Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFiddleMyDiddle
Keyboard Samurai

Loc: Trapped inside my mind..
M$ vs. EU, EU wins
    #2461566 - 03/22/04 08:01 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Read this first [Slahsdot]
:cool:
There really is a Santa Claus!

I think this is a great step forward in the dissolvement of "monopolistic" business practices
of the world's largest most monopilistic corporation.  Knowledge should be free.. not on
a license.

My question to all those that patrol the forum? What do you think?
Will this set a precedent to follow for US trials that are pending for the giant?
Is it good or bad?

Funny note, I believe on some Fox news show (O'Reily?) they were saying this was a
backlash for IRAQ, since its the EU ruling against an American company.
haha such bs, gawd I hate Fox...

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you're all the same.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: M$ vs. EU, EU wins [Re: FiddleMyDiddle]
    #2463072 - 03/23/04 06:23 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Antitrust judges in the US are odd... they tend to stick together and err on the side of the company. Once one or two judges get swayed in favor of the public, the rest tend to follow. After that happens, the company is screwed (rightly so) and usually, finally, broken apart.

Microsoft is a monopoly, there is no question about it. It is also a very bad monopoly that stifles innovation and investment within the computing industry. This is bad for everybody, except Microsoft. The company has a history of buying up innovations and shelving them. They also use the "embrace and destroy" practice to kill competition, which ruins open standards for the rest of us.

I don't know that the EU cases will have any effect ont he US cases. I do believe that as more and more US cases are brought against Microsoft, things will improve for the little guy. Time will tell...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFiddleMyDiddle
Keyboard Samurai

Loc: Trapped inside my mind..
Re: M$ vs. EU, EU wins [Re: Seuss]
    #2463448 - 03/23/04 10:38 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I agree whole heartedly.. Their are definitely stifiling the flow of knowledge when it comes to computing. Although being somewaht of innovator (.NET/C#) overall their just designing more featrues that fit into THEIR OWN software model. We need to add to a collective knowledge, not horde innovation.

Of course, computing in the US as we know it has always been shaped mostly by MS, especially for home/business. It was until the recent Linux boom, that other viable alternatives came into play. I remember some 5 years ago, most people thought Linux\FreeBSD was just something guys with smelly shirts and no social life run, now I see it being deployed from busness to gov't...

M$'s time is surely ending...

--------------------
You laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you're all the same.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: M$ vs. EU, EU wins [Re: FiddleMyDiddle]
    #2463509 - 03/23/04 11:04 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

> being somewaht of innovator (.NET/C#)

Embrace and destroy... Have you seen how close .NET/C# is to Java? Only real difference is they removed the security features and made it so that it only runs under windows.

> it has always been shaped mostly by MS

In the mid 80's, Gates was preaching to his developers "Make it look like the Mac".

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale