Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushiemane
Stranger
contamination?? help please
    #24556655 - 08/15/17 08:04 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

i have inoculated 12 jars of rye grain & they all have black spots in them i am pretty sure it is contamination but just need experienced growers to let me know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: contamination?? help please [Re: mushiemane]
    #24556708 - 08/15/17 08:25 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely contaminated.

Top left jar i can't see anything and the same with bottom left but you will need to check these yourself. If there's any other color than white (and the grain) then they need to go.

Really you need to back track as to what could of happened. Was it the inoculation process, was it the conditions during colonization. Go back through the tek you are following and see which steps you are not adhering too.

Sorry to bring the bad news pal!! I'll keep an eye out just in case you need more advice.

--------------------
"We know a tremendous amount about what is going on in the heart of the atom, but we know absolutely nothing about the nature of the mind."

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: contamination?? help please [Re: Psilocybeater112]
    #24556716 - 08/15/17 08:28 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Also this is the picture in the document for anyone else who needs to see.

Edited by Psilocybeater112 (08/15/17 08:30 PM)

Offlinemushiemane
Stranger

#24556723 - 08/15/17 08:30 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

thanks bud i appreciate it and i figured so i will start fresh any suggestions on what could have went wrong? can i reuse the same jars just wash & sterilize or buy new ones? just some tips on how to avoid this would help please & thank you.

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24556730 - 08/15/17 08:33 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushiemane said:
thanks bud i appreciate it and i figured so i will start fresh any suggestions on what could have went wrong? can i reuse the same jars just wash & sterilize or buy new ones? just some tips on how to avoid this would help please & thank you.

If you want we can go through the potential causes but i will need to know which Tek you was following?

Also you can re-use those jars just make sure when you throw out the contaminated contents that you are careful not to breath any of it in.

--------------------
"We know a tremendous amount about what is going on in the heart of the atom, but we know absolutely nothing about the nature of the mind."

Offlinemushiemane
Stranger

#24556760 - 08/15/17 08:50 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

okay thank you and i did the rye grain tek, added spawn to grains that i ordered sterilized & i smelled a jar is that going to hurt me?

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
    #24556769 - 08/15/17 08:52 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

That is the most round about way I've ever seen a pic posted.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24556820 - 08/15/17 09:06 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushiemane said:
okay thank you and i did the rye grain tek, added spawn to grains that i ordered sterilized & i smelled a jar is that going to hurt me?

If you are saying you inoculated grain with colonized grain (spawn is colonized grain), this is what's called a grain to grain transfer and unless you learned how to transfer completly sterile in a still air box or in front of a flow hood, then it is most likely going to be very contaminated.
If you opened a jar of colonizing grains in open air to smell it , it is likely very contaminated.

Fully Colonized spawn can be mixed into bulk substrate (like coir, pasteurized straw or horse poo, etc) in open air.

Colonized grain can be added to sterile grain to make more grain spawn, but it needs to be done absolutely sterile.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24556830 - 08/15/17 09:10 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LotKid said:
That is the most round about way I've ever seen a pic posted.

Great contribution :thumbup:

Quote:

mushiemane said:

I can't say if it will or not. You might get anything from a headache to potentially a damaged nervous system. Depends what the bacteria and how the mycotoxin acts. I wouldn't worry until you start to show symptoms and if you do then i'd go to visit a health professional as it's a very complex topic. Take some vitamins and make sure you stay hydrated.

In regards to the tek, i see you used tissue instead of a filter? I think the filters are much thicker, though.....when we are talking about bateria it's like having a football net to them.

The contamination could of entered at any point really, if you didn't drain the grain properly, if you didn't sterilize the needle properly before or flamed and then iso'd..... always flame over alcohol any day, could of been the temperature you was keeping them at or the environment you kept the jars.

So,

How did you sterilize the needle?
Did you do this between each jar?
Can you get filters?
Where did you keep the jars?
What was the temperature during colonization?
How long was they incubating for?
Was it tissue you used instead of a filter?
Did you use a PC?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: contamination?? help please [Re: mushpunx]
    #24556835 - 08/15/17 09:11 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Quote:

mushiemane said:

If you opened a jar of colonizing grains in open air to smell it , it is likely very contaminated.

I think Mushiemane did this once contaminated not during incubation.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24556837 - 08/15/17 09:14 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I don't understand what he did then? I'm confused

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Offlinemushiemane
Stranger

#24556855 - 08/15/17 09:20 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

i have a much better understanding now thank you i appreciate it so what is the best way to inoculate rye grains? because i ordered sterilized jars of rye grain in mason jars from a distributor and the colonized 100% just fine?? they had self healing ports and those came out fine. Should i stick to that?

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24556857 - 08/15/17 09:21 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I've asked a bunch of questions further up which should clear up the basics and maybe answer if it was grain to grain or to what stage he got to with it.

--------------------

Offlinemushiemane
Stranger

#24556861 - 08/15/17 09:23 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for all the help i feel my grains where too damp and caused mold.. if someone can tell me the best and most effecttive way to inoculate rye grains successfully please im all ears?

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24556877 - 08/15/17 09:30 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Rye grain should be inoculated with a wedge of a clean agar culture. Spore syringes are clean enough for BRF usually but grain isn't as forgiving.

If you must inoculate with spores, just one single drop of solution, no more.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Offlinemushiemane
Stranger

#24556892 - 08/15/17 09:36 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

understand, so for rye grain inoculate with a spore syringe just one drop. Correct? i do not know what a wedge of a clean agar culture is sorry..

OfflinePsilocybeater112
Virtuoso
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24556911 - 08/15/17 09:50 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushiemane said:
understand, so for rye grain inoculate with a spore syringe just one drop. Correct? i do not know what a wedge of a clean agar culture is sorry..

There is a lot of information on this site, would be a shame if you didn't go looking!!

If you follow this link then that will tell you what agar is.

Agar information

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24557375 - 08/16/17 06:24 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Because most fruits are grown in open air, the spore prints (even if you taken properly) are not sterile and when the spores germinate, so does bacteria and/or mold.

Grain is much more likely to contaminate from a spore syringe than a BRF cake. Agar is a tool that allows us to separate clean , healthy mycelium away from those contaminants so we can be sure the inoculant is clean.

It looks complicated but agar work is super easy and if you want to be successful at bulk growing you are going to have to learn it.

But for right not, if you arent going to stick to PF ten then your best changes of getting clean grain spawn from spore syringe is as follows:

Inoculate several jars of grain with a single drop each. The less spore solution you use the better chances you have- and you only need a couple spores anyways , there are many thousands in a single drop.

Once these are colonized you examine each jar and choose the cleanest , healthiest one to use as a master , and inoculate the rest of your spawn from it using grain to grain transfer.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Offlinemoehd
Go into the light and shine
 User Gallery

#24557398 - 08/16/17 06:41 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

just order some rye in spawn bags with self healing injection ports.

ive never had a issue with them. if u get from a sponsor u rarely do.

itll save u alot of trouble. u could also make the spawnbags yourself buy empty bags. its way cheaper to make your own. just dont sweat it no one does their first grow right. just switch to the spawnbag tek if your having sterilizing issues. or learn how to do what u wanted to do better

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures