Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Loc: Great Lakes
Cooking Xeruloid mushrooms
    #24590319 - 08/30/17 08:54 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I've been eating wild mushrooms for a few years now, slowly expanded my collection list to include new varieties as I become more confident. I have often come across other mycophages who tell me this mushroom or that mushroom I'm about to try are not worth it..I began to believe I would never find a mushroom that I felt that way about, because I liked them all, once I knew the proper way to prepare them.
Then I decided to try Hymenopellis spp. I'm fairly certain they are furfuracea, but I haven't scoped them or anything.
First I tried frying them..yuck! What an aftertaste.
Then I tried roasting them on a cookie sheet with ramp salt and Italian herbs until crispy for a result that was much like plain pork rinds. And still that weird aftertaste.
So I'm wondering where I'm going wrong with these..I feel doubtful of using them in a soup, due to their rubbery nature, and the aftertaste makes me shy to just dehydrate them and powder them.
I see so many of them out there, especially lately, how do I work with these?

--------------------
Time is mine, minus time.
RIP TP

Great Microscopy Reference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking Xeruloid mushrooms [Re: RiparianRanger]
    #24593281 - 08/31/17 12:33 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Nobody eats these? I guess I can believe that, given my current experiences with them..

--------------------
RIP TP

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#24594911 - 08/31/17 11:49 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I've tried them a couple of times and didn"t like them. The strong flavor though might work some way, but I haven't found it.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking Xeruloid mushrooms [Re: falcon]
    #24594920 - 08/31/17 11:55 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I don't like Ringless Honey Mushrooms either, for me the Ringless Honeys taste much like the Hymenopellis.

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking Xeruloid mushrooms [Re: falcon]
    #24595472 - 09/01/17 09:01 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

falcon said:
I don't like Ringless Honey Mushrooms either, for me the Ringless Honeys taste much like the Hymenopellis.

Haven't tried ringless yet, but I've had the A.mellea and I think another species of the ringed ones and can't say I see what all the hype about them is, outside of how short of a season they have here. Kind of feel the same way about Morchella, but I'm a bit jaded with my HoursSpentHunting:MorelsFound ratio.

--------------------
RIP TP

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#24598323 - 09/02/17 11:47 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

The Black Morels are good when dried and are worth the time spent IMO, the others not so much except as an excuse to stretch your legs in the spring.

InvisibleRiparianRanger
Disparate
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking Xeruloid mushrooms [Re: falcon] * 1
    #24599099 - 09/02/17 07:05 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

We also have the M. americana around here, which are fairly large, if you can find them. We found some small ones this year and left them to grow, someone else found them afterwards. I don't mind the Dryads.

--------------------
RIP TP

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom