Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechuckisnutz
Stranger
Male
Loc: Paia, hawaii
Okuda Semi and Full-Automatic Log inoculation rig
    #24593569 - 08/31/17 05:01 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi,

I'm setting up a business plan for expanding our shiitake production. We have an abundance of free, low-aromatic, thick barked eucalyptus logs from a neighbor who works for a local, friendly tree-clearing company, and we turn away 20x as many suitable as we can use. We are considering moving towards a more automated setup because the biggest expense we have is time and labor, and demand far outstrips our production.

I've experimented around with different inoculation methods for the logs, using spiral dowels with wax and sawdust with plugs, and the sawdust with plugs has been much more successful for our purposes as far as keeping means of production in-house, less contamination, and # of inoculation points per-minute.

Does anyone have any input on the semi or fully automated Okuda inoculation rig?
http://en-shiitake.kinshoku.com/machines/

You can find the Okuda inoculation tools on Field and Forest's website, and as far as I can see, they bridge the log market from manual inoculation, to semi automatic (automatic innoculator and sealer) to fully automatic (drill, inoculate, and seal).

Field and Forest sells the semi-automatic Okuda tool for around $8000 plus shipping. (http://www.fieldforest.net/Okuda-Pegasus-Semi-Automatic-Log-Inoculation-Tool-135mm/productinfo/OSA13/) It looks like it would double or triple the # of innoculations a single person can do per unit time, and would pay itself off in about 2 or 3 weeks if used full-time (40 hrs/ week).

Does anyone have any experience with the semi or fully automatic version?
For a video of the Fully automatic version, feast your eyes on this:
https://youtu.be/QeFfjNdTwgU

I can't find a price for the fully automated version, but I assume it is at least twice as expensive ($20k), but if given an abundance of logs, well-trained labor to tend and pick, and a market yearning for fresh, local product, it seems like a good investment.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with the semi or fully automated setups? Any feedback they can give?

Thanks!

--------------------
Seeking help growing gourmet mushrooms off of abundant local substrates to Maui Hawaii. Mahalo.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Okuda Semi and Full-Automatic Log inoculation rig [Re: chuckisnutz]
    #24594247 - 08/31/17 09:26 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

You're in Hawaii so just buy one direct from japan, or even cheaper, china.  I would guess you could get a full auto thing for 10k or less from china.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinechuckisnutz
Stranger
Male
Re: Okuda Semi and Full-Automatic Log inoculation rig [Re: drake89]
    #24605568 - 09/05/17 01:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt it. There is a shipping monopoly when it comes to the Hawaiian islands. shipping alone would be ~$2k.

--------------------
Seeking help growing gourmet mushrooms off of abundant local substrates to Maui Hawaii. Mahalo.

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

#24605758 - 09/05/17 02:49 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

does not look worth it to me.:ohwell:

--------------------

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #24605774 - 09/05/17 02:58 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chuckisnutz said:
I doubt it. There is a shipping monopoly when it comes to the Hawaiian islands. shipping alone would be ~$2k.

I would bet that unit drop ships from japan. Even if you order from F&F.  Have you been on alibaba?  I know a whole 20ft cargo container from Shanghai to LA is only $2k so 1 pallet should be a 2 or 3 hundred.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinechuckisnutz
Stranger
Male
Re: Okuda Semi and Full-Automatic Log inoculation rig [Re: drake89]
    #24608776 - 09/06/17 03:29 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

That sounds great. Does anyone have any direct experience with the semi-auto (pegasus) or the fully auto?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms