Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining * 7
    #24655370 - 09/24/17 08:42 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

So there's this new service called Coinhive which makes it simple to embed a cryptocurrency miner in a web page. Basically, your browser can earn money for the Shroomery by solving problems in the background while you view the site. I'm not entirely sure it will be worth it for you, or for us; browser-based mining is not super-efficient and it can heat up your computer and burn through battery so it may not be ideal for laptops and mobile devices. But as an experiment we figured we'd add the option and see how it goes.

To enable this feature, you can head on over to your basic preferences and scroll to the bottom where there's an option to "mine cryptocurrency to help out the Shroomery and double your image uploads". This option does what it says, it will give you twice the total upload space and double your weekly and daily upload limits when it's enabled. If you disable the option in the future, no images will be deleted, but you'll go back to your original upload limits. If this causes you to exceed your quota, you'll have to manually remove some pictures before you're able to upload more.

Note that if you enable this feature, your browser will download and run Javascript from Coinhive, and send results to their server. You may wish to read their privacy policy before participating.

Please give it a try and let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrMoon
Hellbound Hell Hound
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan] * 2
    #24655469 - 09/24/17 09:39 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah it would be better if the bitcoins went to us.
Thanks

--------------------
Bring your love baby Imma bring my Shame Bring the drugs baby Imma bring my pain

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: MrMoon] * 3
    #24655486 - 09/24/17 09:49 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need our help for that, just download a bitcoin miner and go nuts. This thread is about browser-based mining on the Shroomery to unlock extra upload space.

OfflineMrMoon
Hellbound Hell Hound
Male User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan]
    #24655497 - 09/24/17 09:51 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I'm just messing with you ythan.

--------------------
Bring your love baby Imma bring my Shame Bring the drugs baby Imma bring my pain

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan]
    #24655498 - 09/24/17 09:52 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

whats in it for me? 

I want my 10%

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

InvisibleCyrus19
Represents Enlil's Hope

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: sprinkles]
    #24655516 - 09/24/17 09:56 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sprinkles said:
whats in it for me? 

I want my 10%

Sprinkles raises a fair point since our computers are performing labor why not compensate the laborers? Ten percent sounds fair.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan] * 4
    #24655567 - 09/24/17 10:13 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sprinkles said:
whats in it for me? 

Quote:

Ythan said:
it will give you twice the total upload space and double your weekly and daily upload limits when it's enabled.

--------------------

InvisibleCyrus19
Represents Enlil's Hope

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Shroomism] * 1
    #24655571 - 09/24/17 10:14 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

sprinkles said:
whats in it for me? 

Quote:

Ythan said:
it will give you twice the total upload space and double your weekly and daily upload limits when it's enabled.

Not good enough cold hard digital bitcoin will suffice. Perhaps create a clock in system to measure how much a user contributes and then every month throw them ten percent.

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Ythan] * 4
    #24655592 - 09/24/17 10:20 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

more pic upload space to post more pics and make shroomery more money?  oh you spoil me.  you already have more money than I do.  that is america for you.  it's greed.

I need to pay for this drone I bought so I dont have to take it back.  There is a hummingbird that beats on all the other hummingbirds.  i am using a drone to make it quit it and stop.

here have some $ 

--------------------

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: sprinkles] * 1
    #24655606 - 09/24/17 10:24 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

their little tiny feet crack me up.  they are like non existant little feet.  those little birds are fun to watch.

--------------------

OfflineMrMoon
Hellbound Hell Hound
Male User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: sprinkles] * 2
    #24655613 - 09/24/17 10:26 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

This thread is not about birds feet sprinkles.

--------------------

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: MrMoon] * 1
    #24655636 - 09/24/17 10:33 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

sorry.  i'm passionate about birds I guess.  I didnt use to be.  I used to hate them.  Not sure why God would create a creature that has diarrhea all its life.  Plus too they tend to make a lot of noise. 

um so let me get this straight... I can download some coin thing where if people look at photos I post on the internets I, myself (not shroomery) can make money?

I am turning into a privacy psycho, im sure no matter what the earning potential is it wont be worth the cost of privacy.  i think most people dont care about that.  they figure "i dont have anything to hide so violate me at your will."  same society that buys products that knowingly cause cancer because "everything causes cancer."  fucking stupidity at its best.  I dont know how i have managed to live on the planet with people this long.  good god, HOW do i live?  :wtfsonic:

if there is something in it for me other than burning up my computer for others profit I would consider it.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: sprinkles] * 3
    #24655651 - 09/24/17 10:39 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

You can mine cryptocurrency on your own, if you want. This thread was about Ythan's test thingy. Stop bringing the liberal entitlement everywhere, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Your reward is helping the site that lets you post

The gains are probably abysmal anyway, it's browser-based mining. It's not like the Shroomery is a cash farm.

--------------------

InvisibleONE OZ SLUG
-
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: sprinkles] * 3
    #24655653 - 09/24/17 10:40 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sprinkles said:
more pic upload space to post more pics and make shroomery more money?  oh you spoil me.  you already have more money than I do.  that is america for you.  it's greed.

No one is making you do it. If you did, you'd be supporting the site you're posting on anyway. Since Ythan's the one who made the site in the first place, I'd say every cent he makes is well earned. What have you done lately?

That's America for you. People who are accomplished earn the money while the people who can't continue to sulk about :cookiemonster:

Carry on, Y

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Cyrus19] * 6
    #24655664 - 09/24/17 10:43 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

As an experimental feature, we're just evaluating whether it's even worth pursuing. What's in it for you right now is that you get double the storage space for image uploads. But we are tracking earning on an individual basis so we know how much each user has contributed. If we end up keeping the system, we'll be able to offer things like credits in our store and discounts on merchandise. As of this post, we've made $0.0009704816 (a little less than one tenth of a cent), so it's not like we're anticipating a huge payday or anything. But I added a line under the option to mine cryptocurrency which tells you how many hashes you've calculated and how much you've earned in USD. When you see the rate of returns, you may start feeling that double storage space is pretty generous. :lol:

OfflineHalf-ass Astronaut
Professional amateur

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: ONE OZ SLUG]
    #24655666 - 09/24/17 10:44 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Can someone explain in retard terms what this would do?

I never understood this Bitcoin thing.

InvisibleBlend
afferent orchestra
 User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Half-ass Astronaut] * 9
    #24655710 - 09/24/17 11:02 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure cryptography can be easily explained in retard terms.

InvisibleCyrus19
Represents Enlil's Hope

#24655760 - 09/24/17 11:21 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
As an experimental feature, we're just evaluating whether it's even worth pursuing. What's in it for you right now is that you get double the storage space for image uploads. But we are tracking earning on an individual basis so we know how much each user has contributed. If we end up keeping the system, we'll be able to offer things like credits in our store and discounts on merchandise. As of this post, we've made $0.0009704816 (a little less than one tenth of a cent), so it's not like we're anticipating a huge payday or anything. But I added a line under the option to mine cryptocurrency which tells you how many hashes you've calculated and how much you've earned in USD. When you see the rate of returns, you may start feeling that double storage space is pretty generous. :lol:

Fair enough

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

#24655776 - 09/24/17 11:28 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

if you make that little would you be willing to show how much shroomery has collected & earned through the members efforts?

as soon as I find my debt card i'll buy another supporter account thing.  Cause I like the pretty colors in the name.  plus too i like pudding.

@whoever you are :lickass:

--------------------

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: Experimental: Double your image uploads w/ cryptocurrency mining [Re: Half-ass Astronaut] * 8
    #24655822 - 09/24/17 11:44 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

At its most basic: people pay money for your computer to do work.

Slightly more advanced: people want an anonymous digital currency that's not controlled by a central bank and can't be forged. As the basis of this currency, everyone agrees we'll have our computers do work, and the more work someone's computer does the more "money" they get. To ensure this can't be faked, we pick a problem that's hard for a computer to solve, but easy to verify once we have the answer, like figuring out the prime factors of a very large number. Say I give you the number 944,838,020,200,283,264 and I tell you there are only two prime numbers that, when multiplied together, will give that result. Your computer has to do a lot of work to come up with the answer (in this case 961,749,703 and 982,415,713), but it's very easy for me to multiply them together, check the result, and verify that you did in fact perform the calculation. Digital currency is just people paying for stuff with these "mathematical solutions" instead of dollars.

How is it helpful to know the prime factors of a large number? It's not, the solution is worthless on its own. It serves only as a hard problem to make your computer do work so that people can't create arbitrary amounts of digital currency from thin air. So why are people willing to accept it as money? Because we need some kind of digital currency, and enough people have all agreed to accept it in exchange for goods and services that it has value.

There are some cryptocurrencies like gridcoin which use problems that actually have scientific value, but they aren't very popular at the moment. Fewer people are willing to accept them, so their value is lower and more prone to fluctuation. Personally I think they're a much better use of computing power, but the in-browser client only mines monero, so that's what we're going with for now.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder