Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Loc: Minnesota, the next state...
Gymnopilus Coffee Tek
    #24628357 - 09/14/17 10:59 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So I had five small mushrooms left in the fridge from last week's find of a bunch of what were tentatively ID'd as Gymnopilus Luteus. I had them in a paper bag, which I tend to do with any mushrooms I'm putting in the fridge. As a result, they had mostly dried in the six days they were in there. I had planned to use them up today, and decided to do a bit of a hybrid tea/coffee tek to consume them.

Here's what I did;

Lightly ground the mushrooms in a coffee grinder. (Pulsed for about five seconds) They weighed about 5.5g at this point.

Heated about 8 oz of filtered water to 170 degrees F.

Added ground mushrooms and hot water to a pyrex cup.

While I waited for them to steep, I vacuumed the floor, shaved, and took a shower. The vacuum popped open, so I was covered in dust, and that's no way to take a trip!

By the time that was done, it had been about 35 minutes.

I poured the mushrooms and water into a pyrex pan, and heated it back up to a good temperature for hand poured drip coffee. I like it at around 185-190 degrees F.

I ground about three tablespoons of my favorite organic light roast Balinese coffee, and placed a funnel on a coffee cup. Then I placed a doubled up coffee filter folded into a funnel shape into the funnel, and poured the ground coffee into the filter.

After this I poured just a bit of the re-heated mushroom tea, mushrooms and all, into the coffee filter over the grounds. It's important to pour just a bit, and then wait for about 30 seconds, so that the coffee can soak in the water. Then I proceeded to pour the mushrooms/tea through the coffee very slowly, taking a couple of minutes for the entire cup.

Once all of it was poured in, I folded the filter over the top of the grounds and mushrooms, and let it finish dripping. Then I lifted the filter out, and gently squeezed it to get the last bit of liquid out. Don't squeeze too firmly, or the filter will tear, and you'll get coffee grounds in the bottom of your cup!

By that time, it was a perfect temperature to drink. I sat and had a pipe full of hand blended clove tobacco and sipped my mushroom coffee while listening to couple of songs.

I had imagined, when eating these fresh mushrooms, that the taste would lend itself to coffee very well. With this technique, I barely noticed the difference between normal coffee and the one with mushrooms!

I should note that I have been pretty severely addicted to coffee and caffeine for over twenty five years. At the age of eleven, my father brought me to the Hard Times Cafe in Minneapolis MN... he kept letting me buy espresso, and we were there until 3 or 4 AM. By that time, I had consumed eleven shots, and I was never the same again! I have gotten to the point where I can go a day without coffee, but not very often.

So, if you're like me, and you don't feel quite regular without a bit of coffee, then this method might work for you. It's only been half an hour since drinking it, but I can already feel the effects of the mushrooms.

I will be sure to update this later, once I see how the day goes!

--------------------

*ALL POSTS CREATED BY THIS USER ARE FICTIONAL IN NATURE, AND ARE THE PRODUCT OF LUCID DREAMING. THEY ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN AS REAL OR TRUE.

Edited by Spivkurl (09/14/17 02:17 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: Spivkurl]
    #24628409 - 09/14/17 11:28 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely well on my way after around 1 hour from beverage... Decided to try out some of the vintage 3D glasses I got last week. Did you know that the whole world is 3D?!

--------------------

*ALL POSTS CREATED BY THIS USER ARE FICTIONAL IN NATURE, AND ARE THE PRODUCT OF LUCID DREAMING. THEY ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN AS REAL OR TRUE.

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

#24628500 - 09/14/17 12:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Okay... just been staring at the screen for a good while like I don't know what it's for.

Yep, this method works just fine! This is the third time I've dosed these gyms in the past week, and both the others were fresh, but this was a slightly larger dose. Letting them dry in the fridge is not ideal, I'm sure, but they do not seem to have lost any potency from the drying, my tolerance, or the tek.

No nausea at all, though beware if you are not used to coffee.

Setting delay compensation in FL studio was a big trip, and I had to take a break. Got some clothes out of the dryer, and then ended up washing my hands four times for no reason. Has anyone looked at the new version of FL studio through 3D glasses? It seems pretty weird!

OfflineSnowDaze
Back in the Saddle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: Spivkurl] * 1
    #24628510 - 09/14/17 12:18 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I have not looked at the bee FL studio in 3D glasses. I use Logic Pro and Ableton over FL Studio

Glad you seem to be havin fun man, share some of your tunes.

and what kind of hardware do you have workin with FL Studio?

--------------------
:gd_icon: If you get confused just listen to the music play :gd_icon:

:smugjerry: :feelswierman:

:wook: :barbershreds: :scumbagsteve:

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: SnowDaze]
    #24628623 - 09/14/17 01:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Yes definitely an enjoyable day, thanks! Your signature is cool BTW.

I work mostly with hardware now, and the list of gear is getting longer. I build a lot of instruments, and do modifications. In that pic, you can see the modular synth and four step sequencer that I built. Also in there is a Yamaha DD-20 that I modded to take gate pulses to trigger the drums. I use a few different midi-CV devices (also pictured), from Kenton, Doepfer, and Arturia. Most of my instruments and stuff aren't pictured though... have an upright piano, four different organs, a couple rooms full of bent and unbent toys, seven guitars, three basses, a bunch of MIDI keyboards and drum machines, monotribe... I think there's more. They kind of spill into four rooms.

I live at WeAreRecords, and pretty much everything is free for download at the Capitalist Market over there... This is my blog, and there are a bunch of pictures of some recent builds;

http://www.wearerecords.com/spivkurl.html

Otherwise I put up a ton of songs for streaming on Looperman.com... here are some of my recent favorites.

Easy For Me (unreleased)
https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/177044

I Fall Down (unreleased)
https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/175263

Snake In The Past
https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/168042

Stealth Matriculation
https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/164991

Lovin It
https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/164462

Back on topic... I'm loving the gymnopilus, they are so much different and seemingly more gentle than cubensis and the like (even though it's been a while). Less side effects than my usual eating of muscaria or smoking of virola bark. These aren't very "edgy" even with the coffee. The other two times in the past week, I downed them with alcohol, but have yet to drink yet... good for me! :smile:

I really think that the mushrooms simply added to the flavor of the coffee, rather than ruining it. It makes me even more eager to make some dark chocolates with the ones that were properly dried!

Edited by Spivkurl (09/14/17 01:26 PM)

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

#24628782 - 09/14/17 02:15 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So, almost four hours in... beginning to wain in effects a bit. I would not doubt if the mushrooms/tea, brewed through the acids of the coffee tend to make the experience a bit shorter and more intense when compared to simply eating the mushrooms.

If anyone tries this, no matter the type of mushroom, I'd like to hear your results!

--------------------

Offline277volt808
    #24628801 - 09/14/17 02:21 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I'm actually really impressed and that is not easy with music.

This genre isn't my strong point so I don't know what the standard is but this seems very...signature. Like it's very different from what I've ever heard. I'm not going to begin to try to explain it but I know music and this is pretty damn good.

--------------------
Fav Threads:

Stories from the Psychedelic Underground (dwpineal)

My LSD Trip That Lasted 8 Months (dwpineal)

The "THUMBPRINT" (Learyfan)

I think not to wander so far down the path that we can't find our way back. -Northerner

OfflineTempestDnB
Lost but found.
I'm a teapot

Loc: PA Flag
    #24628824 - 09/14/17 02:37 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Nice studio, get on that ableton train though, it's so user friendly, but that's just my preference.

Edit: I should've read this thread, someone already beat me to it!

--------------------

“How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d”

Edited by TempestDnB (09/14/17 02:41 PM)

Offline277volt808
Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: TempestDnB]
    #24628828 - 09/14/17 02:40 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

i'm probably the minority on Studio One

--------------------
Fav Threads:

I think not to wander so far down the path that we can't find our way back. -Northerner

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: 277volt808]
    #24628829 - 09/14/17 02:41 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

277volt808 said:
I'm actually really impressed and that is not easy with music.

This genre isn't my strong point so I don't know what the standard is but this seems very...signature. Like it's very different from what I've ever heard. I'm not going to begin to try to explain it but I know music and this is pretty damn good.

Honored at your words! Thank you.

I've been playing some sort of instrument for most of my 37 years (have a picture of myself playing a classical guitar at age three). I've been building instruments for around fifteen years now. I should be getting better by now, right? ha ha

I try not to limit myself to any specific genre (as most electronic musicians and listeners seem to do), or any specific instrument... I'll play anything that makes a noise.

I've learned a lot about music in my eight years at Looperman as well, since during that time I've reviewed nearly 6000 songs, possibly more since the stats only include songs which have not been deleted.

Thanks again for listening to some of my stuff!

EDIT: I've got some online friends who make freaking awesome tunes with Studio One! Never used it myself, but from what I've heard it is a good one for the value.

Edited by Spivkurl (09/14/17 02:44 PM)

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

#24628836 - 09/14/17 02:43 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TempestDnB said:
Nice studio, get on that ableton train though, it's so user friendly, but that's just my preference.

I worked with Ableton for a couple years, but never really enjoyed it. The GUI bothered me, as did the workflow. Never was able to achieve the sort of sound quality I had come to know with FL. I've been using FL since it was "fruity loops," so it has only gotten better. It has it's drawbacks, but each update (free no less) helps with some of the drawbacks.

OfflineTempestDnB
Lost but found.
I'm a teapot

#24628844 - 09/14/17 02:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I learned to produce with fruity loops back in my early teens, but almost immediately made the switch to Live. Whatever works for you though.

--------------------

“How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d”

Offline277volt808
Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: TempestDnB] * 1
    #24628860 - 09/14/17 02:50 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

yes. same here with early Fruity Loops around 2001. I still can't believe it.. it seems so far yet so close...  Life of a artist lol

--------------------
Fav Threads:

Edited by 277volt808 (09/14/17 02:50 PM)

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

#24628864 - 09/14/17 02:51 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That's how I look at it... some people do amazing things with Ableton, just not me!

I also do a lot of recording direct to tape, or reamping to tape for saturation and wow/flutter. I've been collecting blanks for the last year or two, since they are going the way of dino's and clean air. My last release was an EP of songs recorded live to tape in two days... just interfacing modified and built gear and going with the flow... no computer needed which is nice sometimes.

OfflineTempestDnB
Lost but found.
I'm a teapot

#24628874 - 09/14/17 02:54 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

There is nothing like the sound of hardware. I wish I had an analogue tape delay. And a good hardware compressor. Sometimes 1s and 0s just can't touch the real thing.

--------------------

Offline277volt808
    #24628878 - 09/14/17 02:55 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I read an article from a production team talking about using old tube amps as preamps and running whatever through them.

They were taking tubes from old reel to reel recorders IIRC.

I can picture a composition with not overwhelming layers, but perfectly blended sounds, ran through these tubes. I can visualize this but my time is always in vain chasing something I can't seem to bring to fruition.

--------------------
Fav Threads:

Offline277volt808
    #24628903 - 09/14/17 03:10 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

if i hit the lotto.

I would get a historic building made of wood. I would make it like the ultimate man cave with style. Set up a complete studio. I would wire it through old analog equipment, live life thousands of feet above the surface, come in and make history.

lol.

--------------------
Fav Threads:

Edited by 277volt808 (09/14/17 03:11 PM)

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

Re: Gymnopilus Coffee Tek [Re: 277volt808]
    #24628921 - 09/14/17 03:22 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hardware is definitely wicked, and for me at least, far more enjoyable to use - especially on a trip.

I never imagined I would have this much equipment. When I was a kid, my dad was always moving me across the continent every couple of years... hitchhiking, camping or living out of cars. I had to get rid of everything except some clothing and a few memories. Now we have stayed in the same home for thirteen years... sure I border on being an instrument hoarder, but at least I can make whatever sound I choose to.

The Bias Machine is definitely one of my cooler recent builds...

http://www.wearerecords.com/ASSETS/BMachine.html

I haven't even gotten around to recording with it much due to other obligations and moving right on to other builds.

I like to re-amp with tube reel to reel (or solid state) as well, like you mentioned TempestDnB. Have a music man amplifier head, which was the first tube/solid state hybrid made... usually use it as a bass amp, but it's great for re-amp work as well. With an active DI box, I don't even have to mic the cab, since I can take the speaker output and shift it to microphone levels for recording.

OfflineSnowDaze
Back in the Saddle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
    #24629112 - 09/14/17 04:42 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This thread took a turn for the awesomeness

--------------------
:gd_icon: If you get confused just listen to the music play :gd_icon:

:smugjerry: :feelswierman:

:wook: :barbershreds: :scumbagsteve:

OfflineSpivkurl
Electroacoustic inventor
Male

#24629127 - 09/14/17 04:46 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Still "under the influence" at the six hour mark over here, so that's actually a pretty normal length I suppose. I will definitely use this method again, especially when I want to get things done while on my journey.

Was able to do six loads of laundry, since we finally got a new dryer... we didn't even have room to line dry that many, and with the change in climate here it can take days to dry. Got work done on a new song. Did the dishes. Baked some red beans. Took out the compost. Unclogged the bath tub. Damn I love coffee! The mushrooms made it all enjoyable and beautiful.

With the heat at 91 F, and a heat index of 100 or more, plus the smoke and ozone warnings, it was a good day to stay in the air conditioning. Kept me from wandering around shrooming in people's faces... hee hee.

Next experiment will be chocolates, when I order some more cocoa butter. We make it from scratch a lot, so it should be tasty. Mmmmm... mushroom peanut butter cups!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience