Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Legally distilling absinthe?
    #5799756 - 06/28/06 03:19 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder what would happen if you added all the herbs for absinthe to water instead of liquor and distilled that.

Presumably you would get tainted water with a layer of what could be called "Oil of Absinthe". If you then added alcohol to this mixture, the oil would dissolve partially (de-louche?) and blend with the water to form absinthe without ever taking the technically illegal act of distilling alcohol.

This could, at least, be used as a cover story for how we make distilled Absinthe without breaking the law.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycogirl
goddamn
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #5800170 - 06/28/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I have a feeling you need the alcohol to extract the active (alkaloids?) chemical from the plant. I don't think water will pull that out of the plant. I think also if it was that simple, people would have been using that method for centuries.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: mycogirl]
    #5800654 - 06/28/06 08:20 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

It's basically the same thing you get when you make absinthe from essential oils.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineTorrid
[live.]
Male
Loc: SK, Canada
    #5801770 - 06/29/06 01:42 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You can already order Wormwood oils with a high concentration of thujone. Likely they would have an effect, but it would less than desirable. In my experience, the alcohol was certainly part of the effect of Absinthe.

--------------------
above the clouds and below the bark they're having parties
beyond those roots find a tree house symphony there

step lightly into my daydream after the yawning
don't worry about what's on TV, it'll just be boring

mystified and unified we know
half-empty but positive we know
there are no explanations to the things you see
in your mystery
so don't look to me to validate your dreams

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: Torrid]
    #5802483 - 06/29/06 09:03 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not really that interested in thujone actually.

I'm more focused on fenchone and asarone.

--------------------

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5806064 - 06/30/06 05:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I think you'd need to ferment the wormwood & other absynthe ingredients before distilling otherwise there would be no alcohol/alkeloids to be concentrated by the distilling process.

BlueDruid

OfflineTorrid
[live.]
Male
Loc: SK, Canada
    #5808584 - 07/01/06 01:31 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
I'm not really that interested in thujone actually.

I'm more focused on fenchone and asarone.

Presumably wormwood oil would contain these as well.

--------------------
above the clouds and below the bark they're having parties
beyond those roots find a tree house symphony there

step lightly into my daydream after the yawning
don't worry about what's on TV, it'll just be boring

mystified and unified we know
half-empty but positive we know
there are no explanations to the things you see
in your mystery
so don't look to me to validate your dreams

Edited by Torrid (07/01/06 01:31 AM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: Torrid]
    #5810241 - 07/01/06 04:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

No.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #5810290 - 07/01/06 04:57 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
No.

lol.....nice reply

peace

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

Loc: Spain
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: supra]
    #24560003 - 08/17/17 09:48 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Here in Spain, absinthe has NEVER been illegal - unlike in France next door.  One of my favourites is Marie mayans, 80% alcohol.  Mrs Fly hates me drinking it though.

--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: Spanishfly]
    #24560322 - 08/17/17 12:07 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing is illegal really. I mean, if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, is it really illegal? Think about it.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: ferrel_human]
    #24560990 - 08/17/17 05:16 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

SWIM's cat thinks it's legal as long as you label it incense

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

#24561229 - 08/17/17 06:57 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Nothing is illegal really. I mean, if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, is it really illegal? Think about it.

Tell that to the LEO who comes to feel your collar for growing peyote.  My friends in the US tell me EVERYTHING is illegal (Oh except GUNS of course)

--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#24561361 - 08/17/17 08:00 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Spanishfly said:
Quote:

ferrel_human said:

Tell that to the LEO who comes to feel your collar for growing peyote.  My friends in the US tell me EVERYTHING is illegal (Oh except GUNS of course)

You are something man. Retire. Think about it.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

#24567525 - 08/20/17 02:09 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Quote:

Spanishfly said:
Quote:

ferrel_human said:

You are something man. Retire. Think about it.

I retired in  2001- as in work is a 4 letter word.  Done nothing but go fishing and grow cactus since - Oh and drink beer - cheapest booze in Europe here in sunny Spain.

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#24567545 - 08/20/17 02:19 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah man i remember you posting it. Its weird how the shittiest tasting foreign beers here in the united states eg., stella, corona(absolute shit), heinekin etc get the most air time. I mean all those are crap. I mean crap and they are so,expensive.

--------------------
-Karode

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

#24567586 - 08/20/17 02:33 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So what do you like?  Budweiser (now that one is little girl´s wee-wee) ???or Fosters??  Currently my favourite tipple is a bottled beer made in Holland but called Bavaria - and only €1.20 a 330ml bottle.

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#24567622 - 08/20/17 02:44 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I like stone ipa and stone's arrogant bastard. But the cheaper option is always crap budlight or its good tastee sister michelob light. Thats good beer.

--------------------
-Karode

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
    #24567846 - 08/20/17 04:39 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

From what i understand, Distilling alcohol is legal if it is not used for consumption.... And the process of distilling alcohol is less then a days worth of work. In small amounts, just a few hours.

Ethyl alcohols boiling point of 173 is a pretty manageable temperature to maintain for the course of a distillation.

As for using water to bring the essence over. Well if the active or aromatic constitutes you desire are strictly the essential oils, then yes water will help you get there. A simple steam distillation will carry them over just fine. Although, w several different plants used, several different oils will obviously be present. Some might float (the typical routine for such a thing) and some may sink. So please inspect you sep funnel or collection flask carefully before isolating layers. Also in their pure essential oil form.... Well here's the deal. Some plants have higher concentrations of essential oils than others. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to mention right? Yes it is, but it is important to note that not all plants are equal in yielding oil from a distillation. A quarter pound of biomass for one species may yield a half of a fluid ounce (for example) and another species (@again let's say a 1/4lb) may only yield a few measly drops. Therefore the ratio you desire from one herb to the next, will likely vary and be very difficult to regulate And control. One would likely need to do several runs and perfect how much of this and how much of that to use to truely and accurately nail the ratio they are after. First try, yeah you'll likely end up w some oil, but there's a good chance it won't quite be the breakdown you were hoping for.

I've distilled EOs many times but never a mix like you are suggesting. From what I've seen and experienced, is what I build my argument on. Perhaps it could yield success in such a simple process, but honestly I think there's going to be some heavy variability.

I think your best bet is to look into the tried and true methods ppl have used to make this unique beverage.

Gl to you sir.

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
Re: Legally distilling absinthe? [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #24567858 - 08/20/17 04:45 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Ferrel you ever drink Abita Light? I normally hate all light beers but the Abita stands out. Its not watered down piss, still bass a crisp and bold flavor but at the same time its still a refreshing drink. NOLA blonde is another good choice.

I don't really drink anymore, but when I did, I stayed away from Domestic garbage and most commercial imports.

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds