Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
High gasoline prices
    #2459831 - 03/22/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/2004-03-22-fortune-500_x.htm
For those of you that browse this board a lot, you might remember the thread about gasoline prices in the US is almost at a record high. Fortune's annual ranking will be published in april, but the results are already in.
Quote:

Jittery geopolitics kept the price of oil high, helping Exxon Mobil to post $213 billion in revenue. The 17% jump leapfrogged the oil company past General Motors into the No. 2 spot.

Bush at his best to help out his corporate buddies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: daussaulit]
    #2459906 - 03/22/04 10:54 AM (20 years, 11 days ago)

saddam hussein was illegally selling billions of euros worth of oil..which forced downward pressure on prices...now bush controls that supply..and the price..in the interest of his cronies...many amerikkkans supported the war under the illusion that freeing up the oil from saddam would bring the price down..an illusion which they will continue to hold in november...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2460729 - 03/22/04 03:34 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

What is so wrong about a corporation succeeding?

It isn't like it is one man hording away all this money. They have millions of shareholders, who will all benefit from this, not to mention the fact that it creates more jobs.

I do hope that you don't plan on retiring. Putting you money in the stock market would make you part owner in these evil corporations you know.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2461032 - 03/22/04 04:43 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
What is so wrong about a corporation succeeding?

It isn't like it is one man hording away all this money. They have millions of shareholders, who will all benefit from this, not to mention the fact that it creates more jobs.

So how many new jobs has Bush created since he took office?
Who's benefiting now?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2461358 - 03/22/04 06:51 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Corporations have a fiduciary obligation to make money for their shareholders, a huge component of which are pension funds.

I hope Bush doesn't create 1 fucking job while in office. I hope he cuts thousands. And with the money saved by that, real companies can hire real people to do real work and produce real products for the real benefit of all of us.

Mentioned today in the papers, as partial explanation for the rise in oil prices, is the increased demand in 3rd world countries which, thanks to globalization, are entering the world marketplace and making energy demands. Too bad, they shoud've stuck to subsistence farming and not been polluted by ambition, eh Anna.

The only Amerikkan I know who thinks that Hussein's illegal oil sales amounted to shit on the world oil market is you. It sure amounted to alot to his bank account ( and certain UN connected accounts) though.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2461408 - 03/22/04 07:13 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
So how many new jobs has Bush created since he took office?

The only way government creates jobs is by taking money from the private sector to fund it's schemes. This money is then no longer available for investment or hiring in the private sector. So in essence, any government jobs will come at the expense of jobs in the private sector. Government also has no incentive to do things efficiently or at a profit and wastes more resources than the private sector. What it does, it does badly.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2461591 - 03/22/04 08:09 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

My father is a Republican from Texas who practices civil litigation in the oil industry. Although he is more libertarian-minded than George Bush, he told me that he likes the fact that the price of gasoline is high right now. It makes him a lot of money because he has oil stocks.

George Bush likes it too. It makes his friends and family lots of money at the expense of regular working people. He has abused his position in the government to make his friends rich. The whole thing smacks of communism to me.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2461692 - 03/22/04 08:36 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

My wife is a real estate agent. I like the fact that real estate prices are high here now. Is that wrong? Sometimes the oil companies prosper, sometimes not so much. They don't often lose or they would be out of business. And you would have to get your electricity......somewhere. Why do all you loonies think there is no competition in the energy business?

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2461777 - 03/22/04 09:00 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I think high gasoline prices are just as indicative of
the american public's dependence on the automobile
as it is of oil company gluttony.

I think people would pay $3 a gallon.

I wonder how inflation also figures into the current
cost of fuel.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2461798 - 03/22/04 09:05 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I am not a real estate agent or an oil tycoon I prefer oil and real estate prices to be low. Why are you ignorant to the fact that oil and real estate companies conspire to increase prices.

Why don't you understand that maybe people don't enjoy being raped up the ass by big business?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: afoaf]
    #2461813 - 03/22/04 09:10 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

I am currently working on eliminating my dependence on petroleum.

I plan on having a finished electric automobile within 5 years. Very little (if any) of the electricity in my state comes from petroleum. I'm also investigating the possibility of growing my own biomass energy source.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: High gasoline prices [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2461865 - 03/22/04 09:23 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

neil young is powering his entire tour, which consists
of 8 buses and 5 trucks, using biodiesel, a vegetable
based fuel that can be made in the USA.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: afoaf]
    #2461870 - 03/22/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

It's a good thing he's not as popular as he used to be, so he won't have to travel so much.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: High gasoline prices [Re: Evolving]
    #2462151 - 03/22/04 10:42 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

bwahahaha!

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2464239 - 03/23/04 03:30 PM (20 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

My wife is a real estate agent. I like the fact that real estate prices are high here now. Is that wrong? Sometimes the oil companies prosper, sometimes not so much. They don't often lose or they would be out of business. And you would have to get your electricity......somewhere. Why do all you loonies think there is no competition in the energy business?

Are you too loony to realize that Bush is handing billions of dollars to a selected few at the expense of everyone else, even those who don't pay taxes? (inflation is a tax that everyone pays)

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
    #2466052 - 03/24/04 12:26 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

gas prices

anyone think that dwindling reserves may have some impact on price.
you know the SUPPLY and DEMAND thingy
anyone notice the big boys reducing their reserve estimates by massive margins?
reserve estimates are a load to begin with. when your funding the estimator and his estimate determines your value, i wonder what the outcome will be? perhaps a load of shit.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: High gasoline prices [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2466523 - 03/24/04 04:05 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Are you too loony to realize that Bush is handing billions of dollars to a selected few at the expense of everyone else, even those who don't pay taxes?

Ah, you must mean welfare recipients.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2466809 - 03/24/04 08:21 AM (20 years, 9 days ago)

This has nothing to do with "Bush helping out his corporate buddies and everything to do with:

1) OPEC's price increases

2) The shortage of refining capacity in the US

From today's Boortz.com:

I was amazed this morning to see CNN actually treat this subject fairly.? To begin with, CNN reported that in 1980 gas cost about $2.40 a gallon in 2004 dollars.? Well, so much for that "record gas price" nonsense. Any legitimate record has to take inflation into effect.? CNN is the first news outlet I've heard do so.

CNN also pointed out that America lacks in refining capacity.? So true.? There hasn't been a new oil refinery built in the United States since 1976 ... that's 28 years.? Year after year the demand for gasoline goes up ... and no new refineries built.? Who to blame?? Talk to your local environmental activist.? The real truth is even worse.? In 1980 there were 300 refineries in the US.? Today there are less than half that.? This makes it tough to meet demand.? When supply can't meet demand guess what happens?? Oh, I forgot.? You went to a government school.? Well ... when demand exceeds supply prices go up. The increased prices help the suppliers to spend more to meet the demand.? The problem in this case is that the anti-capitalistic environmental types get in the way.

Then we have the special blends.? Another legacy to the environmentalists.? We have increased demand, reduced supply, reduced reserves, and here come the environmentalist-mandated special blends.? These oil refineries have to shut down at this critical time of the year and change their refining processes in order to start cranking out the dozen or so special blends that are required in different parts of the country.? This further interferes with the supply and demand scenario.?? Denver requires a special blend.? Let's say that supplies of gas in Denver reach the critical point, and prices soar.? Other Midwest cities might have a surplus --- but they can't ship any of their excess to Denver.? Wrong blend.? The environmentalists wouldn't like it.

But hey ... I know it's so much easier for you to just blame George Bush, right?? If something goes wrong in your life -- like having to pay a bit more (though not a record) for gasoline -- then it must be the president's fault.? Yeah ... life is really that simple.

Reuters covers pretty much the same ground as CNN --

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/123831|top|03-23-2004::10:45|reuters.html

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order