Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemisterjingo
Divided by zero
Male

Loc: Shangri-La Flag
Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use
    #24623728 - 09/12/17 04:51 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

http://neurosciencenews.com/teen-marijuana-reversal-effect-7471/

Quote:

Summary: Researchers were able to reverse the neural and behavioral effects of THC exposure and eliminate schizophrenia like symptoms in rats by using drugs to activate GABA, a new study reports.

Source: University of Western Ontario.

Researchers at Western University have found a way to use pharmaceuticals to reverse the negative psychiatric effects of THC, the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana. Chronic adolescent marijuana use has previously been linked to the development of psychiatric diseases, such as schizophrenia, in adulthood. But until now, researchers were unsure of what exactly was happening in the brain to cause this to occur.

“What is important about this study is that not only have we identified a specific mechanism in the prefrontal cortex for some of the mental health risks associated with adolescent marijuana use, but we have also identified a mechanism to reverse those risks,” said Steven Laviolette, professor at Western’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry.

In a study published online today in Scientific Reports the researchers demonstrate that adolescent THC exposure modulates the activity of a neurotransmitter called GABA in the prefrontal cortex region of the brain. The team, led by Laviolette and post-doctoral fellow Justine Renard, looked specifically at GABA because of its previously shown clinical association with schizophrenia.

“GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and plays a crucial role in regulating the excitatory activity in the frontal cortex, so if you have less GABA, your neuronal systems become hyperactive leading to behavioural changes consistent with schizophrenia,” said Renard.

The study showed that the reduction of GABA as a result of THC exposure in adolescence caused the neurons in adulthood to not only be hyperactive in this part of the brain, but also to be out of synch with each other, demonstrated by abnormal oscillations called ‘gamma’ waves. This loss of GABA in the cortex caused a corresponding hyperactive state in the brain’s dopamine system, which is commonly observed in schizophrenia.

By using drugs to activate GABA in a rat model of schizophrenia, the team was able to reverse the neuronal and behavioural effects of the THC and eliminate the schizophrenia-like symptoms.

Laviolette says this finding is especially important given the impending legalization of marijuana in Canada. “What this could mean is that if you are going to be using marijuana, in a recreational or medicinal way, you can potentially combine it with compounds that boost GABA to block the negative effects of THC.”

The research team says the next steps will examine how combinations of cannabinoid chemicals with compounds that can boost the brains GABA system may serve as more effective and safer treatments for a variety of mental health disorders, such as addiction, depression and anxiety.

--------------------
The Psychedelic Society

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: misterjingo] * 1
    #24623804 - 09/12/17 05:29 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I have smoked cannabis for over a decade, since I was 11 :lol:

It hasn't made my schizo or psychotic :shrug: I trust cannabis more then some new pharma drug to "reverse the negative effects if THC"...

Stay tuned for next time when they come up with a new drug to reverse the negative effects of the drug made to reverse the negative effects of THC :tongue2:

I am interested to see more research and studies into this but I have my doubts. Before long we will probably be seeing commercials on TV telling people who have taken this new drug to call them and join a lawsuit for all the unintended negative effects it has caused. Hopefully that isn't the case but pharmaceuticals have a pretty iffy track record...

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineDk25
Stranger

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: musiclover420]
    #24624040 - 09/12/17 07:06 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Well I know it can definitely effect the dopamine levels I've definitely experienced that but as far as turning someone into a schizoid I'm not buying that sht

OfflineChinaCat
Strangerer

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: Dk25]
    #24624074 - 09/12/17 07:13 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I think what the researchers are saying here is that marijuana is linked to schizophrenia.  Marijuana will not cause schizophrenia but it can potentiate schizophrenia or even trigger schizophrenic episodes in people with family history. I think they are saying they can hopefully ease schizo tendencies if marijuana triggered them or made them apparent.

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: ChinaCat]
    #24624298 - 09/12/17 08:53 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Not much of a reversal.

They always cling to this crap about weed and psychosis.  Without understanding young people psycology that makes drug use more likely, in people that later develope an illness.

Also there is no ability to measure nueral chemicals in living people.  It's purely theory.  By this theory tobacco use increases the liklyhood of psychosis.  Tobacco increases dopamine and adrenaline.  Also mental patients smoke more than any demographic.

Psychosis is not well understood.  I see it as a break from culture.  Culture is not reality.  Culture changes and those that deviated from culture are not always wrong.

--------------------
Nike made me do it

Offlinedurian_2008
cornucopian eating an elephant
 User Gallery

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24624383 - 09/12/17 09:33 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Just wondering what sort of brainwaves are associated with cannabis, GABA, and schizophrenia.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: California
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: misterjingo]
    #24624472 - 09/12/17 10:08 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I don't think taking benzos with pot is as good of an idea as these guys make it out to be...

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: nooneman]
    #24624490 - 09/12/17 10:14 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
I don't think taking benzos with pot is as good of an idea as these guys make it out to be...

Did they actually use benzos? It just says "GABA activating drugs" pretty much.

But yeah pretty sure our brains are more complex then they are trying to assume. Maybe some GABA boosting drugs could help in some cases, will be interesting to see how this research progresses.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlinesir_spins_alot
Feels like a stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: NE Flag
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: musiclover420]
    #24625362 - 09/13/17 08:19 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Well it is true that cannabis use is not good for a developing brain, however I've been smoking since I was 12 I'm now 36 so 24 years and tripped probably 500 times and no mental health issues.

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: misterjingo]
    #24625529 - 09/13/17 10:11 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

I have never known of it happening, personally, but epic amounts of marijuana are supposed to be hallucinogenic. How much, on a human scale, is supposed to cause permanent changes. Will the figure sound reasonably-possible.

Quote:

By using drugs to activate GABA in a rat model of schizophrenia, the team was able to reverse the neuronal and behavioural effects of the THC and eliminate the schizophrenia-like symptoms.

This is propagandist, because they could have used the pharms to fix the condition of schizophrenia, itself. There are probably, countless, mental disorders, and social problems, which all fall on a spectrum of dissociation.

Instead, they want to fix illicit drug use, the use of a contraband.

It implies, to me, that some worthwhile line of research could only get funding, by pandering to a moral panic. Just guessing, out loud.

Edited by durian_2008 (09/13/17 10:39 AM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: durian_2008]
    #24626057 - 09/13/17 01:43 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Even a few dabs can be pretty trippy after a tolerance break.

Or enough edibles, I have had full on visuals from consuming enough Cannabis.

But there's a wide gap between getting really stoned to experiment and using Cannabis medicinally.

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#24626611 - 09/13/17 05:16 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

How much before you hallucinate?

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: durian_2008]
    #24626624 - 09/13/17 05:20 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
How much before you hallucinate?

Cannabis varies so much it's hard to say exactly. After a tolerance break a few big puffs of a potent hybrid strain can get pretty trippy IME.

5-10 dabs after a week break + some harmalas had me surprisingly out of it.

The time I ate a bunch of edibles and was having OEVs and CEVs I had consumed a ton of cannabis. No idea exactly how much as it was years ago but it was a lot :lol:

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#24626640 - 09/13/17 05:27 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

After doing so much, that you have lost track, have you noticed any changes?

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: durian_2008] * 2
    #24627121 - 09/13/17 08:20 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:

Like changes in myself or how cannabis effects me?

Over the years I feel like I have become way more sensitive to cannabis, maybe it has some sort of reverse tolerance like some other plants.

As a kid I could literally smoke blunts all day, and take massive bonghits for hours. Now I will vape a bit or take a few puffs and be very stoned for hours :lol:

The main change is my throat has become pretty sore from years of smoking, so I try and smoke less now. Thankfully I haven't touched a blunt in years are rarely even smoke joints.

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24628169 - 09/14/17 09:31 AM (2 months, 2 days ago)

How about they do some research into how bad ssri's and adhd drugs are for kids.

Cannabis has been a 'safe place' for me and much more during rough times.  It's only that sometimes the trip is more powerful than the herb.  Usually not though.

--------------------
Nike made me do it

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male

#24628445 - 09/14/17 11:47 AM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

misterjingo said:
http://neurosciencenews.com/teen-marijuana-reversal-effect-7471/

Quote:

The research team says the next steps will examine how combinations of cannabinoid chemicals with compounds that can boost the brains GABA system may serve as more effective and safer treatments for a variety of mental health disorders, such as addiction, depression and anxiety.

ROLMFAO if you smoke cannabis for medical or recreational reasons you will go insane unless you buy it from us with chemicals to boost your GABA. :crazy2:

The title should read how to profit from Reefer madness!:bigblunt:

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#24628462 - 09/14/17 11:57 AM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Like changes in myself or how cannabis effects me?

But, the article was about a sort-of mental filter and schizophrenic symptoms.

Does your imagination get the better of you, now?

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #24628524 - 09/14/17 12:25 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Probably all going to be schizos on the other side anyway.

I still think modern medicine as a bit primitive.  They rarely admit what they don't know and beliefs are a hinderance.  Psycology to make us all more alike and obedient.

Half of their theories and practices are failures.  It's like psycological bubble boy.  Fat and plump ready for harvest.

--------------------
Nike made me do it

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Researchers Reverse Negative Effects of Adolescent Marijuana Use [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24628634 - 09/14/17 01:16 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

There is actually supposed to be a crisis, in research, where none of it can be reproduced.

We are also supposed to be making progress, btw -- not just reproducing the work of others.

How abusive would we have to be, and has anyone experienced it, directly. Noone can say, in a drug forum.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, Vaporizer

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service