Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenightmayor
Stranger
 User Gallery
Simple fix for inoculation holes being to small?
    #24625657 - 09/13/17 11:24 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

So I prepped my BRF/Verm half pint jars last night. Placed the lids in side out, placed medical tape over the inoculation holes and wrapped them tightly in heavy duty foil. So far so good.

I got my 23qt pressure cooker going with my 9 jars and 3 quarts of water. Followed bods PC TEK to the T.  I Pc'ed for 75 mins  @ 15psi. While waiting for the time to expire in my timer I took a look and noticed that the syringe needles were a bit more girthy than I had expected.

I realised that I had made the inoculation holes to small. After conducting some research and seeking advice from a fellow cultivator I have found myself to have a few options, but wanted to run it by the pros before I go turning this hiccup into a disaster.

Aware that the safest route to fixing this is to start from the beginning. However I was wondering if I could save that (little  bit of) time. By a few of the following.

A. Use a flame steriled ice pick and make holes bigger without taking lids off of the sterilised jars, and then re-cook for an hour.

B. Due to the fact that I used a dry Verm layer at opening, take the lid off of the sterile jar, place it on a spare empty jar and make the holes larger.

Or C. Inoculate without going through the holes, I've read it is dangerous though.

Was wondering what would be the best route. I am 100% content with PC'ING again, I am more so not looking forward to remixing the BRF and verm as that was the most tedious part for me.

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethe_lucky_duck
Neither lucky nor a duck
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Simple fix for inoculation holes being to small? [Re: nightmayor]
    #24625892 - 09/13/17 12:48 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

After just looking at a leftover syringe needle I have, I am surprised at how you could have made a hole smaller than a needle.

Regardless, at this point I would just take the lids off make them appropriately bigger, then re-follow the PC tek. No point to empty the jars or anything or remix BRF and verm, just make the holes bigger, put the lids back on, then re-sterilize.

Offlinenightmayor
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Simple fix for inoculation holes being to small? [Re: the_lucky_duck]
    #24625925 - 09/13/17 01:05 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

I used some bigger than average thumbtacks thinking they would be big enough. But when I looked at the syringes I purchased I found that the needles were much bigger than I had imagined.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started