Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Trinity
    #2462158 - 03/22/04 10:43 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I was eating some eggs with toast and coffee this morning and for one reason or another I started thinking about the holy trinity. Father, son, and holy ghost. All three of 'em. Surely I didn't need this. But my toast needed butter, so I lathered some on and sipped my coffee and began packing in.

What irked me was that I hadn't the foggiest idea what the hell the ghost was supposed to be. See, I've never been to church, except for the one I find myself in upon waking (yeah, that was a bit over the top), and nor have I ever opened a bible, so understandably I might be a little lost. However, I've read some Emerson and recall him using "The Knower, The Doer, and The Sayer" in lieu of the theological trinity. So with a little cognitive effort, fueled by some coffee and eggs, I managed to recall that the ghost was also known as the "Spirit," and decided that it was just another name for consciousness.

Which incidentally ties into the long freewill/cause&effect thread that I've had the pleasure of reading today. If the ghost is consciousness, then the father is God/Nature and the son, of course, is all us little critters on earth. So the ghost is an interfacing of man and nature. The ghost is intentionality, freewill. Solved, right?

What I was hoping is that one of you folks would be so kind as to pry the lid off my idiocy and tell it like it is, or at least expound a bit. Better yet, does anyone have any thoughts on why it is that we have these trinity-models for All That Is? Any other names for "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost?"

Thanks kindly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Trinity [Re: Alobar]
    #2462332 - 03/22/04 11:23 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

father(earth) son(fire) and spirit(air) the three major aspects for human life can be compared with many similarities to god. Your stomach associated with eating, the life connection to earth. Your thought compared to breathing, which brings the energy and essense of life into your body, and your heart which pumps blood and regulates feelings and emotions.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Trinity [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2462452 - 03/23/04 12:07 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Explain these similarities. I really do want an explaination...

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Trinity [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2462490 - 03/23/04 12:24 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I already explained them, they are the trinity, mans assiation with the divine aspects of the universe, the earth the very essense of life itself, breath, the spirit and mind that directs life, and heart, the comunication between the 2 providing insight into the 'spritual' realm

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Trinity [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2462505 - 03/23/04 12:32 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Explain these as they actually apply...

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Trinity [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2462526 - 03/23/04 12:42 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

well basicly my veiw is that by concentrating on the stomach/heart/throught chakra's , you can tune in greater to the forces called the universe err sorry my thoguht are short to many  :beer:

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2476307 - 03/26/04 10:00 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

It's easiest explained through the yogic concept of dhyana or meditation. One lets the mind expand to its natural circumference through samadhi then allows the mind to maintain a point of awareness on a subject. This is the father and the son. The Father is the Absolute, and the Son is the maintenence of the Absolute into the focus on an object. What occurs is a reverberation of lively awareness in waves. This is the Holy Ghost. The process of meditation as described by Patanjali is called samyama or the unification of knower, known and object of knowing. When these three are in the state of simple awareness then samadhi is the result and unity is known. The three become one. When they unfold into experience and action then the one becomes three.

Some other parelils are:
nirmanakaya, sambogakaya, dharmakaya -
rishi,devata,chandas
and life itself

The notion that the Trinity of the Christians is somewhere else and off in heaven is the fundamental mistake of Western religion. It is simply your own self.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Trinity [Re: eve69]
    #2476432 - 03/26/04 10:39 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

The notion that the Trinity of the Christians is somewhere else and off in heaven is the fundamental mistake of Western religion. It is simply your own self.

your opnion, they would argue your trying to make yourself into a god ect. i was raised pentacostal though i don't buy into christanity really.

so there (pentacostal, baptist, probably lutheran ect.) belief is the 3 things are god the father (god) god the son (jesus) and god the holy spirit (holy spirit) 3 things but still one, like jesus is god but also the son of god, not going to get a further explaintion on how that's possible because they believe we don't have the anwsers to everything and when you try to anwser everything instead of simple faith you start to form your own relgion cult like (armstrongism ect.) the holy spirit is god working on earth, spirit because you cannot see it/him, like if you see those church services where people fall backwards they are "slain in the spirit" god is working through them basically and they become overwhelmed and passout, same with speaking in tounges and miracles all performed by the holy spirit/god which are the same thing but not. other relgions don't believe in that stuff like Jews and don't believe Jesus is god, basically just a profit like mohammed, and christians believe if you don't accept Jesus as lord you go to hell, basically Jews, jehovias witness, most catholics (they don't believe jesus rose from the dead i believe) are going to hell according to the relgions i'm familar with.

anyway don't usually post in s&p but this got my attention, hope it at least somewhat pertains to what you were asking :tongue:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2476751 - 03/26/04 11:54 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

brahma, vishnu, shiva...
~
hey, man, the christian concept of the trinity is a MYSTERY !
~
catholics are christians; they recite the apostles' creed & the nicene creeds (& nobody recites the athansian creed, hehheh...)
heck, martin luther was a catholic priest... his main beef with the roman catholic church was that all manner of things not supported by the bible had crept into catholic practice; he mostly wished to restore the church universal to its "original apostolic purity" & when the papal authorities would not co-operate he finally broke away from rome...

most groups calling themselves "christian" buy into the idea of "father, son, & holy spirit" being 3 aspects of one god; but many mystics - catholic as well as protestant - acknowledge that there is an aspect of god that is beyond human comprehension (sometimes this is called "the ground of being" or "the godhead", etc...)
~
historical note: the great schism (between roman catholic & greek catholic (= "orthodox")) was caused by a disagreement over the nature of the holy spirit, who: "proceedeth from the father" vs. "proceedeth from the father and the son" ("and the son" = "et filoque")
go figure...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Trinity [Re: gnrm23]
    #2477077 - 03/26/04 01:19 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

"most groups calling themselves "christian" buy into the idea of "father, son, & holy spirit" being 3 aspects of one god; but many mystics - catholic as well as protestant - acknowledge that there is an aspect of god that is beyond human comprehension"

Are you saying the father , son , and spirit are the aspects that they think are beyond human grasp??

You seem to know alot about the subject... I personally think the father/son metaphor is used to show duality in god, and that the spirit is humans connections with this split of entity and its way to connect to the One. thats all speculation though as I am still refining what I think

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Trinity [Re: gnrm23]
    #2477150 - 03/26/04 01:38 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

most groups calling themselves "christian" buy into the idea of "father, son, & holy spirit" being 3 aspects of one god; but many mystics - catholic as well as protestant - acknowledge that there is an aspect of god that is beyond human comprehension (sometimes this is called "the ground of being" or "the godhead", etc...)

Catholics believe "father, son and holy spirit " are the same but i think protestants believe that only "father and son" are one but they see the holy spirit as a different thing. Correct me if i'm wrong ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder