Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmurphy5000
I am not me

Using a Soxhlet extractor
    #12393599 - 04/14/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I saw on some other threads about extraction methods of psilocybin, and someone mentioned that using a Soxhlet extractor works, so i looked into it and watched a few videos on how they work online. i found this was a really good explanation.

Does anyone know how you would load cubensis into one of these things? What would be the best way to load them in there.?

and also, how many times would you let it run over them  to get all the psilocybin. Would the color change in the liquid coming off of them at a certain point. or would you just run the thing for a certain amount or set time?

Also after using the soxhlet you are left with the liquid after, how would someone go about evaporting the solvent to be left with just crystals. i have no idea i'm just a noob to this stuff, but i want to learn. it doestn' look that hard to run a soxhlet or a rotary evaporator either.

what solvent would you put in the soxhlet for doing psilocybin extraction?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: smurphy5000]
    #12393672 - 04/14/10 05:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Dude, your looking at about a grand for the extractor and if you dont know that you just evaporate the liquid to get crystals but that doesn't work right anyways. I would say just chill for now cause you could really hurt yourself with this.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinesmurphy5000
I am not me

Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #12393688 - 04/14/10 05:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
you just evaporate the liquid to get crystals but that doesn't work right anyways.

yea i know i've been reading on it, most ppl get a mush after they are done and not crystals.
would it work if someone were to use a rotary evaporator?

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#12394068 - 04/14/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That's still a maybe, the closet I got was a  crystalline precipitate but it was pretty looking and it took some serious chemicals and know how to do it.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinesmurphy5000
I am not me

#12394149 - 04/14/10 07:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
That's still a maybe, the closet I got was a  crystalline precipitate but it was pretty looking and it took some serious chemicals and know how to do it.

N-hexane is usually what's used in Soxhlet extractors.

from wiki
"Extensive peripheral nervous system failure is known to occur in humans chronically exposed to levels of n-hexane ranging from 400 to 600 ppm, with occasional exposures up to 2,500 ppm. The initial symptoms are tingling and cramps in the arms and legs, followed by general muscular weakness. In severe cases, atrophy of the skeletal muscles is observed, along with a loss of coordination and problems of vision."

doesn't sound too fun lol.
what chemicals were u using.

also i was just lookin up stuff online about everclear and found it's equivalent called Alcool made in Quebec. 95%

http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=56057&langId=-2&parent_category_rn=12307&top_category=12167

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#12394305 - 04/14/10 07:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I love Canadian Copies :crazy2:
I used methanol to extract out a slurry type mixture and then evaporated. Then I used CHCl3 to get a some what cleaner product. I redissolved into methanol again and tried to freeze out a precipitate but I didn't like it so I evaporated all the methanol out to get my not so pretty crystalish product. I wanted to run it thru a chromo column but I ran out of silica so I said fuck it.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinesmurphy5000
I am not me

#12394366 - 04/14/10 07:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
I love Canadian Copies :crazy2:

i know i only live in NB canada, right next to quebec but i'm in lower NB closer to Maine, still i can't find a way to get Alcool unless i fuckin drive there, and i don't own a car, i guess i gotta try to find ppl i know going on quebec trips and try to get them to pick it up for me. Lots of ppl go to concerts in Montreal from here, so mabe i will get lucky and find someone to pick it up for me.

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#12394656 - 04/14/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ill save you some time, get a shit ton of sugar, and a shit ton of yeast. Add water and sugar and pasturize, once cooled add the yeast. Build yourself a condensor and buy a hot plate or find one. Wholla, just saved you tons of time. At my lab we make all our own ethanol because it has to be made a special way. You know the days we are making it cause everyone is a little too happy.:grin:

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlinesmurphy5000
I am not me

#12395644 - 04/14/10 11:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
At my lab we make all our own ethanol because it has to be made a special way.

isn't that stuff actually just moonshine, and you can make it in a reflux distiller? and you can use it for fuel in a car lol.

OfflineTrotter
Just a Newb
Male

Loc: Colorful Colorado
    #24562635 - 08/18/17 11:57 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
Dude, your looking at about a grand for the extractor and if you dont know that you just evaporate the liquid to get crystals but that doesn't work right anyways. I would say just chill for now cause you could really hurt yourself with this.

The extractors come as a kit on ebay for around $70.

OfflineTrotter
Just a Newb
Male

Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: Trotter]
    #24562647 - 08/18/17 12:01 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

All this can be done with everclear that you then distill once (kits for that are just as cheap as the extractor on ebay). Then you take the distilled everclear and use that as your solvent works great. I have used these setups for a number of different extractions for our herbal apothecary. I am just now starting to grow my own mushrooms and this is exactly how I will be extracting a tincture from my first batch of mushrooms. This works very well for extraction and should work well with cubes. Getting your plant matter in and out of the vessel is a pain but not too bad.

Edited by Trotter (08/18/17 12:02 PM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24563456 - 08/18/17 05:31 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Seven years was the last post.

Boiling magic mushrooms in water is the best way to get the magic out

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

OfflineTrotter
Just a Newb
Male

Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24563790 - 08/18/17 07:49 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So what if it was 7 years ago. Soxhlet extraction is a great extraction method and I look forward to trying it with mushrooms as well.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24563799 - 08/18/17 07:53 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

the fact that no one in this thread has logged in in 4 years

and no Soxhlet extractions are not good with mushrooms, but you could have looked that up it's been discussed plenty of times

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
I wouldn't use a soxhlet for extracting mushrooms, the alkaloids in mushrooms will be decomposed faster by heat

They readily extract into water and alcohols at RT anyway so there's no need to use a soxhlet.
Soxhlets are good for extracting something very, very, thoroughly, say if there's very little of a compound present and you must get all of it, and/or getting hard to extract compounds that a simple solvent soak will not be effective for. There's no real advantage to do it with mushrooms and with heat you have an added disadvantage.

people just want to use them or say their name because they're cool

soxhlets are made for solutes with low solubility
psilocybin & psilocin go into water (and methanol) just fine so the soxhlet makes no sense..

--------------------

Offlinemyceliups
Builder
Male User Gallery

Loc: Philthadelphia
    #24565465 - 08/19/17 03:45 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Psilocybe Mushroom Extractions

Dear Dr. Shulgin:

A friend of mine performed a Soxhlet extraction of 12 grams of powdered Psilocybe cubensis, using 95% ethanol. When the 60 mL of extract cooled to room temperature, many small transparent, colorless crystals had formed on the bottom of the container and did not redissolve on agitation. Do you know what these crystals are? -- Journeyman

Dear Journeyman:

There is a fascinating report in the literature that gives a quantitative measurement of the efficiency of extraction of both psilocybin and psilocin from the mushroom Psilocybe bohemica. The citation to the article is Kysilka, R. and Wurst, M., Planta Med. Vol. 56 pp. 327-328 (1990). These Czechoslovakian scientists studied the efficiency of both methanol and ethanol as solvents, each containing varying amounts of water. The results were, to me, both unexpected and most provocative.

The isolation of psilocybin seemed to be quite reasonable. This alkaloid is reasonably soluble in boiling water from which it can be nicely crystallized. It is less soluble in boiling methanol, and almost insoluble in boiling ethanol. And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better. The compound is, after all, a perfect example of a zwitterion, the internal salt of a phosphoric acid and an amine base.

But the numbers with psilocin are strange. With aqueous ethanol, the optimum extraction was with a 70% ethanol concentration, and the extraction efficiency dropped almost to zero when there was no water present. But methanol was extremely inefficient regardless of the amount of water present in it. These researchers were apparently surprised by these findings, as they explored further and uncovered other clues. Time is a factor. Psilocin is extracted at a much slower rate than is psilocybin because it is contained intracellularly in the plant, and thus slower to be gotten out. They conclude that many of the low psilocin assays of mushrooms are due to this difficulty of getting the alkaloid out of the plant and into the extracting solvent. Using this information they determined that the levels of psilocybin and psilocin are substantially the same in Psilocybe bohemica, in conflict with the published literature values where very small amounts of psilocin were observed.

Efficient extraction apparently requires patience.

As to the identity of the crystals that were drifting around in the cooled Soxhlet receiver, from their being insoluble in ethanol, and white, and transparent, I would guess that you are seeing pure psilocybin.

-- Dr. Shulgin

Link here.... http://www.fanaticus.com/mycoalki.htm

Edited by myceliups (08/19/17 03:45 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: myceliups]
    #24565480 - 08/19/17 03:54 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Crystals of the gods was debunked ages ago. Its bullshit lol

--------------------

Offlinemyceliups
Builder
Male User Gallery

Loc: Philthadelphia
    #24565993 - 08/19/17 08:09 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Only the crystals were debunked. The liquor is active as hell.
It was for OP to check out if they haven't seen. Here is another
link that may be of interest.

https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/psilocin.extraction.html

OfflineTrotter
Just a Newb
Male

Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: myceliups]
    #24566008 - 08/19/17 08:18 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I am not looking for crystals of the gods either. I am looking for a very fine extraction.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using a Soxhlet extractor [Re: Trotter] * 1
    #24581874 - 08/26/17 06:31 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

In a MAPS conference this year Paul Stamets talked about using ice cubes to do a cold extraction of "blue juice" on fresh shrooms, skip to 20m 43sec
t=1243

I saw this first linedon mycotopia BTW

Edited by blackout (08/26/17 06:35 PM)

OfflineHamond
Stranger
    #28017362 - 10/26/22 10:44 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

The liquid phase Bligh and Dyer extraction. Normally both a polar and non polar acidic solvent acetic acid, ethyl acetate, acetone and Dichloromethane. Presoaking in KOH followed by condensation acid hydrolysis reaction during soxhlet extraction. Other solvents will work like pentane and IPA. I think a mechanical press followed by a wide range distillation. (Citric Malonic acid Xylitol and sodium benzoate potassium sorbate for artificial flavor and preservative)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom