Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenubgrower
Dude
Male

Loc: Moon 13 the Moon.
Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only
    #24623137 - 09/12/17 11:55 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

http://nationalpost.com/health/ottawa-proposes-making-otc-codeine-pills-prescription-only-after-years-of-pressure

The suggested change would put a damper on products with sales of 600 million pills a year — 20 tablets for every Canadian — and a non-prescription status virtually unique in the industrialized world.

In a notice of the possible new rules, the government cites the surprising addiction toll exacted by the low doses of codeine in medicines that combine the opioid with acetaminophen or other painkillers.

About 500 people a year are admitted just to publicly funded addiction-treatment centres because they’re hooked on non-prescription codeine alone, and another 800 because of addiction to low-dose codeine plus other drugs, the department says.

--------------------
Great teks here.
And here.
Fortunately, I’m adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: nubgrower]
    #24623157 - 09/12/17 12:06 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

nubgrower said:a non-prescription status virtually unique in the industrialized world.

Australia went down this route too and takes effect feb 2018. Who next :uhoh:

--------------------
Forlǣt þīne murcnunge

Offlinenubgrower
Dude
Male

Loc: Moon 13 the Moon.
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: Mostly_Harmless] * 2
    #24623181 - 09/12/17 12:24 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

millions upon millions of people, and 600 million pills, and only 500 people needing addiction help.  :rolleyes:

Fearmongering idiots

--------------------
Great teks here.
And here.
Fortunately, I’m adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber

OfflineKonyap
lurker

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: nubgrower]
    #24623343 - 09/12/17 01:44 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

yeah this just forces more people to commit crimes

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #24623400 - 09/12/17 02:08 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:
yeah this just forces more people to commit crimes

Or you know, not abuse codeine :lol:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24623611 - 09/12/17 03:55 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

exactly, make it illegal like heroin and people will stop abusing it.

simple, really.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: Apostle]
    #24623639 - 09/12/17 04:06 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Apostle said:
exactly, make it illegal like heroin and people will stop abusing it.

simple, really.

The reason so many people are going back to heroin/ street opiates is due to the crackdown on prescribed pain meds. Making codeine prescription only makes sense IMO.

It's not like they are actually making it illegal like heroin is :shrug:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: musiclover420]
    #24623656 - 09/12/17 04:11 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

You just stated yourself that less access to prescribed opiates will lead people to street heroin and yet you propose limiting that access to codeine?

not everyone will be able to get the prescription and you'll put more money into the hands of cartels and more addicts in an early grave.

Offlinefractalgod
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: Apostle]
    #24624232 - 09/12/17 08:23 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

If they ban otc codeine watch overdose and addiction rates splurge. Same thing happened when kratom was banned in a couple states overdoses immediately went up.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: fractalgod]
    #24624254 - 09/12/17 08:36 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

fractalgod said:
If they ban otc codeine watch overdose and addiction rates splurge. Same thing happened when kratom was banned in a couple states overdoses immediately went up.

Why wouldn't people just get a prescription? It's not like Codeine is being made illegal. We shouldn't have super addictive OTC meds in the first place.

That's just a recipe for more addicts. Look at the whole sizurp rap culture, it's pretty disturbing.

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: musiclover420]
    #24624373 - 09/12/17 09:29 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

fractalgod said:

Why wouldn't people just get a prescription? It's not like Codeine is being made illegal. We shouldn't have super addictive OTC meds in the first place.

That's just a recipe for more addicts. Look at the whole sizurp rap culture, it's pretty disturbing.

Well it depends if they take the same route of the US and decide they're going to make it all but impossible to get a script. (It's pretty much prohibition at that point.) That's a sure fire way to increase heroin addiction and od numbers. Not just heroin either but all opiates.

"We shouldn't have super addictive OTC meds in the first place."

We shouldn't have super addictive tobacco available. Caffeine too because there are sooooo many addicts. Or alcohol! It shouldn't be available, we should prohibit alcohol!!

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male

Re: Ottawa proposes making OTC codeine pills prescription-only [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24624404 - 09/12/17 09:43 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

We shouldn't have super addictive tobacco available. Caffeine too because there are sooooo many addicts. Or alcohol! It shouldn't be available, we should prohibit alcohol!!

I agree but that doesn't mean we need more stuff for people to get addicted too. Any drug can be a gateway drug but it seems prescription opiates often lead people to try heroin.

Also once again not having codeine as an OTC med is way different then making alcohol or tobacco illegal. Making them prescription only would be a better comparison.

But both are so widely accepted I doubt even that would be likely any time soon. Though we could at least stop glorifying them so much.

Alcohol ads are ridiculous, really shows how easily manipulated many people are:

>
South Park Alcohol Commercial

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #24624807 - 09/13/17 12:29 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

"I agree but that doesn't mean we need more stuff for people to get addicted too. Any drug can be a gateway drug but it seems prescription opiates often lead people to try heroin."

I was being facetious, I don't actually believe in any of what I said there. Thats why i mentioned alcohol prohibition which is a well known and profound failure. What I do believe in though is freedom.

As far as RX opiates leading people to try heroin, I will not argue the point. It's true but having been a heroin addict i can tell you that heroin is a drug of desperation in many senses. Plenty of addicts don't actually prefer heroin, they'll tell you of half a dozen rx opiates they prefer over heroin but are not affordable/easily available.

People jumped to heroin in the US after the crackdown on rx opiates left them out in the cold with no way to cope. Direct cause and effect.

This article sites that 500 people a year in Ottawa enter treatment centers for (just) otc codeine addiction. How much harder would it be on those individuals if they were addicted to heroin? Probably a hell of a lot. Which is exactly what would happen if codeine became all but unavailable. A percentage of these people would move to heroin.

"Also once again not having codeine as an OTC med is way different then making alcohol or tobacco illegal. Making them prescription only would be a better comparison.
"

If practically no one (legitamite or not) can get a script, how is that not pretty much prohibition?

This idea is a huge step backwards especially considering some of the other headlines I've read out of Canada having to do with opiate/heroin addiction. (Certain ideas/concepts I've read that I wish the US would learn from)

But yeah, If nothing else you'll see a black market, criminal element form as a result of this.

Edited by Mush 4 Brains (09/13/17 01:01 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service