Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | Next >
OfflinePsilosopherr
A silly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Spacetuna]
    #26676098 - 05/17/20 04:24 AM (14 days, 20 hours ago)

I wonder if they float, send em down river

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26677348 - 05/17/20 07:43 PM (14 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
I wonder if they float, send em down river

Whether its spore or myc, woodies definitely flow down stream. . .

I started picking P.aucklandii in forests, and definitely noticed the impact gravity and water had. . . Subsequent years of hunting P.sub confirmed this with anecdotal evidence (purely scientific me!)

Myc grows up hill slower than water flows down hill. . .

If you're going to send down stream. . . A quick whiz in the blender first. . . Spread the love!

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread
–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflineConsciousdave
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Bobbit]
    #26677853 - 05/18/20 12:13 AM (14 days, 28 minutes ago)

I've had some success transplanting a Psilocybe Cyanescens patch i found to my back yard.  It hasnt fruited yet, but I imagine it will this fall as Ive seen some growth and expansion.  I'd also like to grow some spawn bags or bunker spawn with the mycelium that Ive found.  I dont have syringes or agar and I'm looking for the best way to create spawn bags of some sort.  Ive got a couple jars with soaked sawdust/chips and mycelium in it in hopes that the mycelium expands in the jars that are sealed and ive also got a tub with cardboard that was soaked with mycelium between the layers...the tubs have a couple holes for FAE.  Lastly, Ive got some wood chips/sawdust that Im fermenting for 2 weeks that Ill place in burlap sacks then put mycelium in/between them in hopes of colonization.  Would love input, advice thank you.

OfflineOregonic
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Consciousdave] * 1
    #26679164 - 05/18/20 05:05 PM (13 days, 7 hours ago)

I'm about to throw together some woodlover projects and was hoping to get some quick guidance on layering the shit before I move forward. I'm using some of those plastic long narrow rectangular plant pots, and have 3-4 qts of grain spawn for each. So one pot will be cyan, one ovoid, and one azure.

I've been fermenting a barrel full of wood chips for close to two weeks and should have plenty, I hope. My plan was to layer grain spawn with woodchips as well as some soil I have that is a mix of compost/a bit of manure/mulch. The pots are 36" long by about 6" wide and 6" deep. Was planning on a 4" substrate max so by my calcs my ratio should be around 1:3 or 1:4

So couple questions to my experienced woodlover bros

A) how would you layer the grain spawn, soil and woodchips and how much soil to woodchips would you use? Or forego the soil totally?

B) should there be a top layer of soil regardless? How thick? Was planning on putting some greenery of sorts in the pots to help with moisture and such, is this necessary? Was thinking either grass seed, strawberries or some other light ground cover

C) should I keep the pots covered for the summer or just in a shady spot?

D) should I make the pots the same way for all three species or change it up at all for one of them? No exp. with cult of cyans or ovoids.

I've had very limited success in the past with a half assed azure patch started from cardboard and stem butts and ultimately the only place I got fruits was where the woodchips met the grass line, which was my motivation for mixing in some soil and topping it off with some soil and plants.

I've read a fuckton of this thread and have read tons of woodlover teks over the years and while it sounds like I'm overthinking it (I am) I mainly just want to know what the preferred way of using pots is these days. Have seen lots of people use no soil at all and only chips, some people mix in soil etc etc

Really appreciate anyone that takes the time to respond! I'm all for experimenting but with such a long term project I wanna get it right.

Edited to add that I am located in the pnw where woodlovers grow, just with a slightly cooler and earlier fall being that I'm at a bit of elevation

--------------------

Offlinemoricz
Inky Cap Cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Oregonic]
    #26680161 - 05/19/20 04:15 AM (12 days, 20 hours ago)

Hi there...
I make my pots this way from grains...

1. Heat sterilise the woodchips!!! You can go with straight grains to wet chips but need luck or agressive strain(s) to get foothold, cooler colonisation helps. So try to make some semi sterile woodchips spawn first. (pasteurise woodchips for 2 hours then mix the grains in)

2. get some coarser sawdust that is for the bottom (1,5 inch and for the topping 1 inch)
3. get woodchips
4. wet everithing well, also consider 2 week anaerobic "rotting" that is much more succesfull
5. place the bottom sawdust in your pots (you have drainage holes right :wink: )
6. place some spawn not much just a thin layer
7. place 2-4 inch of woodchips
8. repeat til almost to the top
9. the layer before the last (sawdust) layer will be spawn
10. place sawdust on the top, that helps prevent substrate dryout (evaporation) you can use coco coir instead of sawdust
11. fill the pots with water every 2-4 days, let it drain down for 3 weeks
12. wait water it if needed in the dry summer
12+1. place them in cold, or at least a cool shadowish area, keep the pots wet but not too wet, you can fell by the weight of the posts.

13. wait till season, but before season start sprinkle more often but not too wet, and/or you can make a humidity tent for them to make much more supporting environment in a shady place.

14. Enjoy :laugh:

No need to change recipe for your species

Peace

InvisibleSpacetuna
Skipper
 User Gallery

Loc: Coastal
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Shroomhunts] * 1
    #26680181 - 05/19/20 04:27 AM (12 days, 20 hours ago)

It’s amazing what can be done with an ovoid stem butt.  Their a resilient species ready and willing to take over.

--------------------

OfflineBU4O
Weed on ^^
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bulgaria,Plovdiv Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Spacetuna]
    #26680518 - 05/19/20 09:26 AM (12 days, 15 hours ago)

Azzies both tube and pot cannot see how is the ceramic pot going but the tube is killing!
Salt and baking soda boiling hot water 24 hour's drain well and go!

--------------------

OfflineAdasS
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: BU4O]
    #26680533 - 05/19/20 09:38 AM (12 days, 15 hours ago)

I have an itch to try the Soda method now. I think I will. For kicks.

--------------------
Shrooms are always bluer on the other side...

Work hard, play harder, trip the hardest.

OfflineEdmunterS
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: moricz]
    #26680540 - 05/19/20 09:44 AM (12 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

moricz said:
Hi there...
I make my pots this way from grains...

1. Heat sterilise the woodchips!!! You can go with straight grains to wet chips but need luck or agressive strain(s) to get foothold, cooler colonisation helps. So try to make some semi sterile woodchips spawn first. (pasteurise woodchips for 2 hours then mix the grains in)

2. get some coarser sawdust that is for the bottom (1,5 inch and for the topping 1 inch)
3. get woodchips
4. wet everithing well, also consider 2 week anaerobic "rotting" that is much more succesfull
5. place the bottom sawdust in your pots (you have drainage holes right :wink: )
6. place some spawn not much just a thin layer
7. place 2-4 inch of woodchips
8. repeat til almost to the top
9. the layer before the last (sawdust) layer will be spawn
10. place sawdust on the top, that helps prevent substrate dryout (evaporation) you can use coco coir instead of sawdust
11. fill the pots with water every 2-4 days, let it drain down for 3 weeks
12. wait water it if needed in the dry summer
12+1. place them in cold, or at least a cool shadowish area, keep the pots wet but not too wet, you can fell by the weight of the posts.

13. wait till season, but before season start sprinkle more often but not too wet, and/or you can make a humidity tent for them to make much more supporting environment in a shady place.

14. Enjoy :laugh:

No need to change recipe for your species

Peace

:whathesaid:

The only thing I would add it let the soaked woodchips rinse well if you are growing in tubs or boxes.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Edmunter]
    #26684818 - 05/21/20 06:34 AM (10 days, 18 hours ago)

Some science:

----

White-rot fungi: https://res.mdpi.com...09-01163-v2.pdf || http://www.davidmoor...iterotfungi.htm

TGel: https://en.wikipedia..._content_in_tea || https://frida.foodda...ood/115?lang=en

Carbon sources: https://imgur.com/a/8jngxe8

----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2256&v=y7mdAS7KlRw

Here are two images from l0wbob, who put some Azure spawn to WL-Tek, 50-50 wood-paper pellets. The same recipe I use on oysters.
WL-Tek is paper-wood pellets with added soluble plant food and calcium carbonate (measured, requires experience).

Adding the plant food increases the total nitrogen content.

----

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
Mycelium is looking vibrant and healthy lowbob.
Hope your projects reward you with a lot of fruits.
I also like the 50/50 paper pellets and pine mix. These active gyms are fruiting from this mixture enriched with powdered dog food.

----

Summer oyster benefiting from nitrogen fixating blue-green algae. Fruiting from nitrogen deficient cotton wood, @ 7°C.

----

Baeocystin:  [C11]--[H15]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]
Norbaeocystin: [C10]--[H13]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]

Psilocybin:  [C12]--[H17]--[N2]--[O4]--[P]
Psilocin:  [C12]--[H16]--[N2]--[O]

From above:

"Psilocybin is a tryptamine compound with a chemical structure containing an indole ring linked to an ethylamine substituent. It is chemically related to the amino acid tryptophan, and is structurally similar to serotonin."
"Psilocybin is a member of the tryptophan-based compounds that originally functioned as antioxidants in earlier life forms before assuming more complex functions in multicellular organisms."

"Psilocin is relatively unstable in solution due to its phenolic hydroxy (-OH) group. In the presence of oxygen it readily forms bluish and dark black degradation products"
"Most species of psilocybin-containing mushrooms bruise blue when handled or damaged due to the oxidization of phenolic compounds"

"Psilocin is broken down by the enzyme monoamine oxidase. Some psilocin is not broken down, and forms a glucuronide"

Notes:

Nor-baeocystin are analogs of psilocybin, meaning single or various elements are added or removed.
It appears they can be phosphorylated or dephosphorylated (cleaved, added, a cycle?).
All four compounds contain carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen.

Serotonin:  [C10]--[H12]--[N2]--[O]

----

Personally, for outdoors, I colonize a substrate as a block, indoors using spawn, when colonized I remove it.
I then place it into a larger container with compost (the block near the surface), and water.

Notice the rich colour, they where very tasty.

----

https://....growing-mushrooms-in-the-garden-the-king-oyster/

----

Carbon-to-Nitrogen ratios (see here)

--------------------

--------------------
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/350881 - Ferather's Journal, guides, recipes and more [2019]
--------------------
RGM: Rift Game Manager - DPS meter for Rift, with absorb to heal converter and data export [2017]
Commander: [Cygwin + Cmder] - Customize Android, Setup VirtualBox, plus more [2019]

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Ferather] * 1
    #26685673 - 05/21/20 03:05 PM (10 days, 9 hours ago)

Welcome back ferather. . .

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread
–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Bobbit]
    #26685903 - 05/21/20 04:58 PM (10 days, 7 hours ago)

:cheers:

Good luck all.

--------------------

--------------------
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/350881 - Ferather's Journal, guides, recipes and more [2019]
--------------------
RGM: Rift Game Manager - DPS meter for Rift, with absorb to heal converter and data export [2017]
Commander: [Cygwin + Cmder] - Customize Android, Setup VirtualBox, plus more [2019]

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pittsburgh
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Ferather]
    #26686326 - 05/21/20 08:46 PM (10 days, 3 hours ago)

Those gyms look cool never seen someone grow out a canopy of them like that indoors

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Shroomhunts] * 2
    #26686414 - 05/21/20 09:24 PM (10 days, 3 hours ago)

Welcome back Ferather:)

I have an indoor P.subaeruginosa grow starting to fruit.

Method is agar>wbs>sterilized pine mulch. A casing layer of decomposed pine needles was applied (unsterilized)

Once fully colonized the jars were left to consolidate at room temp (20-30c) for 3 months with the lids slightly cracked. The pine needle casing initially colonized rapidly but the mycelium began to bruise before dying back to the wood chips after a month.

Lids were removed and they were placed into the fridge covered with a zip lock bag. Temps between 8-15c were maintained for a month before I noticed knots forming throughout the jar. I'm hopeful there are more fruits forming beneath the casing which will develop at the surface.

Edited by bobwastaken (05/21/20 09:34 PM)

OfflineMycoactive
Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: bobwastaken]
    #26686585 - 05/21/20 10:24 PM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

Those subaeruginosa pins are awesome! Why did you decide to let the mycelium consolidate before attempting to fruit?

Onlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mycoactive]
    #26686627 - 05/21/20 10:43 PM (10 days, 1 hour ago)

bobwastaken what's the rough ratio of the dog food you used to enrich the pine for those gyms?  My gym jars (won't know variety until they fruit...) are slowly hugging along so trying to get my brain in order.  No pine so thinking of spruce and a soft hardwood (like birch or willow) mix maybe?  Also- I friggin love- LOVE your gym photos.  Much yes. :creepylurker:

--------------------

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: alaskappalachian] * 2
    #26686747 - 05/21/20 11:57 PM (10 days, 43 minutes ago)

Quote:

Mycoactive said:
Those subaeruginosa pins are awesome! Why did you decide to let the mycelium consolidate before attempting to fruit?

Thanks mate. I decided on a long consolidation based on experience I've had with failed indoor attempts in the past. When introduced to fruiting conditions right after full colonization or after a short (2 week) consolidation they'll just sit there and do nothing for a year. The same goes with outdoor beds I've set out too close to the season.

@alaskappalachian

Here's the recipe I used. Thanks for the kind words. I think your wood choices will perform just fine.

OfflineRoundabout
Stranger

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: bobwastaken]
    #26686978 - 05/22/20 02:33 AM (9 days, 22 hours ago)

How fresh must the wood chips be?

I have a pile of beech(I think) chips dumped perhaps two months ago. They had some white mycelium on them and some of the pitchfork loads smelled mushroomy when I loaded them into the barrel to ferment today but the wood did not see broken down otherwise.

I've got both ps azurescens and ps cyanesescens that seem to be clean after 3 transfers. My plan is to load up a number of large-ish pots(7+ gallon) and bins and mix in various different forms of mycelium(colonized agar plates and liquid culture) as an experiements.  The LC grew fast and has stayed clear Unfortunately the grain I inoculated is colonozing super slow and seems stalled with no sign of contams, perhaps I should just give it a shake.

Things have taken longer than I expected both to clean up the culture and then the grain colonization speed. I'm hoping that if I can get these small bins of chips inoculated before June and keep them in good shape over the summer I might have a shot at a harvest from those even if the beds don't have enough time. Maybe a long shot at this point though.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Roundabout] * 1
    #26687452 - 05/22/20 09:03 AM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

Slightly irrelevant post:

----

Here is a cutting that had black-dark green mold (lignicolous fungi) already in it (internal). I put it into water + sucrose + miracle gro soluble plant food.

Since it was cut, the plant became weaker (no roots), and it's normal for fungi to then take over, In this case that started to happen.
After about 2-3 days the fungi grew out into the solution, and started acting as roots for the root absent plant cutting.

The cutting slowly recovered (7 days now), and has started producing new leaves in various locations.
The fungi has stayed within the solution, not moving up the stalk very much.

Spores are present at the apex location, black-dark green.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

OfflineConsciousdave
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26688124 - 05/22/20 02:42 PM (9 days, 9 hours ago)

May showers brought some mold growing on top of my peatmoss casing layer. Will this effect my cyan myc growing underneath?

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | Next >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation