Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job"
    #2459211 - 03/22/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Bush ignored terror threat, claims ex-aide

Julian Borger in Washington
Monday March 22, 2004
The Guardian

George Bush's re-election campaign suffered a stinging blow yesterday when the president's former chief counter-terrorism adviser accused him of doing "a terrible job" in protecting America against attack, largely because of a fixation on Iraq.

Richard Clarke, who retired as the White House counter-terrorism coordinator last year, accused the president of putting pressure on him to find evidence of Iraqi involvement in the September 11 attacks, despite being told repeatedly that there was no link.

"I think he's done a terrible job on the war against terrorism," said Mr Clarke.

"Frankly, I find it outrageous that the president is running for re-election on the grounds that he's done such great things about terrorism. He ignored it. He ignored terrorism for months, when maybe we could have done something to stop 9/11. Maybe. We'll never know."

Mr Clarke made his allegations in an interview last night on a CBS current affairs programme, 60 Minutes, and in greater detail in a book, Against All Enemies, published today. He is also expected to deliver a blistering critique of the administration's performance tomorrow to a bipartisan commission investigating US preparedness for the 2001 attacks.

Mr Clarke's book is the latest in a trickle of unflattering accounts of the Bush White House to emerge from people leaving the administration. It confirms the impression provided by a former treasury secretary, Paul O'Neill, of an ideological clique fixated on Iraq.

White House officials have questioned Mr Clarke's impartiality, pointing out that he served as counter-terrorist "czar" in Bill Clinton's White House, and although he stayed on after Mr Bush's election, he lost his cabinet rank. However, Mr Clarke also served as a state department counter-terrorism adviser under President Reagan and the first President Bush.

A senior Republican senator, Chuck Hagel, yesterday described Mr Clarke as "a serious professional", adding that "the White House is going to have to answer these charges".

Mr Clarke's account comes at a critical moment for the Bush re-election campaign, at a time when it is spending millions of dollars to define the president as a decisive wartime leader, and his Democratic challenger, John Kerry, as a vacillating liberal who is "weak on defence".

One of Mr Clarke's tasks was to chair the administration's counter-terrorism and security group, a panel of CIA, FBI and White House experts that met several times a week to assess foreign threats.

He depicted the Bush White House as being uninterested in the threat from al-Qaida in its first eight months in office, and far more concerned about Iraq. He said his urgent request in January that year for a cabinet-level meeting on the possibility of a terrorist assault was only granted a few days before the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon. At crisis meetings in the White House the day after those attacks, Mr Clarke said he expected to discuss how to strike back at al-Qaida bases in Afghanistan, and was surprised when the defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, quickly shifted the subject to Iraq.

"Rumsfeld was saying that we needed to bomb Iraq," Mr Clarke said in last night's interview. "And we all said ... no, no. Al-Qaida is in Afghanistan. We need to bomb Afghanistan. And Rumsfeld said there aren't any good targets in Afghanistan. And there are lots of good targets in Iraq."

Mr Clarke initially thought that Mr Rumsfeld was joking, but quickly discovered he had the backing of Mr Bush.

"The president dragged me into a room with a couple of other people, shut the door, and said, 'I want you to find whether Iraq did this.' Now he never said, 'Make it up.' But the entire conversation left me in absolutely no doubt that George Bush wanted me to come back with a report that said Iraq did this," he said.

"I said, 'Mr President. We've done this before. We have been looking at this. We looked at it with an open mind. There's no connection ...' He came back at me and said, 'Iraq! Saddam! Find out if there's a connection.' And in a very intimidating way. I mean, that we should come back with that answer." Mr Clarke coordinated the writing of a report by the CIA, FBI, and his own staff, concluding that Iraq had few links with al-Qaida and no involvement in the September 11 attacks. He said: "We sent it up to the president and it got bounced by the national security adviser or deputy. It got bounced and sent back saying, 'Wrong answer ... Do it again.' I have no idea, to this day, if the president saw it, because after we did it again, it came to the same conclusion."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1175070,00.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: Xlea321]
    #2459441 - 03/22/04 05:06 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:yawn:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2459517 - 03/22/04 07:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Great article. Interesting to see some Republicans take this guy seriously. I suppose you think the guy is a liar eh luvvie?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #2459838 - 03/22/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I never believe things like this, regardless of whether or not they are allegations against someone I like or dislike, simply because he wrote a book about it, there's money to be made, and when theres money to be made, you need to be skeptical.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2459863 - 03/22/04 12:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You never believe things if somebody wrote a book and can potentially make some money??

That seems a little bit of an unreliable way of judging evidence to me. I see your point, but to dismiss it out of hand seems a little rash!

Im not saying I 100% believe or disbelieve this guy. But I certainly wouldnt discount his info for the reasons you have given.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: GazzBut]
    #2459870 - 03/22/04 12:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

No, I believe many published things, however when it pertains to slandering politicians, I usually dont buy into it. It could be something slandering Ted Kennedy, one of the people I hate most, and I still would most likely dismiss it. Plus I dont feel that the claims in the case are well substantiated, although I havent read the book, so I cant say for sure.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2460340 - 03/22/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This man has obviously joined Al Quaeda.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: GazzBut]
    #2460817 - 03/22/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Great article. Interesting to see some Republicans take this guy seriously. I suppose you think the guy is a liar eh luvvie?

Not necessarily. It's just that so many former aide's write books slaming the next administration that it's old news.

Tell me.... how many former aide's write books saying the next administration is doing a good job?

It's another dog bites man story.

Frankly... yours was a foolish assumption.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

#2461089 - 03/22/04 07:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

tell me, would you buy a book about happy tale working in the whitehouse?

You are right to question his motives, but this guys worked in the whitehouse for 30 years and I'm sure is well off fiancially. Why throw all that servie away in one fell swoop to slam the last tiny bit of your service? unless it was really bad. He even made some distinguishes between mistakes the Clinton administration made and how they differ from the Bush Administration in his interview on good morning America..

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #2461104 - 03/22/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't buy a book from him or any other former white houser, unless there was something truly amazing story being told. Slamming the administration doesn't qualify.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (03/22/04 07:12 PM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2461435 - 03/22/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Slamming the administration doesn't qualify.

But whistleblowing should.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: Zahid]
    #2461505 - 03/22/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

:thumbup:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: Zahid]
    #2461564 - 03/22/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Slamming the administration doesn't qualify.

Merely making a claim doesn't qualify as whistleblowing. Without at least some evidence it doesn't amount to anything. It doesn't matter who does it.

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2462006 - 03/23/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's just that so many former aide's write books slaming the next administration that it's old news.

That's not old news, Luv. That's called a pattern.

Considering that former aides are the only ones who have had inside access to what's really going on in the White House, what they have to say is worth listening to, even if taken with a pinch of salt. Certainly more worth listening to than any current mouthpiece of an administration seeking re-election.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Ex-aide: "Bush doing terrible job" [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2462407 - 03/23/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Luv is a guy who still requires us to prove Bush was wrong about WMD. Reason doesn't play a part in his views, it's pure faith and devotion to the word of Bush.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2462853 - 03/23/04 04:48 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Still tossing out that same old lie PinochhiAL?

I've asked you several times to back it up. Seems you're not honest enough nor man enough to do so.

Why the need to lie Al? Can't make an honest point? Figure no one will look? were you able to back up that lie I'm sure you would have.

Remember, while the truth will set you free..... it'll also help you to not appear to be a lying jackass.

So, once more PinochhiAL, back up that claim.

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2462954 - 03/23/04 06:24 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, we can clear this up pretty quickly.

Two questions:

Do you think that George W. Bush has ever knowingly lied, or allowed his representatives to lie, to the American people in his capacity as President?

And if so, what exactly do you suspect he was lying about?

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2463067 - 03/23/04 08:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

He hasnt lied Echo he was just conveniently misinformed...

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2463121 - 03/23/04 09:03 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's not just ex-aides either Alex, it's ex-Presidents too now:

Carter savages Blair and Bush: 'Their war was based on lies'
Jimmy Carter, the former US president, has strongly criticised George Bush and Tony Blair for waging an unnecessary war to oust Saddam Hussein based on "lies or misinterpretations". The 2002 Nobel peace prize winner said Mr Blair had allowed his better judgement to be swayed by Mr Bush's desire to finish a war that his father had started.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2463274 - 03/23/04 11:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EchoVortex said:
Do you think that George W. Bush has ever knowingly lied, or allowed his representatives to lie, to the American people in his capacity as President?

It's pretty obvious that he lied when he said this, "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States."

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion