Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery
ex-aide has it all wrong
    #2459857 - 03/22/04 12:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

By Sue Pleming
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Monday former U.S. anti-terrorism czar Richard Clarke had "no idea" what he was talking about when he accused the Bush administration of focusing on Iraq after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

National security adviser Condoleezza Rice made the rounds of morning news shows on Monday to answer Clarke, who also said in a new book that the White House ignored security threats prior to the hijacked airliner attacks. Clarke quit his White House job a year ago; he had served in four administrations.

"Dick Clarke just does not know what he is talking about. He wasn't involved in most of the meetings of the administration," Rice told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Rice strongly took issue with Clarke's claim that Bush focused on Iraq after the Sept. 11 attacks rather than on the Islamic militant group al Qaeda, which is blamed for the attacks in New York and on the Pentagon that killed some 3,000 people.

"I can tell you that when we got to Camp David, it was a map of Afghanistan that was unrolled on the table," Rice told NBC, referring to the president's retreat in Maryland where he gathered with top aides after the attacks to plan the ensuing retaliatory attack on Afghanistan, the al Qaeda base.

She did not recall Bush pulling Clarke aside the day after the attacks and asking him to look at Iraqi involvement but said the meeting could have taken place.

Clarke said the president told him on Sept. 12, in a "very intimidating way," to look at Iraq's involvement.

"He wanted us to come back with the word that there was an Iraqi hand behind 9/11 because they had been planning to do something about Iraq from before the time they came into office," Clarke told ABC.

Clarke's bombshell accusations were first aired in a CBS "60 Minutes" interview on Sunday and outlined in his book, "Against All Enemies," which is being released this week. He is the second former top administration official, after Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill's recent book, to assert that Iraq was an overriding priority for the Bush White House from the time it took office.

Clarke is one of several former Clinton administration officials scheduled to testify on Tuesday and on Wednesday before the independent commission investigating the 2001 attacks. He held a top counter-terrorism job in the Clinton White House, and served former President George Bush as well.

On Monday, Clarke said the president made the war on terrorism worse by invading Iraq last March and said U.S. soldiers had the impression they were going to war to avenge the Sept. 11 attacks.
"Not that they (U.S. solders) died in vain. They died for the president's own agenda which had nothing do with war on terrorism."

Clarke, who called himself an independent, headed a cybersecurity board before resigning from the Bush White House in February 2003.

"I've done 30 years in the government. I've done my public service. Now I want to get the facts out," he told ABC.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery
Re: ex-aide has it all wrong [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2459861 - 03/22/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Clarke said the president told him on Sept. 12, in a "very intimidating way," to look at Iraq's involvement

Is that even possible, for bush to be intimidating??

Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #2459864 - 03/22/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, if Condi says so, that's good enough for me. :rolleyes:
I don't know if I belive the guy 100 percent, but there has to be some truth to it.

Edited by Gijith (03/22/04 12:34 PM)

Invisiblesir tripsalot
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

#2459885 - 03/22/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I watched Good Morning AMerica this morning and saw this interview with both Richard Clarke and Chandalier Rice. He was concise and to the point delfecting all the accusations made by the administration. THey accuse him of wanting to be part of Kerry's Whitehouse, he says he is out of government for good no matter what occurs in the election. Also, either Chandalier Rice has Parkinsons or she looked very nervous this morning, her answers seemed quite broad and she even said something along the lines of not remebering if a meeting occurred on September 12. Richard Clarke claims he has several wintensses on some of these accounts. I Hope more people come forward and say what they know.

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

(hard) member
    #2459937 - 03/22/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Woo hoo, the White House is rolling out its damage-control and whitewash apparatus. Big surprise there.

Ah yes, Condi Rice, the woman who refuses to brief the 9/11 Commission but has plenty of time to address a Rupert Murdoch convention via satellite.
( http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/index.mhtml?bid=1&pid=1328 )

A National Security Advisor who refuses to testify before the commission investigating the worst national security failure in our nation's history: yeah, uh huh. Only in the bizarre parallel universe known as the Bush administration would something like that be tolerated.

Let me put it this way: Richard Clarke served under Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and W. He was made coordinator of counterterrorism by W. himself. So either Bush and his hacks are lying, or Clarke is lying and Bush is a moron for appointing an untrustworthy liar to what is arguably one of the most important advisory positions relating to national security.

User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2460122 - 03/22/04 02:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

tons of people have corraborated this very accusation and
themselves levied it for years now.

I think it was only hours after 9/11 transpired that rummy
was on the phone with the pentagon trying to tie the attacks
to saddam.

christ, this isn't a very difficult thing to swallow, there's a lot
of DadBush's old henchment in the current cabinet, none of
which has made any effort to disguise their clear desire to
finish what they started in the first gulf war, no matter what.

Echo, great points about Clarke's service record and condi's
blantant disregard for the 9/11 commission. this is sickening.

All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion