Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
The history channels "Marijuana"
    #2462042 - 03/23/04 12:17 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The history channel aired a special on marijuana, it was an hour long and really good, for those of you in different time zones other than easter it probably has yet to play, as it started at 11pm eastern time. Anyway it made light of several issues such as the fact that marijuana was made illegal for political reasons as opposed to its effects. They had originally decriminalized it to prevent mexican immigrants from taking jobs, and entering the country.

They substianted this claim thouroughly, cited scientific studies, etc. etc. They mentioned how timothy leary had overturned the drug tax stampl law of 1937 by pointing out it was self incrimination, all in all it was really good. The reason I started this thread is I am trying to understand why the nation has not decriminalized marijuana, Im not sure what if any political/health reasons there could be for not having done so.

Please no comments about "neocons" preventing it from being decriminalized, I do realize that conservatives are one of the primary pushers of drug laws, but I see no reason to do so. Even some liberals are afraid Im sure to speak their mind about the topic (Im reffering to politicians). So my question here is, is there any political reasons that marijuana has not been decriminalized as of yet?

Here is a link about decriminalization that includes the list of states where it is currently decriminalized. http://slate.msn.com/id/1007088/

--------------------

Edited by blacksabbathrulz (03/23/04 12:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2462071 - 03/23/04 12:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

So my question here is, is there any political reasons that marijuana has not been decriminalized as of yet?

If I'm not mistaken, small amounts are decriminalized here in California. Anyway, my dad would probably tell you it's because America is by nature a very Puritanical country, but I think to find out what's keeping the drug war going, you have to follow the money. The Partnership for a Drug-Free America is basically nothing more than a lobbying arm for the liquor, tobacco, and pharmaceutical industries, all of which have powerful lobbies in Washington. Think about it: if it's natural, no one can get a patent on it, and thus it would only take money away from these industries.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

User Gallery
Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: silversoul7]
    #2462086 - 03/23/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I could definitely see tobacco and liquor companies taking a blow, I imagine that the pharmaceutical companies would receive the least detriment, with the exception of those that market aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofen, however pharmaceutical companies are one form of big business I thoroughly support.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2462115 - 03/23/04 12:36 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I imagine that the pharmaceutical companies would receive the least detriment, with the exception of those that market aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofen, however pharmaceutical companies are one form of big business I thoroughly support.

In my experience, nothing works better on my headaches than weed. Not to mention the many other medicinal uses of this miracle plant. A pharmaceutical company actually did create a medication called Marinol which contained synthetic THC, but why do you suppose they couldn't just use weed? I'll tell you why--cuz you can't patent a plant.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2462148 - 03/23/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, weed is a miracle cure for headaches, my friend used to get migraines so horrible that he would vomit, now he just takes a couple of puffs and everything is kosher. Its kind of a shame that business is a major factor in this.

Decriminilazation would have numerous benifits, They US wouldnt have to spend money on those stupid commercials you see on TV, There would be a significant drop in the crime rate, as many crimes are simply possessing/growing/selling marijuana, which would lead to a lesser need for law enforcement which is payed with through tax payer dollars, murder rate due to drug related crimes would obviously decline as it would be devalued, I know everyone who is reading this has heard this all before, but it just seems so intiuitively obvious that I cant begin to fathom why its not legal yet.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2462224 - 03/23/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The first step to legalization is information and bringing the truth to the public. Shows such as this will do that. The one thing that really peeves me though is when the government has those commercials and DARE classes and health information that they call "facts" and the "truth" when really it's exaggerations or fabrications at best. Twisting the words of truth is extremely destructive, and much of the reason why minors do drugs, as they see that marijuana, which is supposedly so evil, is so harmless, then so must be the other drugs. True in some cases, like acid and shrooms, but with coke and alcohol it's much easier for minors to get addicted due to brain chemistry. I have heard this from reputable sources, but I can't find an article right now due to whenever I'm searching for it finding a bunch of anti-drug sites instead.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: Ravus]
    #2462252 - 03/23/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"Adolescents get addicted more quickly than do adults because their bodies are still growing. Brain cells killed by alcohol are not replaced. (This growth process continues until approximately 24 years of age.) It takes an adult 5 to 15 years to become physically addicted to alcohol. It takes an adolescent six months to two years to become addicted to alcohol. "
http://www.ctprevention.com/necasa/alcohol/adolescents.html
Not the best site, but based on true studies. Though it may be for different reasons, like minors may get psychologically addicted to substances easier than adults and following psychological addiction with addictive drugs comes physical addiction, the government does nothing about it, grouping harmless illegal marijuana in with addictive legal alcohol.

And marijuana is beautiful for anything for me. Insomnia, headaches, depression, lack of energy, decreased concentration, many ails can be solved with a bowl or two. When I was in high school and had a big test, going to school high would always actually help my grade, as I could concentrate on the test better with no anxiety and search my brain fully, thinking in ways I wouldn't sober. Marijuana made my grades better than average, but imagine taking tests drunk. That would definitely have lowered grades.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: Ravus]
    #2462850 - 03/23/04 04:47 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
The first step to legalization is information and bringing the truth to the public.

jonh stewart said that polls say that over 68% of americans feel that people shouldnt be imprisoned for pot possesion.

so, if its not the peoples will to send pot users to prison.... who's will is it.......

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2462857 - 03/23/04 04:53 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

BTW, shrooms work better than weed for some migraines.

Ask pinky about it.

--------------------

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #2463745 - 03/23/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I watched the first eight minutes or so of it, and it was alittle to biased for my liking. Not nearly as good as the One i saw on PBS the other day.
History C. is going to air one about lsd,mdma next. I think i'll miss that one also if its more of the same.
However the opium one would be tight, as i have no strong views about opiates.

--------------------

User Gallery
Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2463837 - 03/23/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Really?? I thought it was slightly biased, however I thought it was more biased in support than against.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2463860 - 03/23/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blacksabbathrulz said:
Really?? I thought it was slightly biased, however I thought it was more biased in support than against.

Ya, I thought so too. But then again, maybe that's just cuz it was telling the truth.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2463953 - 03/23/04 03:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wish that was mandatory viewing for everyone alive, It simply told the truth, nothing else, and I can't see any possible way that you argue with the facts.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2464118 - 03/23/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamer987 said:
I watched the first eight minutes or so of it, and it was alittle to biased for my liking. Not nearly as good as the One i saw on PBS the other day.
History C. is going to air one about lsd,mdma next. I think i'll miss that one also if its more of the same.
However the opium one would be tight, as i have no strong views about opiates.

See, a lot of people have no strong feelings about marijuana so they could care less about what happens to users. You have to point out errors when you see them, not when it suits you.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2464136 - 03/23/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What was this show called?

If it was called "Hooked: Illegal Drugs And How They Got That Way", then that's from 2000 and can be viewed RIGHT HERE.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

User Gallery
Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: Learyfan]
    #2464270 - 03/23/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I was under the impression that it was just called illegal drugs and how they got that way, I never saw the hooked part, but I may have missed it, but Im sure that is the show you are referring to.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2464275 - 03/23/04 05:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blacksabbathrulz said:
I wish that was mandatory viewing for everyone alive, It simply told the truth, nothing else, and I can't see any possible way that you argue with the facts.

Well, you can tell the truth and still be biased. For example, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. For a project in my Middle Eastern Studies class, I followed the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict, and compared the coverage of CNN and Al Jazeera. They would cover the same story, but it would be from totally different perspectives. I found Al Jazeera actually tended to cover the stories more in-depth, including the names of whatever suspected terrorists the Israelis were arresting or killing, as well as mentioning the Palestinian homes that were demolished in the process.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2472233 - 03/25/04 07:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I saw not only the marijuana one,but the one about opiates and the LSD/MDMA one too. After watching the shows, I didn't come to the conclusion that the shows,the way they were narrated, had a single cohesive viewpoint or opinion,which IMHO is a must have for a good documentary.

They seemed to be a bit on the anti drug side at times,but that's to be expected in our Puritanical society. All things considered,I think the series was pretty damn good.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: The history channels "Marijuana" [Re: monoamine]
    #2475984 - 03/26/04 09:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I saw the HC one about cocane, it was alright till they got into the whole co lumbian drug lord heircry.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #2476094 - 03/26/04 10:32 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone know where you can dl the videos? Been trying to get the whole "Hooked: Illegal Drugs" collection since I keep missing it on TV :frown:

And the main reason its still illegal is politics, I even had a doctor back me up a few weeks ago saying thats what he learned in med school.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion