Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenoctane
Stranger
Noctane's raspberry pi automated martha * 1
    #24549578 - 08/13/17 03:32 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi guys!
Thought I'd show off my current martha set up, both to get some feedback and hopefully to share some inspiration and ideas.
First off, here are a couple pictures:
Overall martha:

Underside:

The martha is the greenhouse that you all know and love.
I've got 4x 1 metre strips of 5630 cool white LEDs taped to the outside, facing inwards.
I've also got 2x DHT22 / AM2302 temp & humidity sensors on the back face.

The big bucket and tubing is my DIY humidibucket. It's a 15L bucket with two cheap ebay pond foggers in it (With DIY floats on them). PVC coming out of both sides so that you can remove the lid without interfering with anything. Airflow is driven by a 4 pin PC fan (so that you can control the speed via PWM). The fan is on the dry side of the humidifier, so you don't need to worry about humidity destroying it. I've also got a fill point sticking out the side, so I can refill it without moving anything.
Flexible tubing carries the air from the bucket to the top of my martha. I run the fan on very low speeds and still get great airflow.
Two pond foggers is massively overkill as I discovered, as even one you barely need to run to maintain 95% humidity. They're dirt cheap though, so at least I have a backup.

The humidibucket works great. The fogger isn't even on very often. It holds a lot of water too, for minimal refills.

The foggers, fan and LEDs are all hooked up to a 4-relay relay board, which is controlled by a Raspberry Pi Zero.
The Raspberry Pi Zero is a tiny, $10 computer. I picked the version with wifi to avoid having to run more cables to the setup (the whole things runs off just one power lead).
From the raspberry pi, you can turn on or off anything individually, as well as modulate the speed of the fan.
I've currently got it programmed to turn on and off the fogger based on what the two sensors are reading, to automatically maintain the humidity I'm targeting. The fan always runs. Programming the raspberry pi only requires very basic programming in python, anyone could learn it, and it'd be happy to share my code if anyone is interested.

All of this is powered by a 24V 10A 240W power supply on the back (Again probably overkill). I've got a few voltage step-down boards, but when possible, I'll wire stuff in series to lower the voltage instead of using a voltage step-down. I've also crimped my own quick-disconnects to everything, so I can easily take it apart or modify it as much as I need to.

The last thing I need to do is set up the exhaust. I plan on running another length of flexible tubing out a window, and slapping another fan in it.

Sorry for the rambling post, and thanks for reading this far.
If you have any comments, questions or feedback, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Also, just ask if you'd like more pictures of any specific component.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineP. semilanceata
Milker of knowledge

Re: Noctane's raspberry pi automated martha [Re: noctane]
    #24549640 - 08/13/17 04:22 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Nice job.:thumbup:
This is almost exactly like one I am going to build, but I am going to use arduino and have been thinking about connecting hose from humidity bucket to every tier. I probably will update to raspberry pi as I have one and like the possibility of saving data from the grow.

Have you measured humidity at different tiers? Is it much lower on bottom?

Did you make slits to your GH or are you just keeping zipper open?

How long until you have to refill your bucket? I am going to use 20L bucket.

Do you know how much water your fogger uses in hour? I am going to buy few with 400cc/h rating.

I would love to see your code as I am trying to learn python and I think best way to learn is to see other peoples code and try to figure out how it works and why.

I have read that it is good thing to wrap your RH sensor in coarse material, for example polyfill, so that there is no condensation on sensor which causes false readings. Also use silicone on the connectors for longer life. They will corrode otherwise.

--------------------
Things I am looking for.

Offlinenoctane
Stranger
Re: Noctane's raspberry pi automated martha [Re: P. semilanceata]
    #24549832 - 08/13/17 07:33 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Cool man. Post pictures of it when you do it.
No slits, as I mentioned, I'm working on an exhaust to avoid filling my room with spores and co2.
Difference in RH is only a couple % between top and bottom.
I actually haven't been able to run it flat out for more than a day, so i'll post when I have info about water usage. They're quoted at 400ml/hour too. A few days easily, probably nearly a week considering how often the foggers are on. I'm using one of these:

Dirt cheap on amazon and ebay.
I'll clean up the code and post it soon! It's only a basic program, I've been considering making it into a basic server using REST, and give it a nice web page.
Thanks for the tip about the sensors

OfflineP. semilanceata
Milker of knowledge

#24549922 - 08/13/17 08:55 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry somehow I have not been able to comprehend all that I read today. I totally missed that you mentioned exhaust.

I will post pictures in my journal when I get to point where I can assemble GH. I might start programming next week as I think that I have all necessary parts except GH, foggers, bucket, hose and tray under GH. GH should be on its way here from China and arrive during this month. I will order foggers and buy other stuff locally when I have more money

REST seems cool. I might also use it when I upgrade to Raspberry pi as I want some nice graphs in my notebook about RH and temperature.

--------------------
Things I am looking for.

Offlinenoctane
Stranger
Re: Noctane's raspberry pi automated martha [Re: P. semilanceata]
    #24550026 - 08/13/17 09:49 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Cool man.
You don't need REST for graphing by any means, it's just how I'd implement things as a server.
I'm currently recording both temps & RH's to a CSV file, which you could even just throw into excel or whatever.
I'd be happy to help you out with your code if you need.

OfflineP. semilanceata
Milker of knowledge

#24550066 - 08/13/17 10:23 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you for offering help. I will most likely need some help as I am very new to python and Raspberry Pi. I will pm you when I am starting to program my Pi. I will start when I have cultivated mushrooms few times successfully with my GH.

--------------------
Things I am looking for.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation