Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefrock
PF tek help? Jars possibly to dry? general help? "long"
    #2460035 - 03/22/04 01:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My first time around I tried mycobags. 14 days later bacteria contamination. Im suspecting bad syringe as the culpret but I guess you could never be sure. I never even managed to get any mycelium growing. Syringe was purchased from Sporworks. Bags were tossed due to their fermenting nature. Mycobag has been very kind and told me they will replace two of them. Thank you Mycobag.

Well, I just started my PF jars. I ordered 4 syringes from Sporeworks thinking that the chances of getting a bad syringe twice in a row is not that high. B+ strain. I followed the tek exactly. 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup brw, and 1/2 cup verm. I went out and bought a pressure cooker figuring this would eliminate any contam problems. Tek was followed exactly. Made 2 sets of 7 jars in the PC at once. I only mixed for 2 jars at a time so that the water would be more evenly distributed. Jars were left in a clean box to cool and inoculated them about 36 hours later as I was waiting for my syringes to come.

12 jars were 1/2 pint wide mouth and 2 were regular pint jars from jelly or something that I had laying around. Anyways, today is day 6. Yes I know it is still early but I figured germination should have started at least in some of them if not all. On day 5 "yesterday" I looked at my jars for the first time. Nothing to see on any of them. Put them away and looked today again on day 6 and nothing.

My apartment stays at 80-85 degrees so I dont have a need for any heating device for incubation besides a cleaned box stored in a closet. I keep it this hot due to my iguana, as he is like my cat and likes it nice and warm around the place.

Thinking my substrate might be too dry I took out one of the jars, opened it, and popped out my cake. It doesnt seem moist at all really. It just seems slightly sticky, now its not completely dried out but it does seem somewhat dry. I then proceded to open the middle of the cake up to take a look, and although it seems slightly more sticky and moist, it still seems to dry.

Now since Im new I dont really know what "too dry" really is. What should the consistancy of an uncolonized cake be. Ive heard its better to be to dry than to wet so its probably fine.

Also, the Vermiculite I purchased is of a finer grade. Didnt realize this when I bought it online. could this be the problem. I didnt pack in the substrate at all but left it as loose as possible. I have heard that the finer grade works so I didnt think it would be a problem.

Do you think it is possible that my syringes are Duds? I used two syringes on 14 jars. Each one had a few drops left in it after they were used. I made sure to be extra sterile during everything too.

The next day after inoculation I made some honey water in a jar, let it completely cool, and then sucked up some into both of the used syringes seeing as there had to be a least some spores left in the few drops. Even the syringes have not done anything and look the same. There seemed to be plenty of spores in all syringes this time around as my first syringe from Sporeworks seemed very light. This time there was definately lots of spores in there.

I also have 20 filter bags I purchased from mycobag before that I can fool around with. I have some WBS I purchased and Im thinking about making a bag up and seeing if I can get it to germinate in there, as I still have 2 unused syringes left.

Im not sure what Im looking for but some general advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Maybe just some reasurrance not to give up and that eventually this will work out.

Has anyone purchased B+ from Sporeworks recently? Are you having any germination problems.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF tek help? Jars possibly to dry? general help? "long" [Re: frock]
    #2460163 - 03/22/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1.Now since Im new I dont really know what "too dry" really is. What should the consistancy of an uncolonized cake be. Ive heard its better to be to dry than to wet so its probably fine. Actually it sounds pretty normal. Mine are useally like that when I did the tek, as long as they feel moist. Flour always feels sticky and clumpy.

2. Also, the Vermiculite I purchased is of a finer grade. Didnt realize this when I bought it online. could this be the problem. I didnt pack in the substrate at all but left it as loose as possible. I have heard that the finer grade works so I didnt think it would be a problem. It shouldn't stop germanation or slow it down now that I think about it. What it will do is slow down the time it takes to finish.
3. Do you think it is possible that my syringes are Duds? I used two syringes on 14 jars. Each one had a few drops left in it after they were used. I made sure to be extra sterile during everything too. 1Maby, 2 not much of a chance, but that many syringes bad, no I dought it.

4. The next day after inoculation I made some honey water in a jar, let it completely cool, and then sucked up some into both of the used syringes seeing as there had to be a least some spores left in the few drops. Even the syringes have not done anything and look the same. There seemed to be plenty of spores in all syringes this time around as my first syringe from Sporeworks seemed very light. This time there was definately lots of spores in there. No biggy they should be in the cakes.

5. I also have 20 filter bags I purchased from mycobag before that I can fool around with. I have some WBS I purchased and Im thinking about making a bag up and seeing if I can get it to germinate in there, as I still have 2 unused syringes left. That should tell you about the syringes as grains seem to colonize much better the flours or powders do.

6. Don't give up it will come around.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinefrock
Re: PF tek help? Jars possibly to dry? general help? "long" [Re: Magash]
    #2460222 - 03/22/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Magash! just hearing all of that makes me feel better. Im not sure what I would do without a place for advice.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment as Ive gone over everything in my head, is that I used a candle for flame steralization. Are there any fumes that candles give off that could cause a problem? I always wiped the needle with alcohol afterwords.

Im gonna go ahead and use a make shift alcohol lamp from now on. I will also start soaking some WBS, and PC a bag of it tomorow and see if I can get some germination from it. Only time will tell I guess.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF tek help? Jars possibly to dry? general help? "long" [Re: frock]
    #2460230 - 03/22/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't think the candle would be a big deal.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation