Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet
    #2458491 - 03/21/04 10:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The past few days a vast number of thoughts have been running through my head, and i thought that i sohould share this one with you.

In the world today there is a plethora of evidence that the world may be comming to an end within come of our lifetimes. What had been interesting me are peoples perceptions of whats going to happen and how they feel about it.
Now that may be a little difficult to understand so let me give you some examples of some perceptions i have come across.

1) no the world isnt going to end, all of these things have happened before and they will happen again, we wil be fine and we will stand here watching it happen unaffected.

2) Yes the world as we know it is going to end, and theres nothing to do about it because it is a good thing, because its the way that things are supposed to happen, and the human plague will finally be washed away from this earth. i am at peace with this.

3) The world as we know it may come to a horrible tragic end, and it is a horrible thing. we must do everything in our power to stop this from happening before it is too late, we can still save ourselves.

4) this is very cool, the world is coming to a an end, and when it happens i think it will be very interesting to watch society as a whole crumble, and maybee i will get to expierence what it feels like to have an atomic weapon take my life.

5) The human race as a whole cant just go and die, perhaps 99% of humanity will perish but 1% will survive this massive catastrophy and re-populate this world having learned the lessons that brought the last society to an end.

these are just some of the responses i have recieved when i bring this up to my friends and family. I personally stand somewhere between 3 and 2.

It amazes me that so many people living in the same circumstances can come up with such different views and perceptions of the facts of the static reality.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

Loc: point no point
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2458530 - 03/21/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I see economic troubles, environmental disaster, and war in the future, but not the end of civilization. Lots will probably die, but things will go on. Life will start to get harder for us within 20 years I predict.

OfflineDrWho
TimeLord

Loc: nth ring
    #2458827 - 03/21/04 11:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

its not up to me...
im along for the ride, & have a parachute to spare if any one wants one!

--------------------

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: DrWho]
    #2459182 - 03/22/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If the world's going to end soon, does that mean I don't have to be as responsible? Does this free me from making the hard decicions wich could make me a complete person? I guess I can just wait for mom to clean it all up. Jesus is coming so let's relax and wait. I think it's this kind of childish thinking that would cause the world to end. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. For every person who can grow up and be a man(woman), there's more hope. It's all personal. Everything we do affects everything we interact with. Personally, I have hope in our species. I'ld like to think that we got this far for a reason. Who knows though?

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2459508 - 03/22/04 07:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

500 years ago...
dr martin luther said something to the effect that:

if he knew christ were to return tomorrow (& judge the world & end time as we know it!), then today he would plant a tree in the ground, and that night try to plant a child in his wife's womb...

heh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2459890 - 03/22/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Humanity is engaged in building the tower of babel. We are reaching for God (peace, heaven, happiness) through our technology. It is as absurd as literally building a tower to heaven and it will crumble under the weight of its own misconceptions.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2460237 - 03/22/04 03:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well don't worry cause a couple days ago 8,000 people banged on drums and that's the start of the healing process, so hooray for pep!

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2460286 - 03/22/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Of course the world is going to end. You're going to die eventually, aren't you? I'd rather if there wasn't a horrible cataclysm during my lifetime and I don't think there will be, but hey, if there is one it'll probably have happened for a pretty good reason.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2461218 - 03/22/04 07:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The question is not if. It is, and always has been, when. How is not that important either, and why doesn't factor at all.

--------------------

OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
Loc: Hungary
    #2461298 - 03/22/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Why don't you mention the most optimistic ones?

This upcoming cataclysm may as well be the healthy culmination of our human existence as we know it. We may unavoidably lose everything that we believe to own, only to thereby ascend to a more expanded or more complex or more deep collective consciousness.

It is not unthinkable, that the different scenarios for our future don't reflect anything else, than the different expectations and fears of our current cultural era. And if so, we must remember, that our fate will be decided solely on the plane of our cultural existence. It's not nature, that is changing so rapidly. Nature is the same, it runs on the same platform as a million or two million years ago. It's within the virtual reality of our cultural existence that relevant things happen. Nature is just responding according to its age-old ways. And if the whole drama is run on the cultural matrix, it is possible, that the actual outcome is going to be nothing else, than a palpable manifestation of the current struggle among the different cultural sets represented by the different scenarios of final cataclysm.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2461557 - 03/22/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How is it not a matter of if, zappaisgod?  The earth goes through cataclysms often, does it?  I'd intuite that given that the world doesn't end often (or at least it hasn't ever that I'm aware of) that it's possibly more likely that it'll keep doing what it does rather than spontaeniously decide to stop.  Sure, it might wind down eventually and all matter might do a Big Squish and then a whole new Big Bang, but that doesn't happen on timelines that even make sense to think about.  When only matters if it happens while I'm alive and just watch me hold my breath on that one. :rolleyes:  How and why are the only ones that do matter, and they only matter for curiosity's sake.

I mean, sure, we may destroy most of the life on the planet and (hopefully) ourselves in the process, but life is an astonishingly resilient thing.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2461615 - 03/22/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What impending doom? Almost 7 billion people is quite successful in evolutionary terms.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: Panoramix]
    #2461618 - 03/22/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't say anything about spontaneous. The sun will burn out before the big whatever. As to the when, if you have a child you'll think a little differently. Probably by about 30 years or so. I wasn't referring to anything we will do just the over all inevitability of it. Crocodilians have got our asses kicked as far as longevity goes. Every species increases until the environment can no longer support it, then it crashes. I think you and I agree in decrying the alarmist nitwits though.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: Swami]
    #2461620 - 03/22/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

just wait till we cant handle anymore people... o wait... thats starting now :wink:. Seriously though, if the popullation continues to grow like it has... i think we will see some serious shit... yeah...  i think the pun was intended.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2461672 - 03/22/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Funny how people see increasing populations and decreasing population as both being bad signs. (Sounds like the Bush Administration).

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: attitudes towards the impending doom of the planet [Re: Swami]
    #2461779 - 03/22/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, it isnt very strong evidence. But i think it raises an issue all to itself which i think president bush could give a flip about. lol.

--------------------
What?

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
    #2462549 - 03/23/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hey man, sorry we didn't meet you at Denny's.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology