Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
The Meaning of Life
    #2466016 - 03/24/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a ramble for you:

I'm going to share something with you that is going to make you think that I am arrogant.

I am smarter than most of the people I run into.  :grin:  I have recently discovered this, and it's not a pretty thought.  Or maybe it's not that I'm smarter, but maybe it's that I have figured more things out about life.  Or maybe it's all just my perception on life, and I think I am smarter.  But it's still just my perception.  Maybe I'm just delusional. 

Things really do work out in ways that they are supposed to work out.
"Signs".  There is a purpose for everything.  If there is a purpose for everything, how can you be upset over anything that seems like a negative, that might be a positive in disguise?

People get wrapped up in the mundane aspects of living.  Treating each little event like it means something, in itself.  It means nothing, by itself.

You have to step back and look at the big picture. Most people can't do that. And I think people who are intelligent can do that.  I don't think people of lesser intellect can do that.  So, then I think, "holy fuck".  How can you explain this to people?  "The meaning of life 101".

What if we all start off on the same footing, and we have to figure out what we're doing, just on a daily basis.  Maybe what we are supposed to be striving for is getting to the next tier, which is figuring out what it all means, in the context of our lives, or of the grand event itself.

And what if the next step is figuring out the meaning to life itself.  Tying all the "grand events" together.  Why we are here. 

We assign feelings to events, based on past childhood experiences.  So it's hard for us to see past our feelings sometimes, to the deeper meaning or relevance of each individual event.  Therefore, we are limited in our vision.

What if we are able to overcome the negative emotions, or even positive emotions, associated with past events, that then we are able to look at each new event objectively, unencumbered.  Then, we can possibly start seeing how each individual events fit into the grand scheme of things.  And eventually, maybe we can tie each grand event together, to understand our purpose for living. 

Phases of living "outwardly".  We start off only being able to understand that "something" happened.  An event happened.  We disregard the emotion from past events that color our vision of how we look at this new event, and possibly see how this event connects to other events.

And most people can't do that.  And so it makes it very difficult to talk to people, because they want to talk about the mundane aspects of their lives as if each little "event" means something.

And when you try to explain that there is a bigger picture, they look at you glassy-eyed, and go back to talking about the mundane event, as if it is important, unto itself.

What if these steps of "understanding" led to the bigger understanding of the meaning of life?  What if the only thing holding us back is our limited vision, consequently resulting in limited understanding, based on how our emotions take our brains as prisoner?

Just a ramble.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Frog]
    #2466199 - 03/24/04 03:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

To figure this out on a mathematical basis; let E = Event, M = Meaning, and C = Coincidence.

Relating them all we have:  E= MC2.

Life solved! We can all pack up and go home now.  :yesnod:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Swami]
    #2466212 - 03/24/04 03:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

WRONG!!

Back to the drawing board, Swami.  Nice try, though.  Try a "google" search next time.  You may find the name "Einstein" next to "E=MC2".  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2466216 - 03/24/04 03:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

sorry, I couldn't read your whole post, but I felt compelled to reply anyway.

The meaning of life is:
To live, learn, experience, and evolve

in a nutshell anyway

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2466221 - 03/24/04 03:30 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You're on the right track, but your ego is getting in your way. Take some mushrooms and realize that just like the rest of us, you really don't know anything at all.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2466466 - 03/24/04 05:14 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry, but I have to post it:

The answer is 42 :wink:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2466480 - 03/24/04 05:25 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i think most of us are on the same footing.  we are all here after all sharing an experience with each other. consider this though...

ever notice however many answers you get, the more questions will pop up.  yeah we could ask questions, and asking questions are great, but thinking about what the question implies is even better (is it?)  To know that we have to ask these quesitons because we DON'T KNOW any of those bigger answers.

I think you could assign meaning to anything.  Thinking about questions like these bring out a certain point of view, a view that thing's aren't mundane at all when looked upon very closely.  hidding meanings...sure...could be..who knows.  to know that we all walk around with some purpose for the day, when in reality, there could be no purpose at all. 

you are a lawyer frog...what are you working for?  is it money and security?  you like your job...but what are you working for?  see that's the same time of question wabout "the meaning of life" 

again it's not the question that's important, jsut the implications. things don't have to be mundane, things are quite the opposite in my world.  not because I assign them meaning, but because that I am still in awe that this screen in front of me is here, so that I can see what I am typing, and that some of you are able to read what I type. 

Go outside and look at the sunrise or the stars and see how vast everything really is.  it's a big world, in a much bigger universe.  we are jsut one speck of it...and  there is so much in one person.

I know I sound like a hippy here, but trees alone are fuckin neat.  they give us what we need to breath and take what we don't need. ha!!!  wonderful.  in the clouds above you is moisture, which is water, hovering over your head, just in a different form  :shocked:.  water which is essential to us can exist in three forms. don't take it for granted that this is a big system we are apart of and that we depend on it.  Indeed we are not the caretakers...the planet takes care of us :smile:. the fact that everything formed the way it did, is interesting.

think about it for an hour a day, and appreciation may settle in :smile:

just a ramble...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineGeeno
    #2466556 - 03/24/04 06:47 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know what you mean but Its important not to gloat and not to think of it as a permanent situation. There is always help for others, some just refuse it.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2466582 - 03/24/04 07:21 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You have to step back and look at the big picture. Most people can't do that. And I think people who are intelligent can do that. I don't think people of lesser intellect can do that. So, then I think, "holy fuck". How can you explain this to people? "The meaning of life 101".

Everybody has their window of experiences, that grows from day one. The type of window you have is naturally dependant on the type of life you lead and so on. Some people have an elegant white window with lustrous red curtains of silk. Some people have a spartan window made of steel frames and with protective bars behind the glass. Some people have windows with glass broken from vandalism. And so on. So of course as people's personalities change, people's windows can also change correspondingly. The importance of this part of the analogy can be demonstrated when you have the option of looking at the same beautiful landscape, but through several completely different windows. Although the landscape will be the same, the window which you are looking through at it, will exert much of the 'attitude' and 'tones' on the vision of the landscape. If you look at the landscape through a small, tiny, window with two jail-like bars across it, it affects the way you look at the landscape, or, the world. If you look at the same landscape through a vast, magnificent window with beautiful stained glass decorations surrounding the skirts of the main glass-panel and long flowing silk pearl-toned curtains with lush green decorative vines draped around it..you will not only be able to see more of the landscape, but in a far more positive, and thus more likely an enlightened way; and I cannot think of anything polar-opposite of Positive, that would allow you to view through such a window, and truly 'see' as much as you do, Frog.
The size of the window and thus how much you will see throughout the window is largely dependant on the length and depth of your life. "And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln.

So try to keep that in mind when you try to 'show' other people what you see through your window..

Just a ramble...

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #2466611 - 03/24/04 07:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"Life is like a jigsaw puzzle."
Once in a while we simultaneously find a couple of pieces that belong together - a little rush we call Synchronicity. More rarely, our perspective is jolted so that we view the puzzle on the floor from above momentarily - a mystical moment, not neccessarily an OOBE, but a detached perspective. Eventually, we complete the puzzle - hopefully in the current lifetime. Then we will be shown the entire picture - from within and from without - with all questions answered at once, through a mode of Knowing that no ear has heard, no eye has seen nor heart ever conceived. Our awareness will be expanded in the twinkling of an eye to Infinity, the wondering mind will at last be sated with Understanding. Wisdom will dawn. Union will have been granted. The Meaning of Life will have been attained. Peace will prevail.

- Markos'Gump'theGnostic

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2467235 - 03/24/04 12:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There is no meaning to life.  We are all just heaps of separate, yet overlapping cognitions, interacting at such a complex level as to create the illusions of free will and self identity.  And I think Swami's heap was being facetious.  :3rd_eye:

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2467363 - 03/24/04 01:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ahhh, life. :grin:

*the pause is to signify my pause in reflection and in appreciation of* :wink:

The meaning of life? Hehe, I see the meaning of life as being meaning itself. From what I've pieced together, we are in a system free of inherent meaning in order to freely develop our own meaning.

From observing how my mind works and the progression that time shows us, there is definitely an emphasis on change and evolution. My thoughts continue to keep advancing... there is a definite progression going on here.

The more time I spend within and a part of this system, the more my understanding grows and branches out from my previous points of understanding. I also notice that the more consciousness I put specifically towards seeking out understanding and being aware, the more the understanding develops and grows....

I tend to see life now as existing to gain understanding of something, in a sense. Life is a complex maze that is navigated to learn about the maze itself, really.  :grin:

At this point I don't see any all encompassing meaning because to know that would be to know everything. The only thing I know is that I keep seeing signs that point towards the need to continue expanding understanding and the need to promote the well being and the continuation of life so that can be done further.

Life is all about the concepts, the understanding, and this moment, right here and now. Life is everything. The meaning? Every meaning is the meaning of life.  :smirk:

Just a ramble...  :lol:  :nut:  :tongue:
Peace.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: trendal]
    #2467405 - 03/24/04 01:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Sorry, but I have to post it:

The answer is 42 :wink:

Damn you beat me to it.

I genuinly believed that untill i was about 12. Damn hitch hiker loving parents.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2467534 - 03/24/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"Life is a complex maze that is navigated to learn about the maze itself.."

Beautiful.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Lazerouth]
    #2467657 - 03/24/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

I read it when I was really young, too. Now whenever I see the number 42 my mind reacts with "the answer!" :smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineSYCOdelik
Trippy
Male

Loc: where am i again?
    #2467678 - 03/24/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The meaning of life is simple,.....

Meaning of Life = To Live
To live = To be alive
To be alive = To be healthy
To be healthy = Eating and sleeping

so....

Meaning of life = To sleep and eat.

see easy.

--------------------

~Life is one long ride, make it the best ride you can.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2467727 - 03/24/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I like living free from abstractions, myself. There's no real greater significances except those that present themselves to you. If I find the Great Grand Ultimate Meaning I think I'd be disappointed, because I don't see how it can possibly be better than the act of searching for it.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2468768 - 03/24/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

when i was in 2nd grade, i wrote out the meaning of life for my teacher in red crayon.

the meaning of life, is to find meaning in life.

i think the point is that everyones meaning is different. the meaning of life is only found by living through a life and understand what you did, and what part you played in the bigger picture.

dont think about this question to much my friends....it will kill you

~JSlice~

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2468818 - 03/24/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

the purpose in life is to somehow merge your conciousness with the universe- I think Im about 1/100000000 of the way there! so frustrating sometimes, and I always find myself going BACK to the old wayz : (

InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
    #2469196 - 03/24/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Here's a ramble for you:

I'm going to share something with you that is going to make you think that I am arrogant.

I am smarter than most of the people I run into.  :grin:  I have recently discovered this, and it's not a pretty thought.  Or maybe it's not that I'm smarter, but maybe it's that I have figured more things out about life.  Or maybe it's all just my perception on life, and I think I am smarter.  But it's still just my perception.  Maybe I'm just delusional. 

Things really do work out in ways that they are supposed to work out.
"Signs".  There is a purpose for everything.  If there is a purpose for everything, how can you be upset over anything that seems like a negative, that might be a positive in disguise?

People get wrapped up in the mundane aspects of living.  Treating each little event like it means something, in itself.  It means nothing, by itself.

You have to step back and look at the big picture. Most people can't do that. And I think people who are intelligent can do that.  I don't think people of lesser intellect can do that.  So, then I think, "holy fuck".  How can you explain this to people?  "The meaning of life 101".

What if we all start off on the same footing, and we have to figure out what we're doing, just on a daily basis.  Maybe what we are supposed to be striving for is getting to the next tier, which is figuring out what it all means, in the context of our lives, or of the grand event itself.

And what if the next step is figuring out the meaning to life itself.  Tying all the "grand events" together.  Why we are here. 

We assign feelings to events, based on past childhood experiences.  So it's hard for us to see past our feelings sometimes, to the deeper meaning or relevance of each individual event.  Therefore, we are limited in our vision.

What if we are able to overcome the negative emotions, or even positive emotions, associated with past events, that then we are able to look at each new event objectively, unencumbered.  Then, we can possibly start seeing how each individual events fit into the grand scheme of things.  And eventually, maybe we can tie each grand event together, to understand our purpose for living. 

Phases of living "outwardly".  We start off only being able to understand that "something" happened.  An event happened.  We disregard the emotion from past events that color our vision of how we look at this new event, and possibly see how this event connects to other events.

And most people can't do that.  And so it makes it very difficult to talk to people, because they want to talk about the mundane aspects of their lives as if each little "event" means something.

And when you try to explain that there is a bigger picture, they look at you glassy-eyed, and go back to talking about the mundane event, as if it is important, unto itself.

What if these steps of "understanding" led to the bigger understanding of the meaning of life?  What if the only thing holding us back is our limited vision, consequently resulting in limited understanding, based on how our emotions take our brains as prisoner?

Just a ramble.

Out of all the people here, you seem the most out of centre.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology