Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblemind.at.large
Myconerd

Loc: Floating in liquid gardens
Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: 00Burnout]
    #27011818 - 10/30/20 10:28 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I started getting more serious about brewing this year and have been giving a lot of thought to brewing a shroom beer, but it seems like it would be more a novelty than anything. If I were to do it, I would use pans or woodlovers or a similar potent mushroom, so I could limit the amount of actual mushrooms that are in the beer. I feel like it would taste like shit loaded with a ton of cubes...

I would probably just brew a tea with the mushrooms and add during the secondary

If I were to do it, I would probably make it relatively weak, in terms of shroom trippiness. It would be a pretty nice thing to have at a party (what are those??) to just get a small amount of mushrooms to brighten everything up. If I really wanted to trip hard, I would just eat mushrooms haha and save the beer for the comedown.

I recently brewed a candy cap stout that turned out fuckin delicious! 00burnout, what other edible mushrooms have you brewed with? I'm thinking of trying a chanterelle beer next

--------------------
Mind's Easy Bag 2 Bag Grain Transfers

Endless Sub Tek

...the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline00Burnout
That one guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ozarks
Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: mind.at.large]
    #27012760 - 10/30/20 07:31 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Chanterelle, black trumpets and morels all make super tasty beers. I can't for the life of me remember what style of beer we did with those, something light for sure.

That was my plan, make a tea and add it to secondary, or add them directly to secondary. I agree on not making it stupid strong on the mushroom side, both for flavor purposes and because if it is tasty, it would be too easy to go off the deep end. Though I think a light dose to give a body high and brighten up the room would be wonderful.

I've been playing around with making mocktails lately, I'm gonna play around with making a cannabis simple syrup for it and if I can find a strong enough flavor that pairs well, a mushroom mocktail would be the tits

--------------------
Peace, pot and microdot!:mushroom2:
No amount of progress has ever been made in the way of man without challenging the things we think we understand.-00Burnout
Ghetto Greenhouse
Trade List
https://psychedelia.space

Offlinemboehm
 User Gallery

#27013750 - 10/31/20 12:27 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I happen to brew for a large regional east coast brewery. I've done some sporadic cultivation in the past but due to all the extra free time with covid I've thrown myself back into the hobby head first.

My thought with the beer is that it would be both inconspicuous and convenient; 1 dose/bottle. I'd keep the ABV low as the goal would not be to get drunk, thinking maybe a brown ale or something.

I've thought about how to infuse and settled on whirlpooling a mesh bag of ground sclerotia at flame-out. I'm just getting them started from spore but I've read the sclerotia taste better than cube fruits, sort of nutty depending on substrate. I currently use rye berries which I've read are one of the best options for sclerotia producers but I'm now also wondering if I can successfully cultivate them on specialty malts. The flavor possibilties could be drastically expanded. Definitely going to try!

--------------------
"If it smells like miso and tastes like miso,
                          ...it is probably not the best miso."

Offline00Burnout
That one guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: mboehm]
    #27014630 - 10/31/20 08:46 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

From what I remember, cause I asked around about it, malts aren't any good for spawn because of all the sugars. Definitely worth a try though, and I've heard of spent mash being used for oyster cultivation, but oysters will rip through anything nutritious.

I use to grow the crap out of sclerotia, but sadly my culture got left behind with all my prints and equipment when I moved (in the hands of someone who is getting into the hobby, so not a total loss). Ime sclerotia taste like walnuts and really bitter carrots. I grew them on oats though.

When I was thinking up this idea, I thought a sour would work well as far as flavor and still be a low ABV. My only worry with adding them to the whirlpool is how much the psilocybin would degrade during primary fermentation.

Tea is my go to, because it's super inconspicuous. I've taken a few growlers into festivals to share with my fam with no issues.

If you get to it, let me know how it goes. I would love to see this idea come into fruition. My days of drinking are done, and I'm learning that I'm at minimum gluten intolerant, so beer is definitely out of the question for me (I have no desire to try gluten free beer, that just sounds like an insult to beer lol)

--------------------
No amount of progress has ever been made in the way of man without challenging the things we think we understand.-00Burnout
Ghetto Greenhouse
Trade List

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #27015297 - 11/01/20 08:29 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I would make psilocybin tea and add that tea before bottling into the brite tank after filtering or centrifuging most of the yeast out.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Offlinemboehm
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27016095 - 11/01/20 05:30 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I would make psilocybin tea and add that tea before bottling into the brite tank after filtering or centrifuging most of the yeast out.

I typically rely on finings and sedimentation for clarity when I brew at home. My brew system is not very complicated but I do actually have a pad filter I could potentially use for polishing. Is there a concern that yeast would metabolize the active compounds?

I guess a tea would offer the most control and flexibility. Do you think a hot side addition wouldn't work at all or would it just be difficult to gauge how much to use? I may as well try both.

--------------------
"If it smells like miso and tastes like miso,
                          ...it is probably not the best miso."

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: mboehm]
    #27016159 - 11/01/20 06:06 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

When the yeast eventually die and spill their contents it contains a lot of enzymes that may or may not cause problems.no clue but I would at the least cold crash and rack off the yeast then dose tea. I think it would give way more control too

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Offline00Burnout
That one guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Beer? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27016210 - 11/01/20 06:49 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I'm with bod on this one, but I would like to see how other methods would work out, both in terms of potency and flavor.

Been a minute, how ya been bod?

--------------------
Ghetto Greenhouse
Trade List

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals