Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Gluckon]
    #24665224 - 09/27/17 07:30 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Ok I'm in, please don't fuck my bandwith Ythan, but you can rape my hardware all you like.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #24665461 - 09/27/17 08:31 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

If be happy paying for a supporter account rather than letting you mine bitcoins. The page has been down for a while now.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan]
    #24665523 - 09/27/17 08:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
At its most basic: people pay money for your computer to do work.

Slightly more advanced: people want an anonymous digital currency that's not controlled by a central bank and can't be forged. As the basis of this currency, everyone agrees we'll have our computers do work, and the more work someone's computer does the more "money" they get. To ensure this can't be faked, we pick a problem that's hard for a computer to solve, but easy to verify once we have the answer, like figuring out the prime factors of a very large number. Say I give you the number 944,838,020,200,283,264 and I tell.............

Ythan, you are really good at using words on the internet to explain stuff.

Do you allow pupils to train under your ranchness, sensei?

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan]
    #24667626 - 09/28/17 04:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I just enabled it to check it out on one of my computers.  Anything to help out to make some cash for the shroomery and Big Y & Co.!  I encourage all active users to enable it!  The more the better!
I will give it a go on one of my other systems tonight to compare performance.  Thank you for your time and have a great day Big Y!

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#24668103 - 09/28/17 07:06 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:

Slightly more advanced: people want an anonymous digital currency that's not controlled by a central bank and can't be forged. As the basis of this currency, everyone agrees we'll have our computers do work, and the more work someone's computer does the more "money" they get. To ensure this can't be faked, we pick a problem that's hard for a computer to solve, but easy to verify once we have the answer, like figuring out the prime factors of a very large number. Say I give you the number 944,838,020,200,283,264 and I tell you there are only two prime numbers that, when multiplied together, will give that result. Your computer has to do a lot of work to come up with the answer (in this case 961,749,703 and 982,415,713), but it's very easy for me to multiply them together, check the result, and verify that you did in fact perform the calculation. Digital currency is just people paying for stuff with these "mathematical solutions" instead of dollars.

How is it helpful to know the prime factors of a large number? It's not, the solution is worthless on its own. It serves only as a hard problem to make your computer do work so that people can't create arbitrary amounts of digital currency from thin air. So why are people willing to accept it as money? Because we need some kind of digital currency, and enough people have all agreed to accept it in exchange for goods and services that it has value.

There are some cryptocurrencies like gridcoin which use problems that actually have scientific value, but they aren't very popular at the moment. Fewer people are willing to accept them, so their value is lower and more prone to fluctuation. Personally I think they're a much better use of computing power, but the in-browser client only mines monero, so that's what we're going with for now.

That's nuts. I always assumed bitcoin was based on gene folding or something. Do you think gridcoin will ever take off when people realize this?

InvisibleDustBunnyM
Male

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Middleman]
    #24673391 - 09/30/17 06:25 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I am absolutely not the person to ask but I personally do, yes, for that reason alone, but I think there will be  two dominant currencies.

--------------------

OfflineApprenticeCultivtr
Stranger
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: DustBunny] * 1
    #24673731 - 09/30/17 09:01 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Realistically speaking if your using a laptop and it causes the computer to overheat from performing to many tasks then in theory the " Mining " is just you spending more on your electricity and coming out with a couple cents per hour by the sounds of it.

Offlinemuskwave
FULLWIDTH

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: ApprenticeCultivtr]
    #24674926 - 10/01/17 10:20 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I tried enabling this because it seems like a really easy way for lots of people to support the site.
Sadly I disabled it almost right away because it was causing noticeable performance issues in Chrome on my desktop PC with a 4.4GHz overclocked i5-4670k. It's not an amazing CPU but compared to what normal people are running it's certainly above average.

I know browser based mining is orders of magnitude slower than literally any other option, but if there are parameters you can tune to curb the performance hit it has on the browser you might need to tone it down a bit more so that average users can use the site with it enabled. Then again, I don't know what the performance hit is like on lower spec hardware. It could just be an issue with coinhive support for my hardware, all the chrome settings I tweak, or some other quirky aspect of my setup.

Edited by muskwave (10/01/17 10:24 AM)

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: muskwave]
    #24675165 - 10/01/17 11:27 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for the feedback, I added an option for "how much idle CPU power to use for cryptocurrency mining". Could you please see if you have better results with the "medium" or "low" setting?

Offlinemuskwave
FULLWIDTH

#24676158 - 10/01/17 05:51 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

New options are great! I'm sure users will appreciate it! Medium is perfect for me. High seems OK as long as I've got literally nothing else running. Maximum is definitely not usable for me.

InvisibleMollyLucyMaryJane

#24676497 - 10/01/17 08:49 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:

Slightly more advanced: people want an anonymous digital currency that's not controlled by a central bank and can't be forged. As the basis of this currency, everyone agrees we'll have our computers do work, and the more work someone's computer does the more "money" they get. To ensure this can't be faked, we pick a problem that's hard for a computer to solve, but easy to verify once we have the answer, like figuring out the prime factors of a very large number. Say I give you the number 944,838,020,200,283,264 and I tell you there are only two prime numbers that, when multiplied together, will give that result. Your computer has to do a lot of work to come up with the answer (in this case 961,749,703 and 982,415,713), but it's very easy for me to multiply them together, check the result, and verify that you did in fact perform the calculation. Digital currency is just people paying for stuff with these "mathematical solutions" instead of dollars.

How is it helpful to know the prime factors of a large number? It's not, the solution is worthless on its own. It serves only as a hard problem to make your computer do work so that people can't create arbitrary amounts of digital currency from thin air. So why are people willing to accept it as money? Because we need some kind of digital currency, and enough people have all agreed to accept it in exchange for goods and services that it has value.

There are some cryptocurrencies like gridcoin which use problems that actually have scientific value, but they aren't very popular at the moment. Fewer people are willing to accept them, so their value is lower and more prone to fluctuation. Personally I think they're a much better use of computing power, but the in-browser client only mines monero, so that's what we're going with for now.

What about Quantum computers that can solve these equations almost instantly?

Doesn't NASA and Google own quantum computers now?

Seems to me that if quantum computers catch on "bitcoin" will become worthless fast if what you said is true.

Offlinethelastoneleft
Stranger

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: MollyLucyMaryJane]
    #24676740 - 10/01/17 10:40 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Dumb idea

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24676766 - 10/01/17 10:53 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Dumb idea

agreed.
There is a much better way to ask for cash assistance and it would be far more lucrative. Take Wikipedias example for instance.
Just ASK your loyal members for some donation help.

If you posted a sticky on all forums saying you needed help keeping this website afloat, I would happily donate 5$ to keep the Shroomery alive. I would Never use my PC to mine bitcoin though.

Offlinethelastoneleft
Stranger

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: MollyLucyMaryJane]
    #24676780 - 10/01/17 11:01 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MollyLucyMaryJane said:
Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Dumb idea

agreed.
There is a much better way to ask for cash assistance and it would be far more lucrative. Take Wikipedias example for instance.

If you posted a sticky on all forums saying you needed help keeping this website afloat, I would happily donate 5$ to keep the Shroomery alive. I would Never use my PC to mine bitcoin though.

Okay the fool who's talking quantum computation of intellectual property and net currency is talking out of his ass. Their is a medium where would be easy for me to be worth billions bit coins, if currency valued them at say a dollar. Won't work.

Offlinethelastoneleft
Stranger

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24676789 - 10/01/17 11:03 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Globally we are headed to a different type of currency, will be awhile.

#24676823 - 10/01/17 11:14 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Quote:

MollyLucyMaryJane said:
Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Dumb idea

agreed.

Okay the fool who's talking quantum computation of intellectual property and net currency is talking out of his ass. Their is a medium where would be easy for me to be worth billions bit coins, if currency valued them at say a dollar. Won't work.

Explain why.
It has been proven quantum computing could break most encryption methods that use large prime numbers for encryption and frankly your post does not make any sense, or argument rather, why quantum computing could not be used to perform these prime number calculations very quickly.

Here are links from relatively reputable websites to support my claims.
Please provide some of your own to continue this debate "thelastoneleft"

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/quantum-computers-quantum-security-encryption

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

This is a particularly interesting example.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/amycastor/2017/08/25/why-quantum-computings-threat-to-bitcoin-and-blockchain-is-a-long-way-off/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

While there is a debate as to how long it will be before quantum computers manage to solve these "prime number" equations, it is inevitable that they will be able to do so.
With the recent trend of breakthrough technology only a fool would invest in bitcoin when a relatively simple technology that would render "bitcoin" worthless is right around the corner.

Quote from Forbes:
"In a similar vein, quantum computing could also break the digital signatures used in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. And the upshot of that is not good."

Edited by MollyLucyMaryJane (10/01/17 11:20 PM)

Offlinethelastoneleft
Stranger

#24676882 - 10/01/17 11:37 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MollyLucyMaryJane said:
Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Quote:

MollyLucyMaryJane said:
Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
Dumb idea

agreed.

Explain why.
It has been proven quantum computing could break most encryption methods that use large prime numbers for encryption and frankly your post does not make any sense, or argument rather, why quantum computing could not be used to perform these prime number calculations very quickly.

Here are links from relatively reputable websites to support my claims.
Please provide some of your own to continue this debate "thelastoneleft"

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/quantum-computers-quantum-security-encryption

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

This is a particularly interesting example.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/amycastor/2017/08/25/why-quantum-computings-threat-to-bitcoin-and-blockchain-is-a-long-way-off/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

While there is a debate as to how long it will be before quantum computers manage to solve these "prime number" equations, it is inevitable that they will be able to do so.
With the recent trend of breakthrough technology only a fool would invest in bitcoin when a relatively simple technology that would render "bitcoin" worthless is right around the corner.

Quote from Forbes:
"In a similar vein, quantum computing could also break the digital signatures used in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. And the upshot of that is not good."

You may have said too much.

#24677012 - 10/02/17 12:45 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thelastoneleft said:
You may have said too much.

Not scared.

OfflineMattle
Puddledweller
    #24677843 - 10/02/17 11:15 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

All right, just registered for some identifications and this seems like the best place since the dawn of online shroom discussions. Loving this feature, I think granting users boons for viewing adds or mining cryptocurrency by alotting some hardware oomph is a great idea and I hope more websites follow suit. Makes sense that a forum for psychedelics would be one of the early adopters of such forward thinking. :3

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #24678867 - 10/02/17 05:56 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

moonrockmushy said:
Ok I'm in, please don't fuck my bandwith Ythan, but you can rape my hardware all you like.

am I crypto mining right now?  how do I find out I was so drunk.  I have noticed some problems since with memory freezes.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom