Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
AARP Ad
    #2462133 - 03/22/04 10:39 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I just caught an AARP ad on the television whilst
watching a little Law and Order.

They were advertising that they were pushing for
legal exportation of prescription drugs from canada
to help lower the costs.

The closing line of the commercial:

"This is a Drug War we can win."

NICE!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: AARP Ad [Re: afoaf]
    #2462178 - 03/22/04 10:47 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

It would work... for a while.

The reason drugs cost less in Canada is that the Canadian government subsidizes them. They do that using taxes they collect from Canadians. By buying drugs re-imported from Canada, Americans would in essence be stealing from Canadian taxpayers. This might be considered a fair tradeoff, seeing as how American taxpayers are subsidizing Canada's defense needs.

Be that as it may, sooner or later the Canadian government would either drop the subsidies or pass a law forbidding Canadian pharmacies to sell to Americans.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: AARP Ad [Re: Phred]
    #2462242 - 03/22/04 11:01 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I think that all depends on whether Canadian drug companies would be losing money without the subisdies, or simply making less profit or breaking even.

As long as they don't lose money at the current subsidy levels by producing more to meet the US demand, there's no reason for Canadian drug manufacturers to oppose selling to US customers--just the opposite, they would make more marginal profit that way. There's obviously no reason for Canadian pharmacies to oppose selling to US customers. And as long as taxes don't go up to increase subsidies so that Canadian drug firms can profitably serve the US market, I don't see why Canadian voters would oppose it either.

But I don't know anything about the current profitability of Canadian drug companies, so the question is still up in the air.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2462329 - 03/22/04 11:22 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

whoa whoa whoa...

I should have clarified, I wasn't really paying attention
to AARP's crusade so much as the double entendre in
the statement.

as if to imply the *other* drug war can't be won.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #2462704 - 03/23/04 01:46 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Hehe! Yeah, I caught that too! :laugh:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2462873 - 03/23/04 03:05 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

I'm not familiar with the specifics with Canada, but pharmaceutical companies do sell their drugs at different prices to different countries.

Personally I'd like to see fewer clandestine meth labs and more clandestine interferon and AZT labs bootlegging drugs for people who can't afford the jacked up prices the pharmacidal companies charge.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: AARP Ad [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2463353 - 03/23/04 09:58 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

EchoVortex writes:

I think that all depends on whether Canadian drug companies would be losing money without the subisdies, or simply making less profit or breaking even.

The profit levels of the pharmacos who sell their products in Canada is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is how long it would take for the Canadian government to realize they were subsidizing American drug buyers as well as Canadian ones.

As long as they don't lose money at the current subsidy levels by producing more to meet the US demand, there's no reason for Canadian drug manufacturers to oppose selling to US customers--just the opposite, they would make more marginal profit that way.

Excuse me for not being 100% clear in my first post. It is not just drugs produced by Canadian pharmacos which are cheaper in Canada, it is all prescription drugs. The Canadian government absorbs part of the cost of prescription drugs -- no matter who produces them -- sold in Canada. It's part of Canada's universal socialized medicine program.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2463369 - 03/23/04 10:07 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

All I know is that the American Pharmaceutical Industry is about to be giving a lot of money away to foriegn countries so they can do their R&D in a place without such strict FDA regulation and the bullshit scheduling act.

yep. because of the American WOD, big Pharma will be dependant on foriegn nations with liberal drug laws for their R&D.

PS- FUCK THE AARP!

Edited by DoctorJ (03/23/04 10:08 AM)

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2463400 - 03/23/04 10:18 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

The profit levels of the pharmacos who sell their products in Canada is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is how long it would take for the Canadian government to realize they were subsidizing American drug buyers as well as Canadian ones.

It would be pretty stupid of them to make such a knee-jerk reaction if it turned out that American buyers were bringing money into the Canadian economy that wouldn't be there otherwise at no additional cost to the Canadian taxpayer than what they are paying already.

The Canadian government absorbs part of the cost of prescription drugs -- no matter who produces them -- sold in Canada. It's part of Canada's universal socialized medicine program.

If a large percentage of the drugs sold in Canada are in fact imported from the United States, subsidized by the Canadian government, and then reimported to the US, then yes, increased sales would mean a greater burden on the Canadian government coffers and therefore the taxpayers. It would be interesting to know if the Canadian gov't has done a cost-benefit analysis of this issue. Somehow I doubt that they're completely oblivious to the phenomenon, as you seem to be implying.

EDIT: It's also important to note that part of the difference between Canadian and US drug prices is due to price controls, not just subsidies--that is to say, instead of subsidizing the lower prices the government merely tells the drug maker to sell the drug at a lower profit margin or pack up and leave town.

Edited by EchoVortex (03/23/04 10:24 AM)

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #2463409 - 03/23/04 10:22 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I saw that commercial, it made me sick. People need to realize that yes prescription drugs are expensive, however the US develops many of those drugs, and has to shell out literally billions of dollars in R&D, and they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the products are relatively safe, then they have to advertise and market the drug, once drugs start to be imported, it is much harder for the US to develop new drugs, and every suffers as a result. It would be a shame to see the downfall of pharm companies in the US, as well as a resulting decline in the health care of the US and the rest of the World.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: AARP Ad [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2463420 - 03/23/04 10:26 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

damnit!

this thread was only supposed to be about the AARP's
side remark about the inability to win the drug war.

can we please stay on topic so I don't have to throw
a temper tantrum!?!?!

I mean, all this intelligent discussion and nobody is
talking about my main point, which is so painfully
obvious.

:smirk:

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2463424 - 03/23/04 10:29 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Sorry............... I think that the real drug war will be won eventually, unfortunately too many people are blinded by propaganda at this point in time.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: AARP Ad [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2463433 - 03/23/04 10:31 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I was being sarcastic, don't sweat it.

the drug war can't be won.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2463442 - 03/23/04 10:36 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

My point was that their assertion is incorrect. Their "drug war" can't be won either -- at least not by re-importing drugs from countries with socialized medicine.

You were pointing out the irony of their statement; I was pointing out the double irony.

Out of deference to you, I will not prolong the "off topic" part of the debate in this thread.

pinky

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2463447 - 03/23/04 10:37 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I think it can be won, but not in this lifetime, its going to take a long time, as many people in this country are way to uptight, especially many conservatives.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2463521 - 03/23/04 11:08 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

dude!!!

you guys are so funny...

don't take it personally, I was just being a smartass.

(please see M_M thread, "it's none of my business!")

you guys are not off topic.

there really wasn't a specific topic...

well, there was, but the conversation that's ensued is
far superior to any that could have plausibly spawned
from my stupid drug references!

let's smokem peace pipe and ride to canoodia for some
tylenol with codein!

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2463612 - 03/23/04 11:51 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

So what do you suggest should be done about people not being able to afford to buy medicine that they need?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: AARP Ad [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2463622 - 03/23/04 11:53 AM (20 years, 10 days ago)

They should try to persuade other people to loan them the money they require to buy it, or even to try to persuade other people to give them that money as an outright gift.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2463654 - 03/23/04 12:11 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

The drug war will not end in regards to psychedelics- either psychedelics will be completely wiped out (save pot), or it will continue on like this.

However, in regards to all those other drugs like heroin that the CIA notoriously likes to peddle, the drug war WILL purposely never end- just look that the poppy harvest coming out of Afghanistan. Do you think the government is just stupid? They walked into Afghanistan completely oblivious to the fact that it's a major opiate producer, and invading and westernizing Afghanistan would open the flood gates to new western markets? No, definitely not. In fact, before the war started there was a special on CBS about the great potential of Afghanistani opiate production. Now cheap heroin has flooded Great Britain again (right in time for the crack down on harmless mj). SO, do they try to cut down on a drug that actually causes irreversible harm, death and destruction? No. Not in this world- where down is up. Instead, they either peddle it or let it fly as much as they can without question, then they imprison people for it with your tax dollars.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: AARP Ad [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2463669 - 03/23/04 12:16 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

you cant prove that the CIA sells heroin

therefore the CIA does not sell heroin

:rolleyes:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order