Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Dehydrator, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEvo1995
Stranger
Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator
    #24653733 - 09/23/17 03:07 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Soon I will be harvesting some mushrooms for the first time and I'm looking into how to go about drying them for long term storage. I've decided to go ahead and get a food dehydrator since that seems to be the easiest and most foolproof way. Would this one that I've linked work well? Also any information or links to guides on how to use one to dry mushrooms would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ronco-5-Tray-Food-Dehydrator-FD1005WHGEN/203079991?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29A+Small+Appliances|_pkw__pmt__product_203079991&mid=sBOurJwpQ|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_51166493982_pkw__pmt__product_203079991_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt6z0iP271gIVhLjACh2PZwfhEAkYASABEgJkYvD_BwE

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: Evo1995] * 1
    #24653736 - 09/23/17 03:09 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

PERFECT!!

:raisemyglass: : :cheersyoufuck:  :fuckyeah:

how to dry mushrooms.

i need to rewrite that...:rolleyes:

OfflineEvo1995
Stranger
Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: mushboy]
    #24653747 - 09/23/17 03:22 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So just put them in there and let them dry for 24 hours? Sounds good!

OfflinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: Evo1995]
    #24653751 - 09/23/17 03:24 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

:thaaannks:

OfflineWienerwoods
Stranger

Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: Evo1995]
    #24653755 - 09/23/17 03:26 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

There are countless threads on Shroomery about the subject. Do a search once in a while.

I use mine to dry at 60°C for 12 hours. Sometimes big fruits take a few additional hours before they're cracker dry. In any case, get one with a thermostat.

--------------------

OfflinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: Wienerwoods]
    #24653764 - 09/23/17 03:31 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Wienerwoods said:
Do a search once in a while.

how dare you bash this kind of drying thread. these are the ones we need1! hes doing it right.

Quote:

I use mine to dry at 60°C for 12 hours.

and id dry them at 180f. 140 is too low for me.:smirk:

OfflineWienerwoods
Stranger

Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: mushboy]
    #24654256 - 09/23/17 07:44 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I really cannot tell if you're being sarcastic. I'd think you agree duplicates are unnecessary.

I checked out your thread - good stuff. I actually did not know that drying the mushrooms 'past' evident cracker-dryness makes them stay that way longer. I thought they just absorb moisture from the air fairly quickly. That said, I store mine with desiccant so 12 hours is sufficient.

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Terr...
Trusted Cultivator
    #24654515 - 09/23/17 10:17 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Wienerwoods said:
I store mine with desiccant so 12 hours is sufficient.

It's really not though. Moisture in the mushrooms means your actives are degrading, so get it all out ASAP.

There's no set amount of time, but 24 hours seems to always do it, even with some giants I've grown that were 20ish grams dry.

The only trick I know is to put the bigger ones on the bottom, closer to the heat. They're 100% dry when the caps won't wiggle at all anymore. And cut your mushrooms, don't twist & pull. That'll save you on dirt in the motor and will make your dehydrator last years.

Don't trust the stem snapping, I've had false positives when I needed to dry them as quick as possible (had a few more lb sitting in a box with a fan on it, waiting on the dehydrators), and I just ended up having to put them back in the dehydrator the next day when the moisture redistributed. They also got bruised all to Hell and back. Like black stems. Looked awful.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Robert Hunter said:
Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineWienerwoods
Stranger

Re: Drying Mushrooms with a Dehydrator [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #24655059 - 09/24/17 05:03 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I'm aware, moisture enables the enzymes that convert psilocybin into psilocin, which is then oxidized fairly quickly - practically all of the initial psilocin will be lost unless the mushrooms are dried in a vacuum or under inert atmosphere. However, I have never noticed this to be an issue. Even back in my PF-tek days when I fan-dried everything for 5-7 days and then kept them in a desiccant chamber for another week or so, I never observed appreciable differences in potency.

I believe for this enzymatic 'degradation' to happen effectively one would need to have the psilocybin in a heated solution.

After the first few hours of drying, when the bottom tray contents look dry, I usually switch the order of the trays. I also do cut the shrooms. Twisting and pulling has always done more harm than good for me.

I don't claim to know any absolute truths here; I'm just stating what works for me based on nothing but my personal experience in my particular conditions. But then, information like that might well prove counter-productive should new cultivators take it to heart without thoroughly questioning it as they many times do.

So I guess... Sorry? :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24655229 - 09/24/17 09:06 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

As far as I'm aware, moisture enables the enzymes that convert psilocybin into psilocin, which is then oxidized fairly quickly - practically all of the initial psilocin will be lost unless the mushrooms are dried in a vacuum or under inert atmosphere.

Of course there's more to it than that. After all a harvested mushroom is still very much alive and drying doesn't cause an instantaneous destruction of every cell. Enzymes can be inactivated by heat or changes in pH so it's hard to know how long they remain functional, but I suspect it's until the same time new bruising ceases to occur.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Dehydrator, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation