Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelimpbizkit3768
Stranger
Jar smell?
    #2463869 - 03/23/04 01:30 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

A friend of mine put 6 jars in his incubator about 3 days ago, throughout the 3 days he noticed a smell coming from the jars, should there be no smell at all or is this the BRF/Verm or contams? its not just one of the jars

--------------------
All my posts are for the cultivation of ideas in my head.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePseudoPsychoSix
Lucy in the Skywith Diamonds
Loc: where rocking horse peopl...
Re: Jar smell? *DELETED* [Re: limpbizkit3768]
    #2463878 - 03/23/04 01:32 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Post deleted by PseudoPsychoSix

Reason for deletion: Spring Cleaning. =)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Jar smell? [Re: PseudoPsychoSix]
    #2463884 - 03/23/04 01:34 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Smell is fine, but really nasty smell is bad. More info pleeze.

-Odium

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Jar smell? [Re: OJK]
    #2464012 - 03/23/04 02:19 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

If its not shroomey, like sour or eggy, you have contams, best ditch the stinky jars.

Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
Re: Jar smell? [Re: limpbizkit3768]
    #2464061 - 03/23/04 02:37 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

What does it smell like?  It could be the smell of cooked BRF or contams, contams stink. I doubt its a mushroomy smell after only 3 days!

If it stinks, toss it!! :razz:

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

OfflineLost4Life
Stranger
    #2464354 - 03/23/04 04:05 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

I had the same thing happen to me when i made my first batch. Dont worry wait a week the mycelim should grow. I discovered on mine that it was just sour vermiculite. But Brown rice Powder smells like shit n-e wayz.

--------------------
I was born to die

Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
    #2464465 - 03/23/04 04:35 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Whats does it smell like? Did you do a control jar or two? How many times has he grown. When the mycelia starts developing it is very easy to tell how healthy it is.

Old socks, trash, etc. = Bacteria. Toss it, I have seen the mycelia out compete it, but its not worth the risk. Other lighter, smells may be fine such a slightly sweet wet rice type smell. I have frequently had an earthy almost coffee type smell in good jars. In general, if it gets worse and you wouldn't want to smell it around the house, thats a bad sign. My last contaminated batch was obvious to my GF when I opened the incubator 10 days in and she was in the other room.

A test that's not totally safe but I like is to chuck one jar after 7-10 days with the smell. See what it smells like inside. If your contaminated there will be no question when you open it. Check the contam. forum. Someone posted a really good pictorial faq that has pictures of typical signs of bacteria ie. wet spots, stalled unhealthy mycelia, etc.

Also bleach your jars and your incubator before you use them again if it is bacterial.

What sterilization method are you using? Do you PC? I posted a similar question to the contam. forum a while back and I was suprised at how many people were critical of Steaming. I just got a PC and it makes a world of difference.

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: Jar smell? [Re: agentjrr]
    #2464483 - 03/23/04 04:41 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

if it smells like apples, get rid of it.
if it smells kinda like plants, it might be okay
if you smell it and wanna puke immediately afterwards, definately get rid of it

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Offlinelimpbizkit3768
Stranger
Re: Jar smell? [Re: Edge]
    #2464749 - 03/23/04 05:46 PM (20 years, 9 days ago)

He used a steam sterilization method, he opened the jars and all 6 of them had a sour smell, there was some substrate sticking to the jars. Could this be burnt BRF or contams? This is his first grow.

--------------------
All my posts are for the cultivation of ideas in my head.

Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
    #2466392 - 03/24/04 02:36 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Sour smell is probably contaminants. A little substrate sticking o the jar doesn't really mean anything. But if it looks fairly wet and smells bad, thats a sure sign of bacteria. I would dump them. You can try growing them out but the mycelia will probably stall and even if they don't you want to think twice about eating shrooms from a contaminated cake.

Buy a pressure cooker, I finally did and I went from 25%-60%contamination to with steam to 0% in the first round of jars since I bought it. Steaming does work sometimes, but its a gamble. And you can use a PC to cook a pork roast in like 15 minutes and you gotta love that. Also use 1 or 2 jars without incoulating them as controls. This will tell you if the problem is in the sterilization or if the contams are being introduced when you shoot up the jars.

One of the teks (original PF I think) had a good idea. Sterilize the jars and let them for 3 days or so before inoculating. That way you give bacteria a little while to build up and you can spot contaminated jars before wasting spores.

Don't be afraid to fail your first few times. I went through a syringe and a half before I got anything that fruited. When you finally get there and you see those shrooms start to grow, its all worth while.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures