Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Green mold in small room.... advice needed
    #24603755 - 09/04/17 07:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Guys,

Massive thanks for getting me this far as could not have done it without the help but sadly my first bulk grow has been taken out by trich. I had hoped to cut out the affected area and MAYBE get a first flush but to be honest I think it is a pointless cause so asking some advice before I toss it out (too cold to even bother trying to put it outside)

Freshly cut out last night

Some things I feel I did wrong:
  • Spawn possible not clean
  • Substrate too wet for most of its life.... I am still learning when not and when to mist. 
  • Moving house and my full setup twice during the grow... lots of trying to transport things between house and transporting all my gear was a PITA! 
  • Moved into a house that is damp and showing signs of mold in all room... To top it off I am also in the cold basement and had to build a small heated room just got get to 20c!
  • No gypsum used in the sub (only thing not followed in the bucket tek). I dropped it as at the time all the shops were shut and looking at many of the pros grow logs they dont bother. Seems that being a noob I should have added it in to keep my ph in check

12 hours on ... just stating to green up.... so sad

Now While I accept it was most likely dirty spawn is there anything I can do to save this grow from being a total flop? I don't NEED to harvest any thing off it as it looks like it is JUST about to really go full green and my gut feeling is to get it out of my grow room rather than spreading it to EVERYTHING else.

At the very least I could clone some of the better fruit so that I am at least not working from a MS culture? Is cloning likely to bring trich along with it?

my little grow space. Insulated, foil lined with fluro on 12/12 timer and single TiT to keep the whole room at 20-22c. Sadly I can not make a bigger space and feel that the amount of insulation and the almost air tight structure of my room is also a big factor. Do i need to build a small fresh air fan intake to keep pumping fresh air in. To do this I will have to lift the amount of heating in the room but this wont be too hard.

Is it worth scrapping any other subs that I have in unmodified tubs (lids of the tubs cracked for FAE) as I cant help but feel that the mold would have spread in my small room as it has a PC fan to keep the temps even and air moving around.... What about jars in bins below that have filters, should I worry that these could have been infected as well or just a good external bleach cleaning before opening to spawn should be ok?

While I am gutted to see the evil green, just as excited to see the pins and also the fact the second round of tubs I did are looking like they will have a much better pinset!

Thanks for the tips
C.Muncher

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green mold in small room.... advice needed [Re: capmuncher]
    #24603765 - 09/04/17 07:41 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

you cant use those chambers for mycology. you will fail bigtime. mushrooms need air. they can not be closed up like that.

Invisiblehamloaf
7, 8, 11, 13!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 42. Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green mold in small room.... advice needed [Re: mushboy]
    #24603778 - 09/04/17 07:46 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, air tight is no good.  You'll need to install air movement devices, and ducting in order to get that to work as a fruiting chamber.  As far as cutting out mold chunks from infected substrates, all that effectively does is spread the infection.  Once a mold bloom has broken out in an area, all cultures should be removed, and the area deep cleaned, or the contamination will spread to future generations, and increase in intensity.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

Re: Green mold in small room.... advice needed [Re: hamloaf]
    #24603891 - 09/04/17 08:19 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
you cant use those chambers for mycology. you will fail bigtime. mushrooms need air. they can not be closed up like that.

Totally get they need air but the big issue for me is that currently I am stuck in the space I have. Our house is uninsulated and without heating so I am lucky if our house gets to 14c this time of year. The cost to heat the smallest room in our house 24/7 would be too painful to get approved by the boss of the house :frown: I have done a lot of hunting for solutions using the search but not much out there for small grow room heating... If i can get it to work I promise to make a tek :smile:

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Yea, air tight is no good.  You'll need to install air movement devices, and ducting in order to get that to work as a fruiting chamber.  As far as cutting out mold chunks from infected substrates, all that effectively does is spread the infection.  Once a mold bloom has broken out in an area, all cultures should be removed, and the area deep cleaned, or the contamination will spread to future generations, and increase in intensity.

I have a small fan inside the room to keep it mixed and open it up 2-3 times a day to check it but as you both have mentioned I need more FAE. I have wondered if this was going to be an issue and had started designing a small PTC based air intake system. Prefilter --> vac cleaner HEPA--> fan --> PTC heater and then a small thermocouple and arduino to heat the incoming fresh air up to 20c. Bit complicated but was already considering it to get rid of the standing water in the Tit.

I will pull the sub that is showing mold and put it outside but is it worth trying to take a clone from one of the pins or time to just admit defeat and start planning a grain jar making session asap?

Do i need to toss out other tubs that are still napped shut? What about the jars in side closed tubs below?

This aftenoon when I am done work I will get into that room with some bleech and give it an epic clean as well as taking any advice as what to keep and what to scrap.

Fingers crossed with my changes I can get the LGT you sent me Hamloaf to fruit!

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

#24607654 - 09/06/17 04:26 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

little bit of a bump as still keen to know if it is worth cloning any of the fruit from this grow or just cut my losses.

I have moved it to an other part of my house in the hopes to get a reply in time and surprised how slowly the green is moving....

My other big question is as I am stuck in this room and will have to add ventilation could any one suggest how many air exchanges per hour I should aim for as going to go buy a fan tomorrow if I can get the spec i need.

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

#24611750 - 09/07/17 04:48 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Seems I'm talking to myself at the moment but it would not be the first time.... Guessing people are reluctant to help as I am not really following the common methods but as I have mention a few times I CAN NOT setup bins in a room due to my new house being as cold inside as out (14-16c on a warm day). Trust me come summer I will move them into my bedroom but until warmer weather rolls around this is the only option I have so help would be very much appreciated.

Hooked up two air pumps to keep fresh air being pumped into my grow box as I had a few sitting around. They pump around 750L of air an hour which should give me more FAE as that is around twice the internal volume of my room. I also have a small fan inside to make sure the fresh air is mixed up and not just sitting still. 

Last night / This morning / LGT trays that just won't pin

I have also made a point to keep on top of misting and now seeing good pinset on my second round of AA+ trays. My LGT however refuses to pin up.... Fingers crossed the extra air might kick things off as they have been misted and dryed in the same cycles as the AA+ tray that seem to be doing well.

I have given up the idea of trying to clone from my infected tub as it seem by next round of trays will be much better and less likely to have the evil green mold. I however did move the other Tit with the affected tray to a friend as it looks like it will produce a small dose or two... that and its my first grow in a 10+ years so wanted to see how far it would go before the green took over.

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

#24612751 - 09/08/17 01:21 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

well had my air pumps running all afternoon and quite happy with the results so far but not sure if it was the fresh air or just that tray doing what it always was going to... My only issue now is that the sound proof box i used to keep the hum of my pumps down has trapped a bit of heat (40c inside the soundproof box) but this is also helping heat my growroom. Fingers crossed I don't set anything on fire! I will run them a full 15 hours solid tomorrow when I can keep an eye on them as I am worried the internal temp of the pump box will keep climbing.

The other good news is that I have not seen any more green mold show up either, touch wood!

Offlinesuperbarnie
Stranger

#24612838 - 09/08/17 02:29 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

Hello, can you describe the deep cleaning procedure for me? I got a ton of green mold this spring, and didn't really do much to clean the area except running a HEPA filter in the room.

Invisiblehamloaf
7, 8, 11, 13!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Green mold in small room.... advice needed [Re: superbarnie]
    #24613077 - 09/08/17 08:13 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, superbarne.  All that needs to be done is to remove all cultures, and thoroughly wipe all surfaces, and walls + ceiling with any old household disinfectant.  You could wait until between fruiting cycles before performing a deep clean, but the room must be cleaned before introducing fresh cultures into it.  All I use is dawn dish soap in water.  It's a real easy process. Cleanliness, and maintaining cleanliness is what separates the men from the boys in this hobby.

--------------------

Offlinesuperbarnie
Stranger

#24613508 - 09/08/17 01:23 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I see. Thank you for the helpful information.

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

#24613719 - 09/08/17 02:55 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Hi, superbarne.  All that needs to be done is to remove all cultures, and thoroughly wipe all surfaces, and walls + ceiling with any old household disinfectant.  You could wait until between fruiting cycles before performing a deep clean, but the room must be cleaned before introducing fresh cultures into it.  All I use is dawn dish soap in water.  It's a real easy process. Cleanliness, and maintaining cleanliness is what separates the men from the boys in this hobby.

I pulled out all my boxes and gave them a light bleach water wipe down as well as the inside surfaces of my grow room. Do I need to toss out all of my jars and minimonos that were shut before putting into my room and not opened since?

Invisiblehamloaf
7, 8, 11, 13!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24613732 - 09/08/17 02:59 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, capmuncher.  Man, that's a decision you are going to have to make.  It may work out, or it may not.  If it were me, my logic would be why risk it, and all cultures exposed to the breakout would be disposed of.

--------------------

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist

#24618634 - 09/10/17 05:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Hey, capmuncher.  Man, that's a decision you are going to have to make.  It may work out, or it may not.  If it were me, my logic would be why risk it, and all cultures exposed to the breakout would be disposed of.

going to give it a punt as all of that room is within a few day of each other that I may as well start over clean from agar and let the currnt batch of bins finish out. I will keep any new cultures in an other part of the house until I can do a second full clean down.

Had a good read over your greenhouse thread Hamloaf and going to setup the same sort of system to replace my air pump with a fan. Should the intake fan be at the to of the green house and the exhaust be at the bottom?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation