Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Entirely recasing after 1st flush with bulk sub? anyone?
    #2305620 - 02/05/04 03:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry this is a double post. I figure it is more than less advanced, if ya know what I mean.

Hello.

My friend was wondering if after a full flush is complete wether she could completely recase her entire casing. See, she said she birthed without casing at all for the first flush, and was wondering wether she could case with coir inbetween flushes. If so, would she have to re-incubate the substrate to allow it to colonize casing material?

Or is this retarded?

Thanks

Ki

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Entirely recasing after 1st flush with bulk sub? anyone? [Re: keyeghost]
    #2305714 - 02/05/04 03:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes you may case, I'd go with a thin layer. The casing will need to colonize, but IMO no need for an incubator (but then again, I never saw a need for incubating casings at all).

Depending on what bulk sub it was, you may not get much. Straw in particular dries out so much that even casing it post an uncased 1st flush may not revive it. But, it should produce better than a non-cased 2nd flush.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: Entirely recasing after 1st flush with bulk sub? anyone? [Re: mycofile]
    #2306295 - 02/05/04 06:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Myco!

The casing was actually about 90% equine poo, and 10% straw. What do you think of that?

If only you knew how much my friend owed to you, you have been a GREAT source of information to her.

Thanks

Ki

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
    #2307220 - 02/05/04 10:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The casing was actually about 90% equine poo, and 10% straw. What do you think of that?

I think that a casing doesn't contain nutrients. Period.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
    #2307712 - 02/06/04 05:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yea, you spawned rather than casing. Your just inoculating the poo/straw with mycelium now, rather than casing, which just stores water and induces pinning.

If you already 'cased' with the poo/straw, make sure you have no contams. I'd recommend, if your trying to spawn instead of case, that you mix the poo and straw evenly with the used mycelium and then apply a casing layer after the spawn run is finished.

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: Entirely recasing after 1st flush with bulk sub? anyone? [Re: Teon]
    #2308169 - 02/06/04 10:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that would be GREAT information if this were a nutrient question. The question rather referred to the amount of H2O held by such a casing. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Ki

--------------------

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: Entirely recasing after 1st flush with bulk sub? anyone? [Re: Grandpa]
    #2308178 - 02/06/04 10:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks gramps! Yeah my friend understand much more about the grow process than you may realize, but the idea to mix the entire poo and straw together and let recolonize between flushes to case is a great idea gramps! Only bad part I can see is possible contam introduction.

Thanks!

Ki

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2308207 - 02/06/04 10:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think grandpa and teon were referring to the fact that it sounds like you don't have a casing at all, but rather colonized substrate. From what I understand you SPAWNED (meaning innoculated) a BULK SUBSTRATE (manure/straw) and thats it. That makes it a substrate, not a casing. The substrate would need to be covered with a CASING layer (non-nutritious layer over the substrate used a water resevoir). They were just correcting your terminology.

But lets just make sure that's what you did.

If so, then yes the manure/straw mix will likely thrive if you apply a casing layer, even after 1st flush. In fact I know several cultivators that always do that when using horse manure.

I would use a 50/50 or 25/75 mix of coir/verm, and add a splash of lime for pH buffering, rather than using straight coir. Coir is great, but it dries out so fast that the verm is very helpful. Just pick any fruit or abort you can get off without touching the substrate, apply the casing about .5" thick as evenly as possible, and water well but don't saturate it. You should see the mycelium poking through within a week. Patch the first visible mycelium with a thin layer of casing mix. Maintain fruiting paramaters. It should then fruit prolificly.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2310090 - 02/06/04 08:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh I see. Sorry I was sort of drunk when I posted that (I swear I know the correct terminology =).

So Myco, does my friend need to reincubate, or keep the fruiting process going?

Thanks

Ki

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2317482 - 02/09/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'd just keep it in the fruiting chamber. If you want, you could cover it with some foil to keep the moisture in and the light out, but even that's optional. the thin casing layer should colonize within just a few days.

You could re-incubate, especially if that's what you usually do. Personally I just never incubated casings at all.

--------------------

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2328518 - 02/12/04 09:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Myco!

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2354433 - 02/19/04 11:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How'd it work? Second flush should be coming by now, just checking up.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2458447 - 03/21/04 08:10 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

This is wierd. This post has been bumped, on the thread list page it shows the last poster was GreeNeem, but I don't see a recent post here. What's going on? Was the post deleted or something?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate