Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleThepowerofplants88

Monotub setup question
    #24558273 - 08/16/17 02:01 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I just set up a Monotub with one big bulk substrate cake. Wondering if anybody thinks that the following ideas would work.

Here is a photo:

I have a layer of perlite at the bottom, and the bulk cake sitting on a plastic plate over the perlite. Using a 800 lumens LED bulb from above along with side light from a window/indirect sunlight some parts of the day. I'll keep it 12/12.

I was planning on keeping the lid on airtight and opening it for FAE 4-5 times per day. I haven't made any holes in the monotub. I was wondering if this would be fine or if it would be best to just leave the lid upside down 24/7 for this setup? I probably won't mist too often because of the perlite but I recently misted the sides with tap water. Hope this will work for now until I can start my first monotub with coir/spawn. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub setup question [Re: Thepowerofplants88] * 1
    #24558286 - 08/16/17 02:10 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The perlite is 100% useless on the bottom of a tub. It wont make humidity unless air is flowing through it.

You'll want to mist. You want fae 24/7 not just 5 times a day. You want air exchanged 5 times an hour

OfflineADARKERSHADOW
Lurker
Male

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: Thepowerofplants88]
    #24558320 - 08/16/17 02:23 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Imo You should just go ahead and make a SGFC instead of drilling monotub holes.

--------------------
All that is gold does not glitter.

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24558327 - 08/16/17 02:26 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you bod.

Okay, so just to clarify I should remove the perlite or it would be fine to keep it in there? I had the impression that perlite on the bottom is usually what's used with SGFC's so I thought that for a bulk cake setup like I have here I would just attempt a monotub/SGFC two in one kind of setup but without the holes... How would I go about allowing airflow through the perlite to increase humidity or how does that usually work with a SGFC; because there's holes throughout an SGFC which allows proper airflow through the perlite?

How often should I mist a setup like this? FAE 24/7 a day could work with leaving the lid upside down similar to your monotub tek? And that will allow air exchange continuously rather than 5 times an hour, which would be ideal?

I'll go ahead and do whatever you would do with this situation.

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: ADARKERSHADOW]
    #24558340 - 08/16/17 02:28 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to be using the same tub to follow bods upside down lid monotub tek after this grow so I'd prefer to avoid drilling any holes if possible and keep it as a solid bin. Thanks for the post

OfflineADARKERSHADOW
Lurker
Male

#24558361 - 08/16/17 02:42 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Sgfc works because all 6 sides have holes.
Doubling up on your teks isn't going to help you, especially when you're starting out.

--------------------
All that is gold does not glitter.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24558370 - 08/16/17 02:45 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

If it were me i would put it in my monotub and probably mist it often since it has more surface area it will dry fast compared to bulk substrate laying in the bottom.
Your tub isnt the same tub as mine so expect some trial and error

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: ADARKERSHADOW]
    #24558373 - 08/16/17 02:47 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I see. I didn't know that there were holes on all 6 sides, that makes sense. And yeah I just had the bulk cake and didn't know what to do with it so I thought that this would be ok for now to use the bin that I'll be using for a monotub afterwards. Thank you very much for the information. Learning lots lately and this site has been a great help

#24558391 - 08/16/17 02:52 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate this. So I should remove the perlite and keep the bulk cake in there with the lid upside down 24/7 for continuous air exchange and mist often? I may save the perlite for further use if possible or if I can I'll just keep it in the tub if it won't affect anything negatively. Hopefully I won't fuck it up... What kind of tub do you use? This one is a 26L/27QT

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24558396 - 08/16/17 02:55 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I would do what i already said in this post
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
If it were me i would put it in my monotub and probably mist it often since it has more surface area it will dry fast compared to bulk substrate laying in the bottom.
Your tub isnt the same tub as mine so expect some trial and error

#24558517 - 08/16/17 03:46 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yes I read that but I still wasn't 100% sure what you meant which is why I asked a few follow up questions.

When you say your monotub, in reference to the setup that I have here because clearly I don't have your monotub and I'm trying to work with what I have, you would leave the lid upside down 24/7 for continuous air exchange (as in your monotub tek)? I'll make sure to mist often.

Would there be any issues with leaving the perlite in the tub now that I already have it in there? Or is it essential to remove it?

How would a different tub make a difference when you say to expect some trial and error?

Thanks!

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24558532 - 08/16/17 03:54 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You might need to put some sort of spacer between the lid and tub to make air gaps. If you do that you might not even need to flip the lid.

There's no perlite in a monotub tek so. Yes take it out

The tub i use I know works fine. Idk how your tub will do or how you'll be able to cope with it.

#24558942 - 08/16/17 07:16 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I thought that flipping the lid would be easiest but I currently have one latch shut and the other side loose at the top, there seems to be enough of a gap. I removed the perlite from the bottom and just have the bulk cake in there now with the lid cracked and a nice amount of moisture within the tub.

I had an idea that perhaps turning the tub upside down and placing the cake on the lid and keeping it cracked from the bottom might be helpful because the humidity will rise and stay more within the chamber rather than escaping from the top, it would escape from the bottom? Not sure if this would help out or not. Thanks again

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

Loc: The Sporetorn States
    #24559043 - 08/16/17 08:04 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Second that.  Way better to have a monotub around than a needy ass sgfc, even if it fruits your substrate 15% less optimally or whatever.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Only a square would say "a cube is a cube."

No, this does not look right...

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: Machiavelliavore]
    #24561341 - 08/17/17 07:51 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So I just constructed a mini monotub with polyfil and a large bulk substrate cake.

This was my first time making a monotub with holes, I was originally going to just keep the lid cracked without holes but thought that this would produce better results for this cake/mycellium brick.

I wet the polyfil before stuffing the holes because I thought that's what I was supposed to do and that it would help to maintain moisture within the tub, but now that I've looked at other videos of making monotubs, it seems that one is not supposed to wet the polyfil and you just stuff the holes dry.

With having a cake like this that could dry out faster than a normal monotub setup, would keeping the polyfil moist help with humidity inside of the tub?

I have the cake sitting on a piece of wire to keep it off the floor of the tub because I noticed some pins starting to form on the bottom. I was also concerned that the wire (covered in white paint, just a rack from the dollar store) could rust and somehow contaminate the inside of the kit or affect the mycellium but I think this is nothing to worry about, if it is please feel free to inform me if I should remove it.

Should I still mist this brick of mycellium or inside of the chamber to keep it from drying out or should I just leave this the way it is and wait until after a flush to open the tub and rehydrate or dunk the mycellium? I was previously informed that having a large brick/cake like this would dry out faster than if the bulk substrate was laying at the bottom as in a typical monotub setup because of it having more surface area.

Thank you!

#24561557 - 08/17/17 09:44 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Replace the polyfil if it gets wet? Keep it dry?

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#24562751 - 08/18/17 12:49 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Wet poly is not standard.  It's possible it generate a trivial qty of humid air, but more likely it will just choke the air exchange.  The poly is there to restrict air exchange.

Yes it may dry out somewhat, mist it if that's the case.

The rack will probably just encourage more pinning on the bottom since it will create a high humidity microclimate under the substrate.  Better to just leave it as is.

Provide good closeups if you want info about misting it.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#24562777 - 08/18/17 12:59 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I would not seal up the tub and not poke holes in the tub. Just place the lid on imperfectly. Fan couple times a day till pins form. Done deal.

#24562850 - 08/18/17 01:35 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks. Here's a few photos

The second picture makes it look a bit more yellow than it actually is. But it is a bit yellow and not as white as it once was. I'm not sure if this is because of dehydration or if it's just the straw within the mycellium but I have been misting the sides and lightly misting the cake itself.

I currently have it in fruiting conditions with indirect sunlight with a room fan blowing on it and at night for a few hours under a 750 lumens/5000k LED bulb, I then place it in the darkness before I go to bed and repeat the cycle.

I was told by another individual that the best thing to do would be to dunk it and break it up and mix with coir and let it recolonize in the tub as a true monotub setup and then repeat fruiting, but it's already producing some pins and I think it may be too late at this point to do that because any pins within the brick would rot and contaminate the monotub?

All it is is 1L of spawn mixed with straw that was colonized.

I was going to see how it does in this setup for a few days, try to fruit whatever I can or see if any more pins pop up, and if nothing I was going to dunk it and break it up and mix with coir and let it recolonize as I was suggested to do.

I'll do whatever i can at this point and am open to any suggestions. I really would like to have a successful harvest and not waste this. I was told that with this amount I could fruit 10+ oz easily. Hope it's not too late.

Sorry for the long posts. Any info about misting it would be much appreciated as well

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#24562918 - 08/18/17 01:58 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

1L of spawn is highly unlikely to produce more than 3oz under perfect conditions.

That looks dry as fuck.  I would flip it over and hope that the bottom is in better condition.  It should be tight poly down low, loose poly up top.  THe fan isn't supposed to be pointed directly at the tub, but just to keep air motion happening near.

Spawning it would not be good especially at this point.  I'd either flip and mist the bottom and keep that more ideal.  Might try dunking it and also doing that.

--------------------

Triggered yet?

#24563083 - 08/18/17 03:04 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it doesn't look too good. I just dunked the cake for a few minutes with room temperature tap water. There's mushy pinheads everywhere throughout the cake. Here's a photo of the bottom. I picked a few pins off that were growing.

I'm guessing this would be contaminated or near that point. The thing that disappoints me the most is that I have no idea what I've been doing wrong and this is exactly what happened on my last grow attempt.

I originally colonized this spawn and fruited it in a growkit setup from my previous grow, with a box and a plastic dome lid. I harvested about 10 grams dry with this cake and then thought that it would be best to remove the cake from the growkit setup and put it in a clear bin to fruit from all sides to maximize yield and prevent rotting pins everywhere like on my first attempt when I kept it in the kit. I noticed some pins all over the sides and bottom when I removed it from the kit setup this time as well but I thought that they were just trying to grow and would have grown because I had removed it earlier then the last grow which I had sitting in the growkit setup for over a month which got pretty contaminated at that point and I think this attempt was just starting to get to there.

Anyway I dunked it, and there's pins growing all through the cake, inside of it and everything, I'm not sure how this is even possible. I tried to remove whatever mushy pinheads I could but they're throughout.

Here's a hole I dug and the pinheads that I removed. Fucking sucks man.

Should I just keep this in the tub and hope for a few more fruits to pop up or should I put this outside and hope for some fruits?

Going to do a proper monotub from scratch on my next attempt and not fuck with kits anymore.

Just got to learn how to make spawn before I do that

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24563116 - 08/18/17 03:16 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I don't see pins.
How's it smell?

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24563142 - 08/18/17 03:25 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Smells fine. Mycellium on the outside is still white on most parts but theres pinheads (the brown part) throughout the whole brick which is what I removed. Not rotting yet but they're everywhere and a bit mushy like they're dead aborts that tried to grow

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#24563265 - 08/18/17 04:03 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

How are the pins going to rot when pins are what you are striving for?
Just keep in that tub and keep it warm and give it a few fresh air exchange and you will see pins soon enough.
Easy. No complicated.

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: kingkc]
    #24563430 - 08/18/17 05:12 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Okay thanks. It just didn't look too healthy. Should I have not dug out all of those pinheads if that's the word that I should use for a pin that hasn't formed a stem but just a bunch of caps? I thought that they were dead and removed a bunch. Hope that wouldn't have caused contamination if I smashed some of them up in the process... I probably am worrying about it too much but just want this to work out and be a success.

Another question, I was going to start a new thread, but I've been doing that a lot lately. If I had a jar of spawn, could I remove a handful and mix it with some water and WBS in a separate jar to recolonize, and if so could I recolonize a bunch of WBS and produce several jars of spawn doing this from the original spawn?

Edit: Actually I don't think it's pinheads.. I never thought of it but it's probably the grain that was used to make the spawn. So I'm good I hope. What a relief. Here I was worrying that it was all fucked up with aborts everywhere and digging holes in it and everything trying to remove them all. But it worked out fine because I ended up saving the mycellium I dug out and put it in a jar with some WBS and water, kind of similar to the question I asked above.

Still interested in finding an answer to the above question regarding spawn. But I guess I'll wait and find out myself to see if this jar colonizes! And then I'll dunk it and roll it in some vermiculite or something like that! Might try to find an alternative because I'm cheap! Or I'll just say fuck it and fruit it straight from the jar as a cake! And then I'll have another cake to throw in the monotub. Or I'll break it up like a marijuana bud and try to recolonize it with some coir in a small tray. We'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to it! I'll keep you fuckers posted!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Thepowerofplants88 (08/18/17 08:22 PM)

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#24565028 - 08/19/17 12:18 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yes you can do that and that is sort of what many folks do to increase their spawn supply. Having a spawn supply is a big business for mushroom growers.
In fact the pinheads were just waiting for moisture or time and  warmth.
Concerning your jar of spawn I would just wait for some horse dung so you could mix it with some of your straw for a stronger substrate mixture.

Re: Monotub setup question [Re: kingkc]
    #24565082 - 08/19/17 12:46 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Cool. Never knew it was that easy to produce spawn. I'll probably just go ahead and mix the spawn on my next grow with some coir and skip the manure/dung and straw. I've read that coir and spawn topped with a bit of vermiculite after colonization and a nice mist will help the growth explode and create the proper conditions. If anybody wants to confirm this, that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks again kingkc

#24596367 - 09/01/17 03:40 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Hey when you mentioned 1L of spawn may be able to produce 3oz did you mean dry or wet? Thanks dude!

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

#24596395 - 09/01/17 03:53 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Dry, and that appears to be about maximum output, which you will be highly unlikely to achieve.  2oz/liter in multiple flushes would be more of a good side of average result you may achieve.

--------------------

Triggered yet?

#24596406 - 09/01/17 03:56 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks again man, just noticed this after I made a new thread on the topic. Kind of a dumb question after I thought about it and realized what I asked, of course it would be dry weight lol.. Thank you!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate