Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Crimea * 3
    #24552980 - 08/14/17 11:12 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I am now in Crimea - staying in the beautiful resort town of Yalta (yes THAT Yalta).  I'm posting about my trip in the political forum because of the heavy politics involved here.

First of all, I noticed that the Shroomery lists my location flag as Ukraine, but this place is CLEARLY not Ukraine (more to follow).

I'll start with a few photos of Crimea - from the places I've already visited:

Crimea: A picturesque tourist spot you won't be visiting anytime soon

Swallow's Nest - Listed by National Geographic as the first of 20 Must See Places in the world.

Livadia Palace in Yalta - where Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin met to shape a post WWII peace.

Yalta at Dusk - a booming tourist town

Although the West still pretends Crimea belongs to Ukraine, it is very clearly a Russian territory.  If you try to enter Crimea from Ukraine, as required by Ukrainian law, there is a very long wait as a result of a Ukrainian (not Russian) checkpoint.  Ukraine clearly wants to discourage its own people from entering 'their own' country.

If you fly into Crimea from Russia (as I did), it is considered a domestic flight and there is no customs/security to go through upon entering - you simply get off the plane and leave the airport.

Ukraine says it is illegal to enter Crimea by any route other than from Ukraine, and if they learn you've entered Crimea by another route (as I did) they will ban you from Ukraine for 5 years.  But luckily for me, they'll never know I've been to Crimea because Russia never stamped my passport because they considered it a domestic flight.  :smirk:

The people here are VERY CLEARLY pro Russian, as Crimea has historically been a Russian territory until Khrushchev transferred it from Russia to Ukraine in 1954.  The local population speaks Russian rather than Ukrainian, many private homes and businesses display the Russian flag, and every business has a website ending in ".ru".  The locals I've spoken with told me Crimea has gone downhill since the breakup of the Soviet Union, but things have gotten better now as Russia is pouring money into the local economy.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the tourism comes from Russia, as Crimea is sanctioned by most of the rest of the world.  International companies had to close their branches here because their company would get in trouble if they didn't, and international cruises had to stop coming here for the same reason as well.

My cell phone is blocked here by my own country, and my credit cards are rejected here as well.  It's a good thing I brought a lot of cash with me from Moscow (for that very reason).  The US makes it as difficult as possible for its travelers, as it probably doesn't want its citizens to tell the story of what's really going on here, in the hope that the vast majority remain ignorant and believe the propaganda they are given.

I can only laugh with the locals as the US tries to restrict my travel, while Russian citizens can travel wherever they like without restrictions.  Crimean citizens are now guaranteed 32 days of paid leave per year as required by the Russian constitution, which also allows a steady flow of tourists from the rest of Russia who need to use up their vacation days.  The standard of living here has gone up, and they have no desire to return to Ukraine, whose economy has tanked since the US orchestrated coup.

I'll be here until Friday, and if there's any questions I can answer before I leave, I'll do my best.  Wednesday I visit the military town of Sevastopol.  I hope the US doesn't pull any more crazy shit while I'm there.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (08/14/17 01:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Crimea [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #24553019 - 08/14/17 11:35 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, beautiful photos! Enjoy the rest of your trip. :thumbup:

Invisiblerelic
of a bygone era
Male

Loc: the right coast
Re: Crimea [Re: qman] * 2
    #24553062 - 08/14/17 11:56 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

looks like an awesome place to drop a tab and go sight seeing.

have fun, fal!

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Crimea [Re: relic] * 2
    #24553265 - 08/14/17 01:38 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Fal has turned into a full time Putin propagandist.

--------------------
I am a violent pusher of the neo-marxist SJW agenda to destroy society.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: relic] * 1
    #24553287 - 08/14/17 01:51 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys.  Yalta is a party town, where people come to have fun!  As I said, most people here are on vacation, and the beach has a carnival like atmosphere (it literally has carnival rides, games, and tons of things to do).  The beaches are packed with bathers, as the weather here is very warm.  The nearby mountains are gorgeous.  A fun place to visit should we ever lift the sanctions.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: koods] * 2
    #24553293 - 08/14/17 01:55 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Fal has turned into a full time Putin propagandist.

You're a full time "I believe anything Hillary tells me, even if it's not supported by evidence" (see your signature).

Please tell me what I said above that you believe is false or even misleading.

:popcorn:

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: koods] * 1
    #24554700 - 08/14/17 11:31 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

No response?  How disappointing...  I was looking forward to this discussion.

--------------------

OfflineMad_Larkin
fnord
I'm a teapot
Loc: British West Indies Flag
Re: Crimea [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24555276 - 08/15/17 08:59 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

why do you hate america so much?

--------------------
dugasprogie:ramen calcifies ur third eye
DoD

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: Mad_Larkin] * 3
    #24555345 - 08/15/17 09:32 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

:lolwut:

Dude, I served in the US military 8 years (plus 4 years of military school).  I own a great home in the San Francisco Bay Area which I love.  What are you even talking about???

--------------------

OfflinePatlal
I am the fucker of your mother.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Crimea [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #24555604 - 08/15/17 11:38 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Shroomery flag says Ukraine.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #24555608 - 08/15/17 11:42 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Fal, make a "Discord of Labels, ANTIFA warfare = NAZI warfare" thread.

it'll be popular.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #24566654 - 08/20/17 04:56 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'm back in Moscow after my 6 day trip to Crimea.  Here's some final thoughts:

- It is VERY clear that the Crimean people, with the exception of the Tatars, strongly support being part of Russia.  I spoke with dozens of random people, and not one said they wanted to go back to Ukraine.  Even the Tatars I spoke with said they are making more money under Russian rule.

- The sanctions have forced all international companies out of Crimea.  There is no McDonalds, Walmart, Monsanto, etc in Crimea.  Since the country is full of Russian tourists, this actually allows local businesses to thrive.

- Many people here have voluntarily told me they will fight to keep Crimea under Russia.  They refuse to accept Ukrainian rule.  Something interesting to understand as we continue the debate Crimea's future.

- No one here disputes the results of the Crimean referendum; not even the Tatars.  The vote to separate from Ukraine was by far the most heavily attended election in Crimea's history.  Everyone is proud of standing in long lines to vote about this.

- If you wish to travel to Crimea, don't go through Ukraine.  You will be stopped in 10-13 hour lines at the border by Ukrainian security trying to keep their own people out of 'their own' country.  Fly in from Russia instead (or take the bridge Russia is building that will be completed in another year or two).  Also bring plenty of cash because your credit cards won't work here, nor will your cell phones.

Again, I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have about my trip.  It's a fun place to visit, and believe it or not, the people love Americans.

Here's a few photos of other places I visited:

Ai Petri peak with a great view of the Crimean coast

Sevastopol Harbor - a Russian Naval town that's now open to the general public

A formerly top secret nuclear hardened submarine base under a mountain near Sevastopol (decommissioned after the breakup of the Soviet Union)

Yalta beach (yes, it was crowded with Russian tourists)

--------------------

OfflineCinnamon
Stranger

Loc: Nelson Flag
    #24566662 - 08/20/17 05:08 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

"Sevastopol Harbor - a Russian Naval town that's now open to the general public"
The REAL reason for annexation right there.

access to world domination by sea.
bueno.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: Cinnamon]
    #24566742 - 08/20/17 07:03 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

:awesomenod:  The REAL reason the US orchestrated the coup in Ukraine.

--------------------

OfflineCinnamon
Stranger

Loc: Nelson Flag
    #24566776 - 08/20/17 07:17 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
:awesomenod:  The REAL reason the US orchestrated the coup in Ukraine.

100% wouldn't disagree.

Edited by Cinnamon (08/20/17 07:18 AM)

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25145729 - 04/17/18 01:50 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
If you fly into Crimea from Russia (as I did), it is considered a domestic flight and there is no customs/security to go through upon entering - you simply get off the plane and leave the airport.

Ukraine says it is illegal to enter Crimea by any route other than from Ukraine, and if they learn you've entered Crimea by another route (as I did) they will ban you from Ukraine for 5 years.  But luckily for me, they'll never know I've been to Crimea because Russia never stamped my passport because they considered it a domestic flight.  :smirk:

Looks like Russia just upgraded Simferopol International Airport (in the center of Crimea) to a modern world class airport from the one Ukraine had before.  The new bridge to connect mainland Russia with Crimea is set to partially open by early May, way ahead of schedule (for the few of you interested in non-US centric news).

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#25145762 - 04/17/18 02:10 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
modern world class airport from the one Ukraine had before.  The new bridge to connect mainland Russia with Crimea is set to partially open by early May, way ahead of schedule (for the few of you interested in non-US centric news).

Cool.  Now they don't have to deploy riggers and shit in order to move tanks onto the peninsula.  Plus redundancy, and whatnot.  :shrug:

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Crimea [Re: Cinnamon]
    #25145766 - 04/17/18 02:11 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cinnamon said:
"Sevastopol Harbor - a Russian Naval town that's now open to the general public"
The REAL reason for annexation right there.

access to world domination by sea.
bueno.

Not world domination.  Just the Black Sea.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crimea [Re: chibiabos]
    #25145776 - 04/17/18 02:16 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

chibiabos said:
Cool.  Now they don't have to deploy riggers and shit in order to move tanks onto the peninsula.

I don't recall your position on Crimea, but you do realize there was never any fighting in Crimea itself, right?  The fighting was (is) all in Eastern Ukraine (mostly Donbass).

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

#25145797 - 04/17/18 02:34 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

chibiabos said:
Cool.  Now they don't have to deploy riggers and shit in order to move tanks onto the peninsula.

I don't recall your position on Crimea, but you do realize there was never any fighting in Crimea itself, right?  The fighting was (is) all in Eastern Ukraine (mostly Donbass).

Yes, and the Russians were trying to drive a wedge in between Odessa an Kiev but didn't really have enough momentum to make it quite there without overextending themselves, owing to the fact that the only way into Ukraine was through their own Western frontier.  Did you happen to, perhaps, ever look at a map of the area while you were in the Crimea and notice anything about how the major roads are laid out (especially relative to Russian and Ukranian troop dispositions and the location of major ports on the Northern Black Sea)?

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-33/ch5.pdf

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Petri Dish

General Interest >> Political Discussion