Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Autoclave, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleThepowerofplants88

When to fruit
    #24664582 - 09/27/17 05:00 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This is a tub that's been colonizing for 14 days, using Damions 50/50 coir/verm tek. (Looks contaminated in a few spots but it was just water pools, that I've since removed and now the yellowish color is not present)

I was going to let it sit for another 6 days or so... Just looking for some clarification on when would be a good time to put into fruiting conditions. Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: When to fruit [Re: Thepowerofplants88]
    #24664845 - 09/27/17 06:41 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

:shocking:

That might be contaminated

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

Loc: Worldly realms
Re: When to fruit [Re: Enkidu]
    #24664932 - 09/27/17 07:24 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

You know it cant be good when you are planning to let the sub colonize for 20 days :/  that raises some questions, I think you are only benefiting the contam if you let it sit without FAE, I would say fruit it but better wait for more experienced opinion on that!

--------------------
p9hu7 said:
So, why bother saying "why bother"? it is what it is. The purpose is to experiment with procedures that venture outside the norm, is it necessary for growing mushrooms? Big nope. Is it fucking cool to think and experiment? Resounding yes.

OfflinecronicrM
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: When to fruit [Re: Mateja]
    #24664947 - 09/27/17 07:32 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yep that tub is suffering...id fruit it now n watch for molds

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineKrombopulosM
Mycoshaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Northeast Florida Flag
Re: When to fruit [Re: cronicr]
    #24665287 - 09/27/17 09:46 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

fruit now, the FAE will either help kill the bacterial infection or help it spread. it may be an unpopular opinion but i think a light hydrogen peroxide mist helps. maybe a table spoon to every 100 ml autoclaved water, mist it like that for a day then go back to regular autoclaved. make sure your FAE is right. some bacteria only thrive in a low oxygen environment, some the other way around. many people say its a pointless effort but ive saved several tubs with the right combo of uvc light, white vinegar, peroxide, and FAE. as long as u catch the contam early.

good luck

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

Re: When to fruit [Re: KrombopulosM]
    #24665344 - 09/27/17 10:02 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KrombopulosM said:
fruit now, the FAE will either help kill the bacterial infection or help it spread. it may be an unpopular opinion but i think a light hydrogen peroxide mist helps. maybe a table spoon to every 100 ml autoclaved water, mist it like that for a day then go back to regular autoclaved. make sure your FAE is right. some bacteria only thrive in a low oxygen environment, some the other way around. many people say its a pointless effort but ive saved several tubs with the right combo of uvc light, white vinegar, peroxide, and FAE. as long as u catch the contam early.

good luck

What is the point in sterilizing tha water before misting? Do you have to mix the water and hydrogen peroxide inside an SAB with full sterile technique? If not, than what is the point in sterilizing the water in the first place?

--------------------
p9hu7 said:
So, why bother saying "why bother"? it is what it is. The purpose is to experiment with procedures that venture outside the norm, is it necessary for growing mushrooms? Big nope. Is it fucking cool to think and experiment? Resounding yes.

Offlineshroomyaxn
Male User Gallery

#24665419 - 09/27/17 10:21 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KrombopulosM said:
fruit now, the FAE will either help kill the bacterial infection or help it spread.

I agree.  IF contaminated, 6 more days could produce molds with those ripe conditions.  I'd say start fruiting conditions now and hope for the best. 

Good luck.

OfflineKrombopulosM
Mycoshaman

Re: When to fruit [Re: shroomyaxn]
    #24665555 - 09/27/17 11:01 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

The pipes and filters leading to your faucet are nasty and covered in filth and mold whether u see it or not. Thats y i autoclave. The peroxide is known to kill cobweb mold and trichoderma in early stages. I dont use any crazy sterilization methods to get the water to the spray bottle. Knowing that there is a mild antibacterial agent in the water gives me peace of mind. It also evaporates first when misted so u dont have to worry about it sitting on the myc

OfflineKrombopulosM
Mycoshaman

#24665559 - 09/27/17 11:02 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Once u spawn to tub u are no longer in a sterile environment.  Just pasteurized.

Re: When to fruit [Re: shroomyaxn]
    #24665563 - 09/27/17 11:03 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Here's a recent photo after I removed the water pools. Still a few yellow spots...
Not sure if pooling could contribute to that but there was a lot of excess water build up and pooling in this tub since colonization began.

So I should fruit it now even if there's still uncolonized areas? I don't know if it's contaminated but I hope that it's not. I accidentally touched the coir once or twice when spawning before colonization so maybe that could have introduced contaminants or would that be not likely? I've read some tubs can take up to 20 days so I was going to wait it out but if I should fruit it now than I definitely will. Thanks again

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24665603 - 09/27/17 11:18 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

If you want to draw a conclusion from this thread it would be to FRUIT IT RIGHT AWAY :smile:

No point in waiting longer, the sub doesn't look all that healthy, it has taken too long to colonize, it's a little sad but you can always hope for a flush.

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

#24665648 - 09/27/17 11:39 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I stuffed the polyfil and introduced the fruiting conditions. I think it may be contaminated, when I look at the bottom there's some yellow spots in a few areas. Hopefully it could be just metabolites from excess water? Does anyone else agree that's what it could possibly be? When spawning if I did accidentally touch the substrate a few times could that have introduced contaminants and been the cause if contamination is present as I asked above? Thanks :thumbup:

#24666042 - 09/28/17 05:25 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody able to answer those above questions?

#24666058 - 09/28/17 05:53 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I'd hope to get at least one flush.. How does it look unhealthy because of a few yellow spots which could be metabolites or due to not being evenly colonized? Some tubs take longer to colonize up to 20 days depending on the ratio of spawn:substrate if you aren't aware Mateah. Hope I didn't take the fucking wrong advice here and fruit this early. Could have been just metabolites it smells fine. If anybody has checked the second picture it might have helped

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24666220 - 09/28/17 08:58 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone could tell you that you tub looks FAR from healthy, and even tho some strains colonize slowly 20 days for a small tub is a long time and since you tub doesn't look healthy one can only assume that the myc is suffering.

Nothing very bad will happen if you put into fruiting when it is not 100% colonized, your tub looks to be at least 90-95% colonized and the myc will not automatically stop colonizing the sub just because you introduced FAE it will keep colonizing the substrate if it has the opportunity to do so. But since your sub doesn't look healthy one can wonder how it will progress.

I feel pretty comfortable in giving you these advices even tho I don't have a ton of experience, but as you can see much more experienced guys have already confirmed the advice I gave you so time will tell if you will be able to get a flush from that grow.

Look up some fully colonized healthy tubs and compare with yours. It's night and day.

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

Edited by Mateja (09/28/17 09:01 AM)

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24666234 - 09/28/17 09:07 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

CVG does not "contam" if you touch it with your fingers, if it did that we wouldn't use it as bulk substrate. You could have had bad spawn, you could have ripped apart grain at spawning and exposed unzolonized grain to contams, your sub could have been too wet, no one could tell you what went wrong from simply looking at a pic. One can only asses that the myc looks like its suffering and that it should already have colonized the sub if it was very healthy.

From now on you keep reading and listening to experienced guys. You will learn what ever happens, and that's why you are here, to LEARN.

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

OfflineVitalRiotBoy
Noobie
Male
    #24666307 - 09/28/17 10:05 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Mateah is right, cvg is pretty contam resistant. Your tub is definitely suffering as stated above. Metabolites appear in most cases as a defense mechanism to help the myc fight off infection.

Your best to fruit now and hope your myc had a better foothold and will produce. I wouldn't worry about waiting longer for your tubs to consolidate. A large amount of experienced growers case their substrate and put into fruiting as soon as they spawn it.

Hope the information I provided helps out a bit. If you need further information to draw a conclusion I'd look up some of bodhisatta or pastywhites posts as you can feed off of the large amount of information they have in their sigs

Re: When to fruit [Re: VitalRiotBoy]
    #24666759 - 09/28/17 01:37 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I understand the advice and respect you for providing it I just thought because it wasn't fully colonized that you assumed it looked unhealthy and that the yellow spots could be metabolites and possibly not contamination. The ratio was a bit off as I used Damion's tek with a smaller tub so just cut everything as I thought I should. Probably would have benefited with more spawn.

It is fruiting but I was pretty sterile throughout the entire spawning process.

You guys think it's 100% contamination and not just basic healthy "myc piss" or mycellium metabolites from excess water? Hopefully there will be some good results to be had..

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24666803 - 09/28/17 01:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

It's pretty much everything about your tub that sends warning signals to me. The texture of the myc, the time it has taken to colonize, the metabolites... Full colonization is the main pinning trigger, but a colony can start to produce fruits earlier if it feels it needs to survive. Plenty of fresh air from now on and hope for a flush :smile:

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

#24667088 - 09/28/17 03:33 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks :thumbup: Would be great to yield a good amount and hope that there's no true contamination present

Appreciate the help everybody!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Autoclave, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation