Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering?
    #24654545 - 09/23/17 10:33 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So I have moved my seedling from my grow box outdoors under a porch. In the recent days it has gotten colder, and the has happening to my seedling within the past 2 days. Lowest temperature was 44F, is this rot due to cold or am I over watering or what else can it be? Huge thanks guys :smile:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: Mrvince]
    #24654566 - 09/23/17 10:49 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Its weeping black rot. Not deadly but it doesnt make them look any prettier. Drain that shit if you want. Id monitor it closely and if need be amputate.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: ferrel_human]
    #24654571 - 09/23/17 10:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I will check on it tomorrow and see how it is.

OfflinePinkTarantula
Male

Loc: Georgia Flag
    #24654598 - 09/23/17 11:00 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

It can also be caused by a fungus I believe. I think if you were overwatering you would’ve seen the issue at the base, not the tip. I don’t know that 44 is low enough to cause much damage to a trich but I guess if the plant isn’t acclimated it could. If I were you I’d get a sterile blade and start neatly cutting away at it until your past the rot though. I THINK the next step is to dust with cinnamon or sulfur. I am by no means an expert so take my word with a grain of salt.

Edit: Definitely listen to FH over me.  :lipsrsealed:

Edited by PinkTarantula (09/23/17 11:01 PM)

OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: PinkTarantula]
    #24674175 - 10/01/17 03:40 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

After cutting the rot off it has returned. Do I cut more of it before it spreads?

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
    #24674229 - 10/01/17 04:26 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Sterilize your grow area, tools, pots, hands; get fresh soil, move your cacti to a different location.

I would recommend cutting 1/2-1" below the rot and not trying to do surgery so-to-speak by removing pieces at a time. Constant stress will allow the pathogen easier and quicker attacks in the future.

What's your water source? Might want to carbon filter it or better if a better option is available.

My philosophy when fighting pathogens is not to eliminate symptoms from the plant but to figure out where it's coming from and put up a blockade; or positively ID the pathogen and interrupt its life cycle.

Cinnamon powder I believe does have antibacterial/antimicrobial/antifungal properties but I can not say anything towards its efficacy on whatever pathogen is causing this.

Anyone know the taxonomy of this weeping black rot pathogen?

OP do the rotted sections smell noticeably putrid?

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: Zombi3]
    #24674257 - 10/01/17 05:02 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
Sterilize your grow area, tools, pots, hands; get fresh soil, move your cacti to a different location.

I would recommend cutting 1/2-1" below the rot and not trying to do surgery so-to-speak by removing pieces at a time. Constant stress will allow the pathogen easier and quicker attacks in the future.

What's your water source? Might want to carbon filter it or better if a better option is available.

My philosophy when fighting pathogens is not to eliminate symptoms from the plant but to figure out where it's coming from and put up a blockade; or positively ID the pathogen and interrupt its life cycle.

Cinnamon powder I believe does have antibacterial/antimicrobial/antifungal properties but I can not say anything towards its efficacy on whatever pathogen is causing this.

Anyone know the taxonomy of this weeping black rot pathogen?

OP do the rotted sections smell noticeably putrid?

I will move my cactus to the sun. My water source is just plain tap water from the hose. I had 1 more cacti that had rot and it did not come back when I used the cinnamon powder. I guess when I cut it I'll put cinnamon powder this time.

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: Zombi3]
    #24674259 - 10/01/17 05:04 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps either of these, or related?

Romanian site, google translated a couple.

http://www.botanistii.ro/blog/tratamente-informatii-flori-cactusi/

Phoma cereicola
The disease is manifested by the appearance of spots of different shapes. Stains are prominent, yellowish-brown-blackish. They may be disposed in isolation or occupy large portions of the plant. On the surface of the spots appear black spots, which represent the fruiting of the fungus. The fungus is transmitted through the seeds.

Methods of prevention and control:

• heavily affected plants are destroyed;
  • the seeds are spraying preventively with a solution of Zeama Bordeleza 1%;

Phomopsis
Attack of the fungus is characterized by the appearance of spots of different shapes on the cactus stems. Also, attacked tissues are submerged and have a yellowish or whitish color. Most often the epidermis in affected areas is cracked. Aside from the spots, brown circles are formed, which represent the fruiting of the fungus. The mushroom is transmitted by signs.

Methods of prevention and control:

• heavily affected plants are destroyed;
  • the seeds are spraying preventively with a solution of Zeama Bordeleza 1%;

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: San Pedros Seedling rot from cold or overwatering? [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #24674273 - 10/01/17 05:23 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mostly_Harmless said:Zeama Bordeleza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture

Quote:

Bordeaux mixture (also called Bordo Mix) is a mixture of copper(II) sulfate (CuSO4) and slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) used as a fungicide. It is used in vineyards, fruit-farms and gardens to prevent infestations of downy mildew, powdery mildew and other fungi. It is sprayed on plants as a preventative; its mode of action is ineffective after a fungus has become established. It was invented in the Bordeaux region of France in the late 19th century. If it is applied in large quantities annually for many years, the copper in the mixture eventually becomes a pollutant.

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24674572 - 10/01/17 10:24 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Great so systemic fungal pathogens for which the only true control is eradication of all infected plant material?
You know maybe one could try a systemic fungicide however you don't know what that will mean for the plants edibility.
I have suspected my plumeria and one of my Brugmansia cuttings has Phomopsis as it's reported in my area, in vineyards if I recal correctly.

I fucking hate "super pathogens", those ones where you really can't do shit and gotta toss every pot an infected plant has been in as well as every plant that's been in any of those pots whether it's showing symptoms or not.

I accidentally brought home a few peonies this year before a thrip outbreak a few weeks later. Well what would you know the peonies had a virus that showed itself a month or so later when nights were warm and wet, and after the thrip had been nuked:

I suspect either tobacco rattle virus which iirc is synonymous with corky ringspot virus; or tobacco/tomato mosaic. All of which can be thrip vectored and maybe aphid vectored. And I can't remember exactly which one it is that can be manually vectored simply by touching an infected plant and subsequently touching a non infected plant but I think it's tobacco mosaic. The worst part about viruses is the plant can be full on infected while showing no symptoms and is capable of spreading the virus even without symptoms.

Does anyone know of a list of viruses that Trichocereus can host?

I threw out all my soil, all my pots some tools, a bunch of soil mixing bins, etc as well as all the obviously infected plants. Then i treated for thrip, aphid, leafhopper, and spider mite using biological controls for over a month and I'm still paranoid as fuck that I'll see virus symptoms show up sooner or later on what plants I still have as I know those fucking thrip most probably took at least one bite out of every one of my plants.

I've sort of gotten off track here so to relate this to the cactus black wilt I would identify what vectors it (fungus gnat?) and control the vector first while isolating any known infected plants until you know whether or not this particular fungus can be killed, or only suppressed. Fungi are bloody assholes and many can stay dormant on plastic pots, in soil, plant debris etc... Some examples would be thielaviopsis, phytopthera, pythium, and fusarium. All of which can cause wilting symptoms, root rots, soft rots..
Its a lot easier to narrow down the list of potential pathogens fucking up your garden if you're actively monitoring for pests.

In my opinion, any threshold of thrip, leafhopper, or fungus gnat is unacceptable and should be eradicated thoroughly as quickly as possible. Same goes for any solanaceae or asteraceae family weeds that self plant themselves in or around your garden. Many of the wild nightshades have been found to be carriers of various disease and virus.

Let me put the bong down and go get a picture of one of my cactus root stocks (Pachanoi) that might look pretty dam close to that picture of phomopsis that mostly harmless just posted.

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24674656 - 10/01/17 11:02 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Compare the discolouration between the ribs on your example of phomopsis in cacti to this:

I hope it's nothing.

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24678953 - 10/02/17 08:22 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Huge thanks for the info and pictures. It looks like my rot is spreading again -.- I want to cut her but with this information now I'm thinking about cutting the cacti at the red line due to the spot it has in the blue circle. Is this the best thing to do. Then after the cut add cinnamon powder and hope for the best?

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24679194 - 10/02/17 09:37 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That is how I would proceed indeed.
Additionally I would cut lower if upon making that cut you find any discolouration inside that seems to be traveling down. And I would investigate the roots, you’re not going to harm or hinder that cacti any more than the disease pressure is by uprooting it but you may find something pertinent to saving your cacti.
Post pics of roots if you go that route. It’s curious to me that it’s flopping at the base like it is while none of your others are.

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden