Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election.
    #24611075 - 09/07/17 08:53 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Facebook admitted that it sold ads to a Russian "troll farm" that pushes pro-Kremlin propaganda during the election. But it's not their fault apparently. Judge for yourself.

Quote:

WASHINGTON – Representatives of Facebook told congressional investigators Wednesday that it has discovered it sold ads during the U.S. presidential election to a shadowy Russian company seeking to target voters, according to several people familiar with the company’s findings.

Facebook officials reported that they traced the ad sales, totaling $100,000, to a Russian “troll farm” with a history of pushing pro-Kremlin propaganda, these people said.

A small portion of the ads, which began in the summer of 2015, directly named Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, the people said, though they declined to say which candidate the ads favored.

Most of the ads, according to a blog post published late Wednesday by Facebook’s chief security officer, Alex Stamos, “appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum – touching on topics from LGBT matters to race issues to immigration to gun rights.”

The acknowledgment by Facebook comes as congressional investigators and special counsel Robert Mueller are probing Russian interference in the U.S. election, including allegations that the Kremlin may have coordinated with the Trump campaign.

The U.S. intelligence community concluded in January that Russia had interfered in the U.S. election to help elect Trump, including by using paid social media trolls to spread fake news intended to influence public opinion.

Even though the ad spending from Russia is tiny relative to overall campaign costs, the report from Facebook that a Russian firm was able to target political messages is likely to fuel pointed questions from investigators about whether the Russians received guidance from people in the United States – a question some Democrats have been asking for months.

Facebook reported in its blog post Wednesday that about one-quarter of the ads in question were “geographically targeted,” though company officials declined to provide specifics about what areas or demographic groups were the recipients. Of those targeted ads, the company said, more ran in 2015 than 2016.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said Wednesday that the disclosure by Facebook confirmed one of the ways Russia sought to interfere in U.S. politics and serves as a “profound warning to us and others about future elections.”

“This is a very significant set of data points produced by Facebook,” Schiff said, adding: “Left unanswered in what we received from Facebook – because it is beyond the scope of what they are able to determine – is whether there was any coordination between these social media trolls and the campaign. We have to get to the bottom of that . . . ”

An official familiar with Facebook’s internal investigation said the company does not have the ability to determine whether the ads it sold represented any sort of coordination.

The acknowledgment by Facebook follows months of criticism that the social media company served as a platform for the spread of false information before the November election. In a statement posted days after the election, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg promised to explore the issue but said that 99 percent of information found on Facebook is authentic and only “a very small amount” is fake or hoaxes. In December, however, the company announced that it would begin flagging articles that had been deemed false or fake, with the assistance of fact-checking organizations.

Facebook discovered the Russian connection as part of an investigation that began this spring looking at purchasers of politically motivated ads, according to people familiar with the inquiry. It found that 3,300 ads had digital footprints that led to the Russian company.

Facebook teams then discovered 470 suspicious and likely fraudulent Facebook accounts and pages that it believes operated out of Russia, had links to the company and were involved in promoting the ads.

A Facebook official said “there is evidence that some of the accounts are linked to a troll farm in St. Petersburg, referred to as the Internet Research Agency, though we have no way to independently confirm.” The official declined to release any of the ads it traced to Russian companies or entities.

“Our data policy and federal law limit our ability to share user data and content, so we won’t be releasing any ads,” the official said. The official added that the ads “were directed at people on Facebook who had expressed interest in subjects explored on those pages, such as LGBT community, black social issues, the Second Amendment, and immigration.”

Clint Watts, a former FBI agent who has studied Russian online influence campaigns, said Wednesday that Facebook’s report served as “validation” for findings by him and his researchers, who he said had spotted what they believed to be Russians posing as Americans to press political messages on Facebook as early as 2015.

He said his analysis showed that Facebook ads in 2015 were largely concerned with divisive social messages and were used to identify other Facebook users most susceptible to messaging. Those users were then targeted with election-oriented ads in 2016, he said.

“We had these suspicions, but we could never see who was purchasing the accounts,” said Watts, a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. “Facebook’s being brave. They probably could have buried this, and they did the right thing by coming forward.”

Earlier this year, Facebook announced technology improvements to detect fake accounts and more recently announced it would no longer allow Facebook pages to advertise if they have a pattern of sharing false news stories. Over the past few months, Stamos said, the company has also taken action to block fake accounts tied to election meddling in France and Germany.

So...

What's your take on this one?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Patlal] * 5
    #24611126 - 09/07/17 09:32 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the Russians hacked the election and my Facebook account, that's why I voted for Trump.

I'm a victim of Russian propaganda, why didn't the Obama Administration protect from me this mind control?  I seek monetary restitution.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: qman]
    #24611146 - 09/07/17 09:39 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

You can't sue the government for failing to protect you.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Enlil]
    #24611197 - 09/07/17 10:04 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

Is that covered under sovereign immunity? When can you( private citizen) sue the government? Doesnt the above remove liability?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #24611232 - 09/07/17 10:25 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

I don't want to go to court, just a check in the mail. :cookiemonster:

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Patlal]
    #24611264 - 09/07/17 10:43 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Facebook admitted that it sold ads to a Russian "troll farm" that pushes pro-Kremlin propaganda during the election. But it's not their fault apparently.

So...

You forgot the link showing this was from the Washington Post, the leading paper that's been putting out one misleading story after another about Russia, all of which have turned out to be nothing burgers.

Notice how their article puts "troll farm" in quotes, meaning that's not what it actually was, but it's what the Post wants you to believe.

Notice there weren't any examples of the ads in the article, meaning the ads weren't as juicy as they'd lead you to believe.

Notice the only real 'problem' with these ads is that they came from Russia, which is allowed to place ads on Facebook.

I'll bet my signature this another nothing burger (see kooods' current sig).  Any takers?

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: qman]
    #24611277 - 09/07/17 10:48 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Well, the Russians hacked the election and my Facebook account, that's why I voted for Trump.

I'm a victim of Russian propaganda, why didn't the Obama Administration protect from me this mind control?  I seek monetary restitution.

The Russians directly hacked you brain. They were controlling your every movement. You were gonna vote for Clinton but then you voted Trump aand they replaced your memories to make you believe you were a Trump supporter from the start.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Patlal]
    #24611285 - 09/07/17 10:50 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

qman said:

I'm a victim of Russian propaganda

The Russians directly hacked you brain. They were controlling your every movement. You were gonna vote for Clinton but then you voted Trump aand they replaced your memories to make you believe you were a Trump supporter from the start.

That's pretty much what he said.  :wink:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

Loc: the right coast
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24611658 - 09/07/17 01:54 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

You forgot the link showing this was from the Washington Post, the leading paper that's been putting out one misleading story after another about Russia, all of which have turned out to be nothing burgers.

Notice how their article puts "troll farm" in quotes, meaning that's not what it actually was, but it's what the Post wants you to believe.

Notice there weren't any examples of the ads in the article, meaning the ads weren't as juicy as they'd lead you to believe.

Notice the only real 'problem' with these ads is that they came from Russia, which is allowed to place ads on Facebook.

I'll bet my signature this another nothing burger (see kooods' current sig).  Any takers?

looks like troll farm is in quotes one time because that's what FB called it.  looks like a quote to me.

this was just a article about the findings of a FB investigation and wasn't an article that tried to prove that the ads were deceptive.  the lack of examples didn't seem nefarious/deceptive in any way.

seemed pretty straightforward imo.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24611682 - 09/07/17 02:07 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
Facebook admitted that it sold ads to a Russian "troll farm" that pushes pro-Kremlin propaganda during the election. But it's not their fault apparently.

So...

Do you not know what quotes are? In journalism they are specifically used to indicate those words were actually written or said. Not the colloquial usage you seem to believe. Maybe part of your problem with the way you perceive the media is you don't understand the precise way language is used in professional reporting.

Frankly, that you think quotes indicate  "that's not what it actually was" (notice the proper use of quotes) is one of the more embarrassing admissions ive seen from someone who thinks he's a sophisticated consumer of news. I wonder what else you read and get totally wrong.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (09/07/17 02:15 PM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: relic]
    #24611706 - 09/07/17 02:22 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

relic said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

looks like troll farm is in quotes one time because that's what FB called it.  looks like a quote to me.

this was just a article about the findings of a FB investigation and wasn't an article that tried to prove that the ads were deceptive.  the lack of examples didn't seem nefarious/deceptive in any way.

seemed pretty straightforward imo.

Glad you picked up on that too.
I notice Fal sees agendas and motivations in totally straighfotward reporting all the time. Real journalism like they do at the post is mostly rote reporting on facts as they become available. One reason the post does so much reporting on the Russia story is because they are who sources provide info to.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: SirTripAlot] * 1
    #24611708 - 09/07/17 02:24 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
When can you( private citizen) sue the government?

When the government gives you permission to sue it.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #24611727 - 09/07/17 02:35 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

qman said:

I'm a victim of Russian propaganda

That's pretty much what he said.  :wink:

It's pretty amusing to see folks, who have been saying for months that the media is manipulating the minds of Americans into believing a fake Russian collision story, deny that Americans could ever be swayed into changing their vote by fake news stories.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Russia did during the election. [Re: koods]
    #24611856 - 09/07/17 03:31 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

title of thread updated to accurately represent the information presented

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #24611871 - 09/07/17 03:38 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Patlal said:

So...

yes, but...it's hilarious to make fun of. WaPo is in full propaganda mode and koods...oh look, there he is now! :lol: ears a' burning!

Quote:

koods said:

hey now, you're a rock star.

Quote:

koods said:
Glad you picked up on that too.
I notice Fal sees agendas and motivations in totally straighfotward reporting all the time. Real journalism like they do at the post is mostly rote reporting on facts as they become available. One reason the post does so much reporting on the Russia story is because they are who sources provide info to.

they are a clickbait farm and feed off the gullibility of the weak-minded. you say Fal is gullible, well, i can assure you, there are more gullible people than Fal, and lots more of them, as well.

Quote:

looks like troll farm is in quotes one time because that's what FB called it.

so? FB is the asshole here, not WaPo; WaPo are just doing the normal idiocy they always do...nothing to see there, that isn't already plainly obvious.

Quote:

deny that Americans could ever be swayed into changing their vote by fake news stories.

who the fuck does that? :lol: 4chan basically helped swing the election...

4chan & Youtube. :lmafo:

time to crack down on freedom of the press!

Edited by akira_akuma (09/07/17 03:45 PM)

OfflinePatlal
Male User Gallery

Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Russia did during the election. [Re: koods]
    #24611886 - 09/07/17 03:45 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:

That's right. Take away the misinformation... You're no fun...

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: koods]
    #24611889 - 09/07/17 03:47 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

Do you not know what quotes are? In journalism they are specifically used to indicate those words were actually written or said. Not the colloquial usage you seem to believe. Maybe part of your problem with the way you perceive the media is you don't understand the precise way language is used in professional reporting.

Frankly, that you think quotes indicate  "that's not what it actually was" (notice the proper use of quotes) is one of the more embarrassing admissions ive seen from someone who thinks he's a sophisticated consumer of news. I wonder what else you read and get totally wrong.

The Washington Post has burned you time and time again, and you still trust them?  How do you know Facebook used the term "Troll Farm"?  I read Facebook's release and didn't see it there.  :shrug:

If fact, the Facebook release wasn't anywhere near as damning as the Washington Post made it sound.  Here's a few excerpts:

- "Our analysis suggests these accounts and Pages were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia."
- "The vast majority of ads run by these accounts didn’t specifically reference the US presidential election, voting or a particular candidate."

Are you up for the signature bet?  If it shown that the Russian Government meddled with the election through Facebook ads, you can take down your signature, and I'll put up the same for the rest of the year.  If not, you extend your signature by 3 months into next year.  :smirk:

--------------------

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

Loc: the right coast
    #24611997 - 09/07/17 04:35 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

i know you didn't ask me, but i got the troll farm quote from the article.

Quote:

A Facebook official said “there is evidence that some of the accounts are linked to a troll farm in St. Petersburg, referred to as the Internet Research Agency, though we have no way to independently confirm.”

i don't really care either way, though.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Well, well, well... Look at what Facebook did during the election. [Re: relic] * 1
    #24612002 - 09/07/17 04:36 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

we have to get ICANN to deplatform those troll farms, the memes are too great!

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24613768 - 09/08/17 01:13 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
"I'll bet my signature this another nothing burger.  Any takers?

If it shown that the Russian Government meddled with the election through Facebook ads... (I lose)."

What no takers?  Everyone here now realizes that Russia Gate is just a giant nothing burger?  :confused:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals