I couldn’t resist, and will accept the scolding… I have had about 4 days of rain and moderate temps, and my ovoid spawn grain > outdoor mulch beds are growing vigorously. The majority of my spawn is made by going grain to pasteurized wood indoors, but seeing that my grain directly to outdoor beds are getting a foothold is very encouraging.

I put some hardwood pucks into one ovoid bed and they are colonizing quite well too. I may use the pucks to inoculate other potential beds. I’ve got a lot more spawn going to put out, so I am cautiously optimistic. My cyanescens beds are also looking like they are enjoying this wet weather. It is so fun to watch these species outdoors on wood. They are aggressively devouring the chips and mulch.

Edited by MysticMycologist (05/25/22 10:57 AM)

Invisibleevlyshrooms
willy weilii
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: MysticMycologist]
    #27792079 - 05/25/22 11:35 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

These squirrels are killing me here. Digging up everything …

--------------------

InvisibleMysticMycologist
Dirt Sherpa
Male

Loc: seeking samadhi
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: evlyshrooms] * 4
    #27792110 - 05/25/22 11:52 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Try putting rubber snakes out. They have worked wonders by spooking the squirrels, birds, rabbits, deer and mice away. I’ve been using them in my garden for years, but they are working well for my outdoor grain beds as well. The bright green or yellow snakes seem to work the best.

--------------------
Two eyes to look, One eye to see.
Prying open my third eye

Invisibleevlyshrooms
willy weilii
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: MysticMycologist] * 1
    #27792118 - 05/25/22 11:56 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

ooo thank you!

--------------------

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: evlyshrooms] * 1
    #27792291 - 05/25/22 02:32 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

I put down chicken wire over my beds and it helps, but the little bastards are now reaching in through the wire and digging little holes. The chicken wire reduces the amount of destruction they can cause, but not quite enough. I'll be putting down hardware cloth next time - smaller 1/4" square holes. Either that or building a chicken wire cage over the beds.

Oh, the iron oxide slug bait seems to have worked quite well. Took a few days though. But I haven't seen a slug in a while.

OfflineMycoplex
Sporocarp
 Unread Journal

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: MysticMycologist] * 2
    #27792292 - 05/25/22 02:33 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Quote:

MysticMycologist said:
Amazing success holofractal! Those are some real beauties!

Quote:

Mr Piggy said:

I love this idea. I have a bunch more ovoid wood spawn colonizing. I would love to keep prepping wood spawn for the rest of the year and spread it all over my property, and along some river banks and creeks in the area.

There was also a strategy shared by Land Trout a while back (and cataloged in the indoor Ovoid thread in signature) that uses fabric plant pots ("Smart Pots") as mobile inoculation tools that can be moved from chip bed to chip bed.  It's not the exact same idea as described above but it's something in the same vein so wanted to bring that up again.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mycoplex]
    #27792454 - 05/25/22 04:46 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

@holofractal, https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27791139#27791139

That's some good BE (biological efficiency), very thin slab substrate.
I would clone one of those, and try to increase BE.

Your 5/5 vote is coming soon.

----

https://www.google.com/search?q=domesticated+fungi

--------------------

Growing mushrooms, general guide and information (Ferather's Journal), https://ibb.co/rG3rML2

----

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek [DTS:X] - Unlocked and reprogrammed.

Edited by Ferather (05/25/22 04:52 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | 503 | 504 | 505 | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale