Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: Strumpling]
    #2452397 - 03/19/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Time for my long review :smile:  *deep breath*

MY REVIEW

alright i don't know how to name specific sounds, so ill try describing HOW they sound

0:00 - 2:50
-love the first sound, the deep gong
-the sounds behind the bird chirping reminds me of Mystical Experiences
-i have no idea what the little girls saying but i love how it sounds in slow motion :smile:
-then i love how some words in the "waking life" movie's dialog is also slowed down
-i thought the bell rythem went on for a little too long (for almost 3 minutes)

2:51 - 5:20
-the phat bass/ drum'n'bass i dont mind too much, it sounds great and when i first heard it
I thought that's how the track was gonna be!! i was terrified!
-i love the bouncy 'biiaaww' sound supporting the beats
-oh my god -  i don't know how to describe this next sound! it's just superb! (3:42) it sounds as if they've used a metal ruler and sprung it on the edge of a table! amazing and the rhythm
keeps on getting deeper and lighter
then at (4:27) the beats let go - getting us prepared for scene two :smile:
-some computer signals, Triangle instrument sounds
-then something so extraordinary happens!! (4:45) OMG! It turns out that the metal ruler sound was an actual Spanish guitar; now in it's natural form... please tell me if you agree!
-now the guitar echoes away and we hear the bass going up and down
-and now the same drum n bass beats returns without the ruler/guitar rhythm

5:20 - 5:58
-oh Michelle, is that your sweet voice again sounding all Shponged- this sounds so
dreamy, and im my mind i think of massive rainforests, birds taking over
the mountains and Michelle flying along side them.
- What?!! I just realized something.. tell me if im just hearing things or is Michelle's voice in the same rhythm as the weird ruler/distorted guitar rhythm??? OH YES! Fukin Brilliant! Just brilliant guys, oh I love you all so much!

5:58 -  7:18
- then a bouncy man's voice comes, it sounds as if he's sort of running out of breath, but still trying to make weird noises. LOL and it's distorted to the MAX! great!
- then a deeper voice takes over, now this ones sounds as if he's spewing up this dinner ? or better yet ? spewing out the music
- now the same voice turns into a high-pitch version but a little quieter
- then the bass and chopping sounds start to echo and fade out

7:18 - 7:45
- many voices fade in, many people singing loudly in a language Im not quite sure of. What pictures play in my mind? Well, I am walking through little dark streets in Europe or Mexico or even Spain trying to find out where these voices are coming from; and I come across a festival of light, a masquerade party! People dancing, kissing and making sweet love... after all, love are a very shpongled thing? Old and young, black and white united! kids running around playing with tubes of wobbly soft lights! All sorts of unusual instruments!

7:45- 8:57
- now the voice flashes many times o-o-o-o-a-a-a-e-e-e-e-n-n-n-n-n-a-a-a-a
- beats and bass come like Dorset Perception
- then some sound comes in as if to wipe away the beats, also flashing like the voice. It repeats itself a few times

8:57- 9:40
- the singing continues almost on it's own then flashes at the last verse
- the Spanish guitar (as someone mentioned above) fades in soflty
- the beats return
- the guitar gets loud - this time in a more fast tempo and blissful approach - getting the crowd into high spirits.
- at exactly (9:24) the guitar (visualize this) jumps off the roof of a house and into the sea.
- it sounds as if the guitar sound rolls or flips or shivers
- then the rhythm it gets blurry and washed out (it's in water)
- the other sound supporting the beats and the guitar are the fish

9:40 -10:59
- this verse gets us ready for the end, it is the climax
- all sounds, guitar, flashing voice
- the voice cuts out and the guitar and beats have another go at it
- the beats echo out
- the guitar finishes the song and flashes and echoes out.

OAH, that took me a while! LOL!
But from analysing this carefully, i understand the track much better and understand a few things as mentioned above.
please feel free to add to this and please let me know if you agree on certain things :smile:
This track just makes me wanna fall in love and live the most happy life. Oh and go travelling around the world!

Edited by forevershpongled (03/19/04 05:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: forevershpongled]
    #2453403 - 03/20/04 01:36 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

"Time for my long review" - you're right it IS long :wink:

"the sounds behind the bird chirping reminds me of Mystical Experiences" - yeah that album had some great ideas - the synthwork sounds really old-school nowadays though

"i have no idea what the little girls saying but i love how it sounds in slow motion" - well the little girl is from waking life as well.... I think its from right at the beginning; the girl is using one of those little "fortune-teller" things you fold out of a piece of paper, and she tells him "umm.. pick a color." he says "blue" she says "b-l-u-e" and then "pick a number" "8" "12345678" then she says "dream is destiny," reading him his "fortune"

"the phat bass/ drum'n'bass i dont mind too much" - "don't mind" it? heh I dig it :wink:

"it's just superb! (3:42)" - I agree - its really cool :smile: And with regards to it being the guitar, I think this is where Shpongle tricks many people very often. It sounds to me like there are plenty of layers in there - its basically all synth when it starts with just tiny pieces guitar, but the synths then die off and its basically all guitar.. A great example of fusing organic and synthetic sound, something Shpongle does all over the place.

"this ones sounds as if he's spewing up this dinner ? or better yet ? spewing out the music" - I dig this part.. I envisioned somebody being whipped by some unknown force to numerous unexpected situations at high speed, and just kind of vocally reacting to the ordeal lol the distortions in this part on the voice really imply action to me - it sounds like he's going through all sorts of stuff.

"a language Im not quite sure of."...."streets in Europe or Mexico or even Spain" - yes I believe its Portuguese (I don't think I spelled that properly) and I believe they're in Brazil (I think I hear them say "Brazil" in that chorus, too..). I looked up the title of this track on google "Beija Flor" - apparently it means hummingbird.. there are several other things as well: from cnn.com: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/02/25/brazil.carnival.winner.ap/ - apparently they're a samba group (very elaborate heh.. http://www.obeijaflor.hpg.ig.com.br/wallpapers.html).
There's also THIS, http://www.daime.net/beija_tour.html , a "tour" where they take you into deep amazon and you hang out with "shamans" and take ayahuasca..

"at exactly (9:24) the guitar (visualize this) jumps off the roof of a house and into the sea." - I really can't see/hear that..

"the guitar finishes the song and flashes and echoes out." - I totally dig the last several seconds.

woah look what I just found http://www.obeijaflor.hpg.ig.com.br/beijaflor2003.wma

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinescotsman1
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: guess
    #2453740 - 03/20/04 08:31 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

I was introduced to Shpongle only weeks ago and
i must say i enjoy them. I had never heard of
them because i dont thing our music mags mention
them. But i was surprised at how good they were.

--------------------
We're Bought and Sold
For English Gold

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

Loc: Montreal
    #2455299 - 03/20/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Strump we should have those collective cd ( track) listening, they were cool as hell. I suggest listening to the 2 Shpongles in the first place with everyone in a chatroom!

Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: Asco]
    #2455399 - 03/20/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for your comments Strump

- "A great example of fusing organic and synthetic sound, something Shpongle does all over the place."
That's what I love about them most. A combination of the two so carefully engineered and placed creating unity between the two.

What? that music file you found! oh.. thought it was the same lyrics.
In slow singing at the end of 'Around the world In Tea Days" always sounded cool to me, then my sister told me that it was actually from an old Turkish song.

I love it how they get their inspiration from around the world :smile:

A chat session with the new album would be awesome..So has anyone heard anything besides that it should almost be complete OR that it should have been out this month?? LOL

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2455431 - 03/20/04 07:21 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

dude there's no rush for Shpongle - I think none of their fans should be going "when's it come out when's it come out come on come on hurry!" hehe because we don't want them trying to RUSH things :wink: - I'll wait another year if they need to polish it up more, but last I heard, it should be out sometime this summer (But hey if they push it back that's fine!).

Another chat session would rock indeed :smile: This type of thing is hard to coordinate, but we can pull one together for the new album

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #2455544 - 03/20/04 08:21 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Have you listened to the remix album?
If so, whaddayathink?

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: valour]
    #2455874 - 03/20/04 10:22 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Oh the remix album. It's taken me quite a few months to actually like any of the tracks. I hated it! But now I guess it's good

Ok, here's a question for anyone who's been Shpongled... and I mean SHPONGLED!... Do you share Shpongle with your friends? Listen to it whenever their around. I dont know, I cant listen to it next to anyone, I dont want to make a copy for anyone. With Shpongle, it's just too personal, it's not music I would share. Who else is in the same shoes as I?

Edited by forevershpongled (03/21/04 12:36 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2456400 - 03/21/04 02:37 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

I didn't really enjoy the remix album - it seemed like a bunch of different artists doing their regular music, but throwing in Shpongle samples..

tea daze, ...and day turned to night, and my head feels like a frisbee were the ones I enjoyed most from the cd

and forevershpongled,

I feel the exact opposite way :wink: I think everybody should hear Shpongle; or BUY SHPONGLE, rather.

--------------------

Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
    #2456456 - 03/21/04 03:14 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

I enjoyed Crystal Skulls the most.

I thought there were some sections where it sounded like like a house/progressive trance song, especially in Dorset Perseption remix, a little unexpected from Total Eclipse.

Anyone who thinks they have made a mistake buying this remix cd. take it out of yor shelf.

Strumpling,
I want people to hear it too, but Shpongle has become so emotional for me, so personal, if someone else hears it, it feels like they are reading my personal diary of my life or something, do you sort of get me? I dont know. i could be crazy :tongue:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2457516 - 03/21/04 02:18 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Shpongle is embarrassingly good, if that's what you mean :wink:

--------------------

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#2457544 - 03/21/04 02:37 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

What's odd is that even while psilocybining, I can tell when some people just don't connect with Shpongle. It seems amazing to me, but I could see it in their eyes that they wanted to go back to their Dead or whatever.* Oddly enough, these are usually the people I'm not connecting with that well anyway.

*no disrespect to the Dead here.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

#2458004 - 03/21/04 05:36 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah Shpongle is not for everyone :frown:

Not everyone can hear and understand the subtelity of it and I think that is what happened in the remix cd. Some of the tracks are not that good. I'm not saying the cd sucks but it dosen't have an overall Shpongle exploration feel to it.

As for sharing it I try my best to make my friends listen to it but almost none of them seem to connect to it. Most of them say bah it's stupid stoner music and they ask  me to change:(

One day maybe people will understand hehe :P

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: Asco]
    #2458585 - 03/21/04 08:48 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Off topic:
Your user icon makes me go squeak.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
    #2462903 - 03/23/04 03:25 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

quote ASCO: "Some of the tracks are not that good"

hehe, exactly what I thought the first few months, but just lie down and listen to the ones you think you dislike.. you will be quite suprised.

Spongle Falls and Vapour Rumors were  probably my least favorite, but now I cant do without em :smile:  Oh and Behind Closed Eyelids as well.

Let me guess, your fav. tracks are Divine moments of truth and Day Turned to Night?

Lets all name our top songs (so hard to do)

1.Monster Hit
2.Shpongle Falls
3. And the Day Turned to Night
4. Vapour Rumors

^^^ not accurate, it's so hard to decide

Offlineboondie
Stranger
    #2462937 - 03/23/04 04:05 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Shpongle - Eclipse live

Awesome CD, from what I can gather it's Simon mixing live (no flute).

It's awesome because he doesn't use one sample from any of his albums (that I can tell) so it's all original and great.

Almost therapeutic.

Offlineforevershpongled
Stranger
Re: New Shpongle Track! Beija Flor [Re: boondie]
    #2462952 - 03/23/04 04:23 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

What Eclipse live cd? Cant find any info on it?

Offlineboondie
Stranger
    #2462958 - 03/23/04 04:28 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I haven't look for info on it, I found it on Direct Connect.

Probably a bootleg, just titled Shpongle - Eclipse Live

OfflineAsco
Explorer of theMind

#2463173 - 03/23/04 08:03 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah I think the Shpongle - Eclipse Live is a bootleg, it's definitly not a release on cd. And it's not Shpongle new material, it's more of a DJ mix by Simon Posford. But even there i'm not sure because some people do use others name to promote their stuff...

As for all Shpongle songs being great I agree but in the shpongle mix cd not all of them are top quality.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom