Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
"Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations?
    #10713605 - 07/21/09 07:40 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I was poking around in the Interweb searching for information on antibiotic agar formulations when I discovered this research extract that covers a study on different sterilization methods of antibacterial herbal extracts and their effects on bacterial growth.  The plant found most effective in the study was Euphorbia hirta, a plant used for asthma treatments among other things.  The extract itself was autoclaved and continued effectively inhibit bacterial growth.  One of the statements I found most interesting was:

Quote:

The most frustrating problem confronting attempts to antibacterial activity of herbal plants by disk diffusion method is contamination by other moulds and fungus...

I've found other studies on similar subjects, like...  Antibacterial  activity of raspberry cordial.  It was found to be effective against Salmonella, Shigella and E. coli.  I'm not sure of any antifungal properties raspberry cordial might have, but raspberries seem to get moldy pretty quick in the fridge!  It may be worth a shot to test both of these substances.  Asthma weed seeds and tinctures are readily available on the net, and you can get raspberries year round thanks to globalization and the exploitation of agricultural labor.

So has anyone pursued anything similar?

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Edited by Paresthesia (07/22/09 05:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: Paresthesia]
    #10719150 - 07/22/09 05:33 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I found a site that offers Euphorbia hirta seeds, dried herb material and tinctures.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Edited by Paresthesia (07/22/09 07:20 AM)

OfflineFNFAL
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10730581 - 07/24/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I know garlic has massive antibacterial properites. Perhaps you could add garlic oil when making plates.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: FNFAL]
    #10731776 - 07/24/09 08:06 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I ordered some euphorbia leaf yesterday, and I attempted to make up some raspberry agar.  I substituted some of the sugar content in PDA recipe with pureed raspberries, making up the difference with corn dextrose.  I added about 7g of agar powder to 500ml of liquid, but it didn't seem to want to set up.  I'll try again this evening.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinecutemushie
Mushrooms are fascinating.
 User Gallery

Loc: Aus
    #10732996 - 07/24/09 01:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
I ordered some euphorbia leaf yesterday, and I attempted to make up some raspberry agar.  I substituted some of the sugar content in PDA recipe with pureed raspberries, making up the difference with corn dextrose.  I added about 7g of agar powder to 500ml of liquid, but it didn't seem to want to set up.  I'll try again this evening.

checked the ph?

--------------------
HAVE: Paneolus cyanescence, Paneolus cambodgiensis, Psilocybe cubensis, Flammulina velutipe (white, and brown Korean strain), Hericium erinaceous, Coprinus atramentarius, Coprinus comatus, Agrocybe aegerita, Pleurotus eryngii, Psilocybe subaeruginosa, Ganoderma lucidum, Pleurotus nebrodensis, Lepista nuda, Agaricus augustus, Pleurotus cystidiosus, Volvariella speciosa.

LOOKING FOR: Those that I don't have.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: cutemushie]
    #10733282 - 07/24/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Does pH affect agar's ability to set up?  I would imagine it to be pretty acidic, considering!

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinecutemushie
 User Gallery

#10736563 - 07/25/09 02:01 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.  I read somewhere that it does affect the ability of agar to set.

cheers,
cutemushie

--------------------
HAVE: Paneolus cyanescence, Paneolus cambodgiensis, Psilocybe cubensis, Flammulina velutipe (white, and brown Korean strain), Hericium erinaceous, Coprinus atramentarius, Coprinus comatus, Agrocybe aegerita, Pleurotus eryngii, Psilocybe subaeruginosa, Ganoderma lucidum, Pleurotus nebrodensis, Lepista nuda, Agaricus augustus, Pleurotus cystidiosus, Volvariella speciosa.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#10742143 - 07/26/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So what would you recommend for raising the pH?

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinecutemushie
 User Gallery

#10747666 - 07/27/09 06:01 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know.  I haven't done anything about pH before.  Maybe slake lime?  I don't like messing around with the pH.

--------------------

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#10758565 - 07/28/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I discovered that I have some soda ash (sodium carbonate) lying around from some tye-dye projects, so I gave that a shot.  I got the pH to around 5.5 and the agar seems to be setting up nicely, so the experiment continues.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleMethadone
Opiate
 User Gallery

Loc: El Sur
    #10764336 - 07/29/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I dont know if you got my PM or not, but have you considered freezing/thawing/refreezing the raspberries to liquefy them? You said you pureed them, it would seem that a filtered liquid would be the best to work with.

-M

OfflineKillrX
In a Prple HaZe
Male

Loc: Lost in,Florida
Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: Methadone]
    #10787698 - 08/02/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

my friend used organic red seaweedand used a lil hydrogen peroxide to keep sterile worked wonders got two petris isolated 10x over and the grow pretty shrooms

--------------------
Iam Insane and You are My Insanity.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: KillrX]
    #10790893 - 08/03/09 07:59 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I use peroxided agar at times, but you can't germinate spores on peroxide agar, at least not easily.  The whole point of this project is to find an easy medium for spore work.  Gentamicin is available from one vendor I know of, and it's kind of expensive, and mail order can be a real pain.  (I always feel bad about ordering just one thing, like it's wasteful, so I order stuff I don't need.  The Internets are a scam!)  If I can just throw a little euphorbia tea or fruit juice into my agar mix, it could save me some cash and inconvenience.

Now for an update...

My euphorbia leaf and seeds have arrived!

I ended up using the raspberry agar to start some Laetiporus cincinnatus and Pleurotus nebrodensis spores last week, and I'm not seeing bacterial contamination yet.  I am getting some spore germination, though!  Will post pics as soon as my camera gets back from being repaired.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinemycot
Crazy as fuck
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10795822 - 08/03/09 11:09 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
I ended up using the raspberry agar to start some Laetiporus cincinnatus and Pleurotus nebrodensis spores last week, and I'm not seeing bacterial contamination yet.

While this is encouraging, as it stands it doesn't really test the antibacterial properties of the agar very well. You may wish to try something a little more rigorus like direct cloning of stem tissue(fresh or dried) without too much preliminary cleanup. Just enough to get rid of foreign fungal spores that may be on the surface which may be accomplished by rinsing in sterile water.
If this works it could become a very useful tek for cloning and for those wishing to clone from wild material.

Edited by mycot (08/03/09 11:12 PM)

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: mycot]
    #10799261 - 08/04/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

great work Paresthesia. having other natural products to help us against the contamination problem is very helpful. i'm sure there are other natural antibiotics too, that might be beneficial for us.

here is at least an interesting start.

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_antibi.htm
here is the text of the site

Quote:

Natural Antibiotics & Antiseptics
Natural Remedies
Carob powder is rich in tannins which manifest strong anti-viral properties and may work as well as antibiotics for certain bacteria-induced diseases, such as diarrhea.

Colloidal silver has been successfully used for over a century as a powerful antibiotic and is known to kill over 650 disease organisms. Many organisms live for only a few minutes in the presence of silver.

Grapefruit seed extract This extract is a powerful all-around antimicrobial product and is an excellent disinfectant. Grapefruit seed extract has a wide variety of uses and comes in a liquid, capsules and tablets. For antiseptic uses make a solution of 4-40 drops in four ounces of water and apply to the affected areas with a cotton ball two or three times a day or as a spray for larger areas. Can be used as a spray for babies. Carefully spray the area covered by diapers at each changing, being careful to keep out of the baby's eyes. This should clear up any diaper rash in five to seven days.

Honey Researchers at the Waikato University in New Zealand have discovered the remarkable ability of honey as an antibacterial agent. Honey may be applied full strength or diluted as much as 10:1 and will completely halt the growth of all the major wound-infecting species of bacteria. They also found that honey was, in some cases, superior to antibiotics in dealing with drug-resistant strains of bacteria. Use for bites, stings, cuts or any topical infection.

Molkosan, a product derived from concentrated whey, the bi-product of cheese manufacture, has been used effectively against fungal infections and is an excellent antiseptic. The good results may be from the lactic acid and lactic enzymes. Use as you would iodine.

Olive leaf extract (calcium elenolate) The olive leaf contains a phytochemical called oleuropein, whose active ingredient, elenolic acid has shown powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral effects. It has proven to be useful in cases of yeast and fungal infections, herpes, chronic fatigue, allergies and psoriasis. Since it works like a broad-spectrum antibiotic, it is useful against colds, flu, and upper respiratory and sinus infections. In addition, users have claimed that it can help lower blood sugar, normalize arrhythmias, inhibit oxidation of LDL (the bad cholesterol), and relax arterial walls, thereby helping to lower blood pressure. Other reported benefits are that it boosts energy and eases pain, such as from hemorrhoids, toothaches and arthritis.

St. John's wort (hypericum) can also be used as an antiseptic. Dab it on externally.

Tea tree oil is an exceptional natural antibiotic. Tea tree oil, derived from the leaves of the native Australian Melaleuca alternifolia tree, contains antiseptic compounds that are a very effective skin disinfectant. Depending on severity, use 5-15% solutions daily. It has proven beneficial in treating acne, athlete's foot, ringworm, jock itch, fungal infections of the toenail or fingernails, yeast infections, wound healing and bad breath, among others. For wound cleansing or a douche for yeast infections, make a 10% solution (about 1½ tablespoons to a cup of warm water). Make sure the product label says it is 100% pure tea tree oil.

as FNFAL said, garlic is also a natural antibiotic. so we have a few more things to play with.

thanks for starting this thread, Paresthesia.

houdinihar

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: mycot]
    #10804010 - 08/05/09 09:16 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

While this is encouraging, as it stands it doesn't really test the antibacterial properties of the agar very well. You may wish to try something a little more rigorus like direct cloning of stem tissue(fresh or dried) without too much preliminary cleanup. Just enough to get rid of foreign fungal spores that may be on the surface which may be accomplished by rinsing in sterile water.

You are absolutely correct in that this is a lousy experiment.  I will make a much more scientific go at it soon.  So far I'm seeing plenty of fungal activity, but no greasy patches from bacterial contamination.

When I repeat this test, I'm just going to streak plates with something nasty like chunks of food dug out of the kitchen garbage disposal.  They should be loaded with bacteria.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineKrombopulosM
Mycoshaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Northeast Florida Flag
    #24654477 - 09/23/17 07:57 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: KrombopulosM]
    #24660865 - 09/26/17 07:43 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Ood thread but interesting enough. Hop bitter acids are probably the next most antibacterial things to actual antibiotics for media

So just homebrew something up with more than 20-30 IBUs. And try that.

Isohumulone is an ionophore inhibitor and kills bacteria that way.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

OfflineKrombopulosM
Mycoshaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Northeast Florida Flag
Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24662431 - 09/26/17 07:29 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

yea i feel like im several tests away before i get a good AA tek down. all for fun and furthering of knowledge. ill post as i progress, journal most likely.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: "Home Brewed" Anti-Bacterial Agar Formulations? [Re: KrombopulosM]
    #24677342 - 10/02/17 08:06 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I extracted some rosemary essential oil via steam distillation and used the water left in the pot for agar in hopes it would be antibacterial since it's full of tannins and whatever other components. It's basically rosemary tea, although most of the essential oils have been stripped from it. I have no conclusive data as to whether it worked, but I can say that I had two cultures growing on MEA that looked to have bacterial contamination (sludgy/oily spots, and later weird uneven growth). I transferred them to this agar (PDA + rosemary infusion) and the growth is pure white, healthy, even, and no signs of contamination. Did it actually work? Idk.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale