Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

****BROADBAND PHONES***
    #2439719 - 03/16/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

can braodband phones be taped i and do they keep logs of each call made and is there any programs to tell if it is

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: onetime]
    #2439901 - 03/16/04 02:58 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

paranoia will destroy ya.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2439947 - 03/16/04 03:10 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

I can't see why they couldn't be taped. Probably very easy to track. All you need to do is find an IP address.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: Lana]
    #2439986 - 03/16/04 03:22 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

do you think that you could use proxies with one i mean its all hardware so you would have to hardwire it to a proxie roter wiered for rj12 would that work then they wouldnt be albel to track shit if it was your phone um this is confuseing to me becouse only the FBI can get pc tap warents cant they i mean the police cant can they i thought all pc crime was delt with by the fbi i mean i dont even have one i was just wondering

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

InvisibleTHEBOSS
THE BOSS

#2462669 - 03/23/04 01:31 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

onetime said:
can braodband phones be taped i and do they keep logs of each call made and is there any programs to tell if it is

I use to work for a phone company and know for a fact ALL phones can be taped and ALL cell phones can be located within several miles or less from any laptop with the right software, passwords and an internet connection. Hard line phones can be taped by geting into a 5ESS machine, and your cell phone works off cell cites, do a seach on both to find out more information.

THE BOSS

--------------------
Mushbox Forum

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #2463809 - 03/23/04 01:08 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/22/internet.wiretaps.ap/index.html

Government wiretap plans may chill innovation
Monday, March 22, 2004 Posted: 11:20 AM EST (1620 GMT)

The government wants to approve some new online companies to ensure they offer wiretapping.

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- Before 8x8 Inc. launched an Internet phone service in late 2002, it drafted a business plan, set up its equipment, posted a Web site and began taking orders from customers. As with most online ventures, U.S. government approval wasn't needed.

That would change if the Department of Justice succeeds at persuading federal regulators to require new online communications services -- such as Internet calling -- to comply with wiretapping laws.

Critics, including some online businesses that are working with authorities to make their services wiretap-capable, say the DOJ proposal isn't just unprecedented and overzealous but also dangerously impractical.

It would chill innovation, they say, invade privacy and drive businesses outside the United States.

"No one in the Internet world is going to support this," said Bryan Martin, chief executive of 8x8, which sells the Packet8 phone service. "It's counter to everything we've done to date in terms of building the Internet as a free, anonymous and creative place."

The Justice Department, FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration are seeking what they call a clarification to an existing wiretap law called the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA).

The 1994 law requires telecommunications carriers to ensure equipment is capable of being tapped when there's a lawful order. It did not expand wiretap authority but tried to ensure that new technologies are capable of intercepting calls on par with the regular phone network.

The Justice Department says that, as the very nature of telecommunications changes, it's simply not working.

Without citing examples, the agency's lawyers say some providers of new communications services aren't complying and, as a result, surveillance targets are being lost and investigations hindered.

"These problems are real, not hypothetical, and their impact on the ability of ... law enforcement to protect the public is growing with each passing day," according to a petition sent to the Federal Communications Commission last week signed by Deputy Assistant Attorney General John G. Malcolm and colleagues from the FBI and DEA.

The petition seeks a rule stating that high-speed Internet access providers are covered by the wiretap law -- as well as communications services that displace traditional phone companies.

It argues, in effect, for establishing a government approval process that would be required before any new communications services launch.

"If the FBI had this power all along, would we even have the Internet today?" said Lee Tien, senior staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

At the crux of the debate is the fact that communications technologies once tied to telephone carriers' circuit-switched networks are no longer necessarily so.

Critics say the petition violates the spirit of the original law by seeking to broaden the definition of "communications carriers" to include what amount to information service providers.

The law thus could apply not only Internet phone systems but also to voice-enabled instant messaging, email and even gaming consoles -- anything that could replace old fashion phone calls.

Currently, the debate is centered on Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP) services, an increasingly popular technology that converts voice calls into data packets and streams them over the Internet.

In some cases, wiretapping simply isn't possible. In others, it appears to be but hasn't been fully tested. In all cases, companies say they don't want to trot out new services through the federal bureaucracy before releasing them.

"Let's just say if I had to get prior approval from this government, I probably would have taken my services to other governments," said Jeff Pulver, founder of Free World Dialup. "If I have an idea, I go for it, I build it up and I do it. Getting permission -- I stopped doing that a long time ago."

Pulver's service, which amounts to a directory service that links callers but doesn't carry the stream of bits from conversations, doesn't support wiretaps. But such calls could be captured by a caller's Internet service provider, he said.

When he gets valid subpoenas or court orders, Pulver said he supplies information to authorities. But companies outside the United States would not have to cooperate.

He mentioned Skype, a peer-to-peer-based telephony service with offices in Estonia and Sweden. Unlike major U.S. providers, Skype scrambles conversations, making it nearly impossible to decipher conversations quickly. Skype spokeswoman Kat James, reached via email, declined to comment.

Even VoIP companies like 8x8 and Vonage that are capable of -- and willing to comply with -- legal wiretap orders say the petition oversteps its bounds.

Justice Department officials declined to comment beyond the filing, which requested and appears to have received expedited review by the FCC. The deadline for the first round of comments is set for April 12.

"It's quite a breathtaking petition, not only in terms of the scope of coverage but also in the ambition of the legal argument," said Marc Rotenberg, director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center. "They seem to feel that they can get the FCC to give them what they want without having to go back to Congress."

As well, a dangerous precedent would be set by broadening the law so that it keeps up with future technologies before they're created.

"I think you'll start to see applications which have voice components but are not traditionally voice-replacement telephone services," Pulver said. "Does the FBI really want Xbox Live to be tapped?"

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Edited by Cow Shit Collector (03/23/04 01:09 PM)

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: Lana]
    #2465267 - 03/23/04 08:39 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

The VoIP phones/network will have the built in ability to be easily monitored by the government for investigative purposes, i.e. active monitoring just as a land line is listened in on now. Broadband internet also has a chance of becoming that way, data all looked at thoroughly and used as evidence later, but the chances of anything like this being insecure is pretty slim. Even from the government. I doubt the streams are raw voice data, and most phones out there now have built in encryption, even cordless. The laws may have passed with the promised intent of catching terrorists, but I can guarantee you, you will not find a terrorist using this advanced technology.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2469237 - 03/24/04 09:12 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Security comes with inconvenience. The more locks & doors the more keys & time it takes to get through them. But that's life, be it your house and/or your privacy in wider scope -- including the internet.

Why not simply type your messages and PGP them? If you really want to have voice, then PGP (the wav's converted to mp3's) and upload to a secret and only known to recipient/s shared cyber drive for the recipient/s "ears" only. Think of it as an encrypted "voice mail".

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: Starter]
    #2473737 - 03/25/04 04:31 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

^^^^^^^
seriously, if you PGP your shit there is no reason why you'd care if it could be intercepted. As long as you trust the person you're talking to (to be trustworthy AND smart), you're in the clear.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: phi1618]
    #2475902 - 03/26/04 05:13 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

The extra step of hiding the fact that you're using encryption (aka using a cyber drive and/or email accounts unknown bar to recipient/s) brings less suspicion on you if they are intercepting/snooping. It's just one more level of security.

If they see you're using PGP, they'd truly want to know what you're up to, and of course, since it's encrypted, well they'll remain in the dark. Though I don't know the laws as to whether you're forced to surrender keys & passphrase? I suppose one could claim they can't remember the passphrase, and the passphase is of course 30+ characters in length, so that rules out them getting lucky.

Which ever or what ever, PGP is vital for anything of any substance --including the PM'age in this site. Unfortuneatly too few people are using it.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: ****BROADBAND PHONES*** [Re: Starter]
    #2476156 - 03/26/04 08:56 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

they can brake that shit right quick thats why its hard to find any eyncyrtion that is over 1040bit you would need like 150000bit to be efective agenst them

--------------------

See?
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2476177 - 03/26/04 09:18 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Really?
See this article:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110841,00.asp

The FBI/CIA/NSA/ATF/EPA/TLA is unable to break PGP through cryptanalysis alone. You couldn't crack a 1028 key with years of computing time on all the computers on the world.

sorry - mistyped. wrote bits instead of bytes.

Edited by phi1618 (03/26/04 01:00 PM)

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#2476193 - 03/26/04 09:26 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

maby its better than i tought i use this one its less populur but i dont like it that mcuh

--------------------

See?

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2476589 - 03/26/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Just don't make the mistake of feeling too secure just because you use strong encryption. There are plenty of other possible holes in your security to worry about.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2477212 - 03/26/04 01:53 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

:blush:
actually, i did a little looking. I don't think encryption algorithms are quite as secure as I thought. 1024 bits should be enough, but best to use 2048 to be safe... should be plenty fast, and secure for years.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order