Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethrem
Stranger
Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons
    #2461095 - 03/22/04 07:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I found a few of these , They were growin in the edges of some pine needles and moss/grass.

Edited by threm (03/22/04 07:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons [Re: threm]
    #2461157 - 03/22/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

uh.. looks like a mushroom.. read the rules.

Offlinethrem
Stranger
Re: Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons [Re: Rebirtha]
    #2461180 - 03/22/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

what ever no need to be a dick. I had seen pictures of these being labeld as hallucinagenic *spelling* so I asked here. I found some out side..and in some guides I found things that looked sort of like these but not exactly and well I m not about to take a chance. I dont see what rule I broke, I skimmed over the post about rules and dont see any I broke.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2461229 - 03/22/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

He's saying that you need to read the rules in asking for an ID.

We need more information. Just from a picture, it is extremely hard to ID a mushroom. Not to mention that those two pictures contain different species.

Right now, I could tell you that both of them are NOT hallucinogenic, and most likely, not edible.

We need information like the exact habitat, your location, a spore print, and the structure of the gills, the color of the gills, and any other information about the mushroom that would help aid us in IDing it.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons [Re: angryshroom]
    #2461295 - 03/22/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wasn't being a dick. They said please when they asked you to read the rules in the first place... Here is the second rule:

II. Accurate mushroom descriptions

It is critical that you describe mushrooms fully and accurately in order to get a proper identification.

A good picture of the mushrooms is invaluable.

Along with the pictures (if possible), please include the following:

a. Habitat (where [state/province/country] and what does it grow on)
b. Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc)
c. Measurements of cap and stem.
d. Characteristics of the stem (color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc)
e. Characteristics of the cap (color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc)
f. Spore print color (very important!)
g. Color that the mushroom bruises
h. Scent of mushroom

but yeah angryshroom explained that.. you just have to understand how many people do what you did, it gets frustrating over time. So sorry if I came of dickish.. continute hunting :smile:

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2461303 - 03/22/04 08:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Those look like a some type of Amanita do not eat, do a spore print, look around the site for a while, get some books and spend some time with them before you even go out hunting, The people here are not trying to be dicks they are trying to stop you from killing yourself. It is obvious that those are not even remotely similar to anything "Magicl" this means you are very new to the hobby, Their is more experience here then most any place else in the world in dealing with mushrooms of the magical type, so leave the your ego at the door and you will be privy to a great world of knowledge.

Offlinethrem
Stranger
Re: Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons [Re: hawk]
    #2461796 - 03/22/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes I know now that those were 1. growing in the wrong place *under a pine tree * 2. arnt EQ's *what i confused them with, EQ's have a much cleaner cap* 3. that the spots Iv been told to try were dry of anything that iv succeded in IDing. I found some pretty common LBMs That had potentional *to a newby as my self* But ur guides helped me seperate them into just common LBMs. I do have a question *and i saw a rule kinda like this but im not asking specificly* Is there a place to figure out state by state *WA in my case* what is most commongly found..i think im in the clear b/c im not ASKING anyone here to asnwer me with "this and this species" but a place that would tell me the regions/states of certain strains?

OfflineShroomInhaler
No, I don'tsmoke them! :P

#2462063 - 03/23/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Try here. It's better than nuthin.
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23483

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2462523 - 03/23/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Those are definitely Amanitas. Since Amanitas are responsible for about 95% of all deaths due to mushroom poisoning, DO NOT EAT. Not that I think you will, but better safe than sorry with those.

If you want an ID to species we'll need a lot more details. Based on your later post, I'm guessing you know those aren't active and aren't particularly interested in inactive species.

Keep looking and learning about what you're finding. The best way to learn is to go out and find mushrooms and study them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2467838 - 03/24/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

threm said:
Yes I know now that those were 1. growing in the wrong place *under a pine tree *

ok, theres one thing youre right about

Quote:

2. arnt EQ's *what i confused them with, EQ's have a much cleaner cap*

you will never find "EQs" as they are not a speceis of mushroom but rather a cultivated srain of psilocybe cubensis and do no occur as such in the wild anywhere in existance. this indicates you probably have alot of dangerous misinformation that you reguard as facts.
the speceis that would indicate the strain you think youre looking for does not exist in your state or even region.
and it has NO characterisics simmilar to the mushroom you found. stipe, fills, color, print, pellicle, volva, all wrong. do lots of reading, nobody here can help you if you think you know anything at this point. because you don't. youre really just walking around picking random mushrooms and trying o convince yourself they look like pictures of hallucinogenic mushrooms.... one of the leading causes of poisonings. at least you posted a pic before putting your research to the test. but you're going to have to respect the advice of the old timers here or dont bother posting.

Quote:

3. that the spots Iv been told to try were dry of anything that iv succeded in IDing. I found some pretty common LBMs That had potentional *to a newby as my self* But ur guides helped me seperate them into just common LBMs. I do have a question *and i saw a rule kinda like this but im not asking specificly* Is there a place to figure out state by state *WA in my case* what is most commongly found..i think im in the clear b/c im not ASKING anyone here to asnwer me with "this and this species" but a place that would tell me the regions/states of certain strains?

read the FAQ, all of it, skimming over will find you nothing but fragmented information that you will throw together to fabricate a big erroneus base of info for yourself.

the mushroom you picked is most likely toxic

first perhaps you should establish what speceis grow in your area, and then figure out what time of year they grow, under what conditions, and then learn about some look-alikes.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Just found, not sure, wanting others opinons [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2472514 - 03/25/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The original Ecuadorian mushrooms are Psilocybe subcubensis, not psilocybe cubensis. Of the more than two dozen deposited collections of (What were assumed to be P. cubensis shrooms in herbariums in Ecuador and Mexico), all were identified as Psilocybe subcubensis.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2472522 - 03/25/04 11:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Threm says
Quote:

I had seen pictures of these being labeld as hallucinagenic

I really doubnt that you had seen those imagges you posted in field guides listing them as hallucinogenic, especially since they are not.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification