Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about
    #24620256 - 09/11/17 09:34 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/11/heres-one-marijuana-trend-you-should-actually-be-worried-about/

The latest federal survey data shows that while teen marijuana use continues to decline in the era of legal pot, adult use is rising. The percent of people over the age of 18 who smoke it in a given year has risen from 10.4 percent in 2002 to 14.1 percent in 2016. In other words, 46 million people got high last year.

In and of itself, the increase in adult marijuana use isn't particularly alarming. Public-health researchers are typically more worried about adolescent drug use, which can derail a young person's life. If more adults are smoking marijuana once or twice a year — even once or twice a month — it's not really a huge concern.

More concerning, though, is the number of people who are getting high all the time — heavy users who smoke on a daily or near-daily basis. The federal data shows that those numbers are increasingly precipitously.

In 2016,  nearly 19 percent of people who used marijuana that year used it at least 300 days out of the year. That figure's up by roughly 50 percent from 2002, when 12 percent of marijuana users consumed the drug daily or near-daily.

Again, this on its own is not necessarily cause for concern. It's possible to smoke marijuana moderately on a daily basis — half a joint to wind down after a day of work, akin to the ubiquitous glass of wine with dinner, for instance.

But the comparison with alcohol is instructive here. According to the federal survey data, marijuana users are far more likely to use daily than drinkers are to drink daily. Here's the same chart above, but with a trend line for daily drinking added.

In a given year, lots of people drink — but relatively few of them drink every day. That's not true for marijuana. Marijuana users are nearly three times as likely as drinkers to consume their drug of choice daily.

Some of that daily marijuana use is probably inherently moderate and nothing to be concerned about. But public health researchers worry that much of it is a result of problematic use — drug dependency.

"While alcohol is more dangerous in terms of acute overdose risk, and also in terms of promoting violence and chronic organ failure, marijuana — at least as now used in the United States — creates higher rates of behavioral problems, including dependence, among all its users," as Carnegie Mellon University researcher Jonathan Caulkins wrote for the magazine National Affairs earlier this year.

The question, then, becomes how best to address the risks of chronic, heavy marijuana use. Keeping pot illegal is not likely to solve things — after all, the charts above show that daily marijuana use was rising well before the first states legalized the drug in 2014.

Legalization advocates say that bringing the drug out in the open and regulating it is the best way to go. They point to tobacco as an example: Tobacco use, including heavy use, has fallen precipitously in the past two decades as a result of public health campaigns and greater stigma around use of the drug — all of which was accomplished without throwing people in jail for using it.

Public-health experts, meanwhile, are increasingly calling for a balance between the extremes of prohibition and commercialization — "grudging toleration," as New York University professor Mark Kleiman puts it. As a Rand Corp. report outlined last year, there are a whole host of options for dealing with the marijuana market, from allowing people to grow marijuana but not sell it, to giving the government a monopoly in marijuana sales, to more esoteric options like allowing nonprofit co-ops to control the supply of the drug.

The good news is that as laws relax around marijuana use, we're running real-world experiments in how some of those options actually work. In the United States, we have a handful of fully commercial markets, like the ones in Colorado and Washington. We also have noncommercial legalization for homegrown marijuana in the District.

In Canada, meanwhile, it appears that the province of Ontario will experiment with implementing a government monopoly on the drug starting in July of next year.

One thing that's increasingly clear is that more people than ever — 61 percent, at least — are unhappy with our traditional prohibitive approach to marijuana use and are ready to try something new.

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Tiberjuggaligger] * 2
    #24620280 - 09/11/17 09:43 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Oh no I'm oh so terrified.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24620317 - 09/11/17 10:04 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

That's how I felt too. With legal access, of course more people will use it and be open to admitting their usage. At least the data shows a key point of the prohibitionists argument is invalid, children are not using it more than before legalization. So there is that!

--------------------

InvisibleetuHad4
Meh
I'm a teapot

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24620374 - 09/11/17 10:27 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Tiberjuggaligger said:
That's how I felt too. With legal access, of course more people will use it and be open to admitting their usage. At least the data shows a key point of the prohibitionists argument is invalid, children are not using it more than before legalization. So there is that!

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Oh no I'm oh so terrified.

Both have stolen the thoughts from my brain. Bell Said.

Id like to see the long term trend in comparison to crime rate.

"You know that weed can really ease your mind
Every time I smoke good reefer that indo high makes me fly
If everybody smoked a blunt, relieve the mind, the world could
Be a better place
If everybody took a break and we all just got wasted
Toked out (out, out out), smoked out (out, out, out),
Choked out (out, out, out), pull another O (out, out, out)
Let's get P-O-D-ded (P-O-D-ded, P-O-D-ded)"

Bone Thugs.

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: etuHad4]
    #24620385 - 09/11/17 10:30 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Great minds think alike!
:cheersyoufuck:

--------------------

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: etuHad4]
    #24620393 - 09/11/17 10:32 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Shit article

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Offlineniteman
Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24620502 - 09/11/17 11:22 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I thought this was going to be about cannabinoid hyperemesis sydrome.
I have a friend who is going through this although he got there from using way too many synthetic cannabinoids not from weed. I could imagine someone could potentially get it from extremely heavy use of concentrates but probably not so much from normal weed

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: niteman]
    #24620594 - 09/11/17 12:03 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The only reason "to be worried about" the article gave that more people use it every day which causes "drug dependency". OK, so what happens if you become dependent on Marijuana? Nothing I guess otherwise they would have stated it.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: searching]
    #24620772 - 09/11/17 01:35 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

searching said:
The only reason "to be worried about" the article gave that more people use it every day which causes "drug dependency". OK, so what happens if you become dependent on Marijuana? Nothing I guess otherwise they would have stated it.

I think what they are really worried about is the more people get stoned regularly the less people will be dependent on pills or alcohol/ tobacco.

Many people toke recreationally but a large percentage uses cannabis medicinally too. So of course more people will be using it regularly either way.

This article is ridiculous, now if they had data for the % of people who smoke for fun and use it every day I might be a bit more interested.

But I imagine a significant portion of every day tokers are self medicating for various reasons, and it's not like there's anything wrong with that :shrug:

Also "daily use" is pretty stupid as it doesn't show how much they are using. Daily use could be 1-2 puffs on a pipe 2-3x a day which is way healthier then most common vices/ medicines.

Dabbing all day could cause issues no doubt but most people don't have the connections or money to smoke extracts 24/7 as they can be pretty expensive.

Seems like they are grasping at straws for ways to make cannabis look bad.

Of course they don't show graphs of how many people drink alcohol daily or smoke cigarettes daily, even though they tried claiming daily drinking is less common :rolleyes:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Offlineclown133
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: searching] * 1
    #24621580 - 09/11/17 06:02 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

searching said:
OK, so what happens if you become dependent on Marijuana? Nothing

This type of thinking is dangerous and irresponsible, and its sad that the majority of pot smokers seem to share the same attitude.

--------------------

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad ~ Jack Handey

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: clown133]
    #24621624 - 09/11/17 06:14 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

the only drugs you can become dependent on cause your body to rebound when you're off that drug

marijuana is not that drug
it's pretty natural and it's withdrawl effects last hours not days

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Konyap]
    #24621641 - 09/11/17 06:19 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know about that, hours not days business. I spent all of last year smoking quality buds and when I stopped a few months ago, I was irritable and didn't sleep well for 3 weeks or so. Sure, that's not heroin withdrawal but it is something.:shrug:

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24621654 - 09/11/17 06:22 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

clown133 said:
Quote:

searching said:
OK, so what happens if you become dependent on Marijuana? Nothing

This type of thinking is dangerous and irresponsible, and its sad that the majority of pot smokers seem to share the same attitude.

Relatively speaking it's pretty much nothing :shrug: Even coffee has nastier withdrawals IME :lol:

I smoke a ton and have been a daily toker for years. When I cut down there are 0 negative effects. Stopping cold turkey can cause some pretty mild symptoms but that's it for me.

Also no one can speak for "the majority of pot smokers" :lol: Believe it or not all sorts of people smoke and have many different opinions on it.

Quote:

Tiberjuggaligger said:
I don't know about that, hours not days business. I spent all of last year smoking quality buds and when I stopped a few months ago, I was irritable and didn't sleep well for 3 weeks or so. Sure, that's not heroin withdrawal but it is something.:shrug:

How well did you sleep before you started smoking?

After daily smoking for years suddenly stopping will mess with my sleep for like 1-3 days and I will have less appetite and some mild irritability.

Everyone is different I guess but 3 weeks seems a bit much. Even stopping daily extract use was not nearly that bad for me.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlineniteman

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: musiclover420]
    #24621696 - 09/11/17 06:32 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

It seems that both sides of this issue have their own opinions and biases. I personally don't smoke right now and haven't in 6 months and I can say for sure I felt physical and mental side symptoms when I quit cold turkey. They were relatively mild compared to other drugs (benzo withdrawal was one of the most hellish experiences I have ever been through) but they were definitely real. I think it is important that stoners and hippies on here at least admit there could potentially be negatives to chronic weed smokin. I mean its not like you people are scientists so how can you immediately discredit any "findings". If you choose to live in the dark you are just as bad as the prohibitionists with their "Just Say No" BS.

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: niteman]
    #24621781 - 09/11/17 06:52 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I've always slept great, like a rock! My wife has been amazed for years at how I can hit the pillow and be out in under a minute. But everytime I quit to clean up for a test at work, I sleep terrible for a few weeks. Then it's back to sleeping like a rock. You're right though, everyone is different.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: niteman] * 1
    #24621792 - 09/11/17 06:59 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

niteman said:
It seems that both sides of this issue have their own opinions and biases. I personally don't smoke right now and haven't in 6 months and I can say for sure I felt physical and mental side symptoms when I quit cold turkey. They were relatively mild compared to other drugs (benzo withdrawal was one of the most hellish experiences I have ever been through) but they were definitely real. I think it is important that stoners and hippies on here at least admit there could potentially be negatives to chronic weed smokin. I mean its not like you people are scientists so how can you immediately discredit any "findings". If you choose to live in the dark you are just as bad as the prohibitionists with their "Just Say No" BS.

I agree but literally everything has pros and cons. Even water can be toxic if you consume enough. Smoke alone is not good for the body when over exposed.

Part of the whole "cannabis is perfect" mentality is somewhat of a backlash from all the propaganda and lies for decades.

Nothing is harmless even cannabis, but relative to many other commonly abused things like alcohol or tobacco it is pretty damn safe.

Even things like Tylenol kill thousands of people a year :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineFlyOnTheWall
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24621953 - 09/11/17 07:55 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I am definitely worried. That is a lot of new pot smokers.

Is there going to be enough weed for all of us? I don't want to have to smoke any less.

:uhoh:

Offlineniteman

Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: musiclover420]
    #24622214 - 09/11/17 09:22 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

It seems like we are on the same page then. I am definitely not worried about weed it is much safer than most things

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#24622337 - 09/11/17 10:06 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

No one has died from taking too much cannabis! People have died from caffeine yet its given to kids. So why are people so worried about cannabis use? :rolleyes: Reefer madness is still alive and well. :crazy2:

Quote:

Man-made caffeine is sometimes added to foods, drinks, and. medicines. Ninety percent of people in the world use caffeine in one form or. another. In the U.S., 80 percent of adults consume caffeine every day – the. average adult has an intake of 200 mg per day, the amount in two 5-ounce cups.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/UCM200805.pdf

Offlineschizferatu
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Strawberry Fields bey...
Re: Here's one marijuana trend you should actually be worried about [Re: FlyOnTheWall]
    #24622730 - 09/12/17 03:50 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

the only drugs you can become dependent on cause your body to rebound when you're off that drug

marijuana is not that drug
it's pretty natural and it's withdrawl effects last hours not days

Hours, days, my ass.  It's two weeks of sweaty cold nightmares and general grouchiness at least 11 days for me when I quit granted I'm a 30-year user but that's what I've dealt with for the last 20 whenever I've tried to quit.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies