Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Loc: Great Lakes
Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion
    #24616619 - 09/09/17 07:39 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

It's that time of year again when I doubt my knowledge and risk my life, or just don't bother eating any of the honey caps I collect.
Obviously, it's easy enough to print the caps on open specimens to determine if they are Armillaria (white print) or Galerina (brownish print)..The problem lies in collecting specimens that are unopened and too young to print.
My understanding tells me that:
Galerina tend to have a stipe that is more brown than anything and breaks easily, whereas Armillaria tends to be mostly white and fibrous. It is also said that Galerina have hollow stems, but they can be solid when young..so I don't like to go on that notion.
Is this summary accurate?
Am I missing some other tell tale clues, aside from the white mycelium fuzz that may or may not be present at that bases of Galerina, or the tell tale black rhizomorphic tendrils of Armillaria that aren't usually visible as well?
Thanks for your input.

--------------------
Time is mine, minus time.
RIP TP

Great Microscopy Reference

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: RiparianRanger]
    #24616639 - 09/09/17 07:49 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I can't see any Galerina but who knows what lurks in those buckets.

Armillaria are generally a more stout and larger mushroom than Galerina. Galerina don't usually grow in large clusters, like Armillaria does.

Maybe don't pick them so young. Another day or so, when the caps are open, you could identify easier.

Maybe get another local hunter to look them over in person.

--------------------

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: karode13]
    #24616882 - 09/09/17 09:37 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
I can't see any Galerina but who knows what lurks in those buckets.

Armillaria are generally a more stout and larger mushroom than Galerina. Galerina don't usually grow in large clusters, like Armillaria does.

Maybe don't pick them so young. Another day or so, when the caps are open, you could identify easier.

Maybe get another local hunter to look them over in person.

The goal of my post is to learn to differentiate between the two genus while they are in an immature state, which is the prime time to harvest Armillaria. The point is to be able to pick them, prior to opening, with confidence..By myself, without having someone look them over. Anyone can differentiate between the two when they are printable.
I was looking for ways to rule one way or the other, not the well known generalizations that don't apply to all circumstances, and aren't very helpful when dealing with immature specimens. I have read quite a bit on the topic, but have little field experience with Galerina. I often find Armillaria growing singly or in small, diminutive clusters that could easily fit into the size range for Galerina autumnalis.

My understanding of the Galerina genus is lacking mainly because I haven't bothered studying them in the wild, being as this brief period of the year is the only time they concern my gathering. Usually I pass over anything that looks to be similar to Galerina, including the Flamminula I know I've encountered a few times.
I pretty clearly stated what I thought to be definitive truths and was seeking input related to those statements, or other definitive truths.

--------------------
RIP TP

Edited by RiparianRanger (09/09/17 09:55 PM)

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: RiparianRanger]
    #24617025 - 09/09/17 10:56 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

By open caps I didn't mean that you'd print them. You'd get to see the gill structure and annulus.

If you take your finds to an experienced hunter they will be able to school you in the key differences in the field. Nothing beats experience.

The more you pick the more confident you will get. Probably time to start studying Galerina. Experience in the field is important. Learning the differences hands on is the best way.

--------------------

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

#24617359 - 09/10/17 02:13 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
By open caps I didn't mean that you'd print them. You'd get to see the gill structure and annulus.

If you take your finds to an experienced hunter they will be able to school you in the key differences in the field. Nothing beats experience.

The more you pick the more confident you will get. Probably time to start studying Galerina. Experience in the field is important. Learning the differences hands on is the best way.

I think I made it pretty clear in my posts what the topic of conversation was here, yet you seem to remain under the impression it is entirely something else. I was asking for specifics related to macroscopic identification which you seem to be unable to give, perhaps due to your own lack of experience on the subject matter.
If you have nothing to add to the actual topic presented here, maybe you should just refrain from posting in this thread, as I have little use for lessons in the obvious.

--------------------
RIP TP

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #24617379 - 09/10/17 02:35 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

LOL.

Good luck on your endevours mate. :mushroomgrow:

--------------------

Invisiblefungusmuncher
rabbit chaser
Male User Gallery

Loc: CT
    #24617590 - 09/10/17 08:31 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

How do you cook your honeys?  I've tried a half dozen ways but have never been impressed.

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: fungusmuncher]
    #24617597 - 09/10/17 08:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Watch out fungusmuncher. This guy gave me a bad rating for trying to help out. I was even nice the entire time.

So many victims posting lately.

--------------------

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Loc: Eastern USA
Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: karode13] * 1
    #24617679 - 09/10/17 09:51 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I reported that rating to the staff. Some people....

Thanks for everything you do karode

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: Roy]
    #24617739 - 09/10/17 10:37 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
Watch out fungusmuncher. This guy gave me a bad rating for trying to help out. I was even nice the entire time.

So many victims posting lately.

If by nice, you mean condescending and off topic, I agree..
Trying to victimize someone doesn't make them a victim.

Quote:

Roy said:
I reported that rating to the staff. Some people....

Thanks for everything you do karode

How does this relate to the topic of discussion here? More spam.

--------------------
RIP TP

OfflineRoy
Stranger

Loc: Eastern USA
Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: RiparianRanger] * 1
    #24617753 - 09/10/17 10:56 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Your out there in your own world guy. You gave one of the best contributers a bad rating for trying to help. And he gave the best and only advice you need, go find some Galerina and compare the differences yourself. They are nothing alike to experienced hunters and if you cant tell the difference than you should not be collecting Armillaria for eating. And obviously know nothing. Your original statements are correct but all mushrooms are variable from location to location. No one or no pictures on the internet will ever be able to help you possitively tell the difference. Study study study is the only way. They smell different if that helps. Good luck with the rest of your miserable life, you will now be ignored and dont have to worry about my "spam"

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

#24617793 - 09/10/17 11:20 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Roy said:
Your out there in your own world guy. You gave one of the best contributers a bad rating for trying to help. And he gave the best and only advice you need, go find some Galerina and compare the differences yourself. They are nothing alike to experienced hunters and if you cant tell the difference than you should not be collecting Armillaria for eating. And obviously know nothing. Your original statements are correct but all mushrooms are variable from location to location. No one or no pictures on the internet will ever be able to help you possitively tell the difference. Study study study is the only way. They smell different if that helps. Good luck with the rest of your miserable life, you will now be ignored and dont have to worry about my "spam"

My life is actually pretty fulfilling. And you were the one who wanted to chime in here and further spam my attempt at an intelligent discussion. This was a discussion involving comparisons of immature specimens..not an open forum for others opinions of where I should learn about them or what my skill level is. Now, instead of being a handy reference for myself and others, this thread is a bunch of useless spam..mostly from a moderator who should know better. To state the obvious is not helpful or useful to the discussion. One could say most of that stuff about any mushroom genus. Given the opening of this post, I think it should be pretty apparent that I had already done some serious study on the subject and this was to be a furthering of that research.
Some people seem to think they can just walk all over people and do what they want with no regard for what others are trying to accomplish. Instead of just adding tidbits of knowledge that are useful and definite, like what you said about them smelling different, you both chose to trash my thread with your flaming and condescending spam.

--------------------
RIP TP

Invisiblefungusmuncher
rabbit chaser
Male User Gallery

Loc: CT
    #24617879 - 09/10/17 12:12 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Roy said:
go find some Galerina and compare the differences yourself. They are nothing alike to experienced hunters and if you cant tell the difference than you should not be collecting Armillaria for eating.

Couldn't have put it better.  If after a few years of collecting wild mushrooms you can't differentiate between the two maybe you should go back to the drawing board.  Take time to do a side by side comparison and familiarize yourself with both species.  Coming in here with a shit attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Galerina vs Armillaria --Immature Macroscopy Discussion [Re: fungusmuncher]
    #24617908 - 09/10/17 12:30 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fungusmuncher said:
Quote:

Roy said:
go find some Galerina and compare the differences yourself. They are nothing alike to experienced hunters and if you cant tell the difference than you should not be collecting Armillaria for eating.

Couldn't have put it better.  If after a few years of collecting wild mushrooms you can't differentiate between the two maybe you should go back to the drawing board.  Take time to do a side by side comparison and familiarize yourself with both species.  Coming in here with a shit attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.

You are obviously missing the purpose of this discussion as well. As I said before, this was an attempt at an intelligent discussion about observations of the key differences in immature specimens, not a place to voice your opinions of me, my skill level, or where else I might take my lessons. The only real insight that was offered here was given with a lot of unnecessary inflammatory spam and opinions that have no place in this discussion. I have a great attitude, coupled with very little tolerance for people who feel the need to inject their opinions into everything without cause. You, yourself, have done nothing but add to that spam, without adding at all to the topic.

--------------------
RIP TP

Edited by RiparianRanger (09/10/17 12:31 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification