Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHeisenberg
Stranger

North Everett Tweaker Cam
    #24548038 - 08/12/17 11:08 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.king5.com/news/local/everett/north-everett-tweaker-cam-live-streaming-homeless-camp/463489391

The drug problem in Everett has one businessman so frustrated he's broadcasting it for the world to see.

Last month, Gary Watts posted a "Welcome to Tweakerville" sign outside his business. He's now live streaming a homeless camp to draw attention to Snohomish County's opioid epidemic.

Watts has run his auto repair shop in North Everett for 25 years. The past five or so have seen an explosion in the number of homeless addicts camping across the street.

His customers don't feel safe.

Fed up, he installed four surveillance cameras, and he's not done yet.

"My next step is a drone program," he said. "And we're buying a microphone so we can broadcast audio."

The cameras are live streaming the activities along Smith Avenue to countless people in at least 167 countries. Most of it is routine and mundane. Occasionally, however, the cameras zoom in on addicts shooting heroin in broad daylight.

Watts says his mission is simple.

"I want a safe place to live. I want a safe place for my employees to work. I want a safe place to do business with my customers," he said.

Watts says on Wednesday night his cameras captured some people breaking in to a neighboring business. Employee John Stolzenburt called the cops and had them arrested.

"I hope we're sending a message," he said.

The Everett Gospel Mission sits a block away from the camp. CEO Sylvia Anderson conceded the camp is a problem, and understands Watts' frustration.

She worries, however, that exposing the camp for all to see may do more harm than good.

"This population has started to decrease in the past few months," she said. "I'm concerned that it's going to grow and become the place to come sell your drugs because of all the exposure."

The cameras are now getting so much attention the City of Everett issued a statement about them Thursday.

It reads, in part, "It can be tempting to focus on the negative and on the short-term. It is also tempting to paint all those on the street with the same brush, to assume that they are all homeless, all addicts, all committing crimes. That is a dangerous oversimplification, and it ignores the complexity of the issues we see on our streets."

For now, Watts says he has no plans to stop the live stream and will continue to use it to push City Hall to clean up his neighborhood.

"I have empathy," he said, "but I want my city clean."

© 2017 KING-TV

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline24sevenZed
~Z3D3Z~
I'm a teapot

Loc: CYBERSPACE
Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: Heisenberg]
    #24548286 - 08/12/17 01:33 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

So... what if you're homeless and need insulin?

Also, tweakers do meth, not opiates. Get your slang right.

Finally, if you're shooting up in broad daylight on the street, do you give two fucks about people online watching you or fucking talking drones? Or anything at all?

Lol. At least the city issued a reasonable response.

OfflineHeisenberg
Stranger

Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: 24sevenZed]
    #24548465 - 08/12/17 02:58 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Never met a junkie that wasn't a tweaker too. That shit goes hand in hand.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #24548515 - 08/12/17 03:21 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

24sevenZed said:
So... what if you're homeless and need insulin?

Also, tweakers do meth, not opiates. Get your slang right.

Finally, if you're shooting up in broad daylight on the street, do you give two fucks about people online watching you or fucking talking drones? Or anything at all?

Lol. At least the city issued a reasonable response.

At least they managed to arrest the people breaking into a neighboring building :shrug:

Who knows, maybe one day the cameras will save someones life.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Offline24sevenZed
~Z3D3Z~
I'm a teapot

Loc: CYBERSPACE
Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: musiclover420]
    #24548647 - 08/12/17 04:27 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Sure, that's a valid point, and it sounds a lot like why people are comfortable with the public surveilance in London, for example.

But my issue here, personally, is treating every homeless person in some area like they are all scum, which I disagree with on principal. Maybe it needs to be done in this area ... but I say the city should step in then.

So on second thought, maybe their statement just doesn't go far enough. Maybe it's the city's way of avoiding real action.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #24548666 - 08/12/17 04:39 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I think the issue here is the city isn't doing anything so this guy took matters into his own hands.

I agree generalizing homeless is not right but we also can't just ignore them.

Hopefully these cameras will help keep violence and crime down.

And as they get more attention it might help something to actually be done to fix the issue.

I wish we could just set up homeless farms where they get free lodging in return for working fields to grow their own food. Seems like a good way to help all the homeless and hungry people.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: musiclover420]
    #24549285 - 08/12/17 09:47 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely a sad state of affairs. Always blows seeing homeless people downtown and knowing that the country has the financial potential to fix the problem but don't.

The comments during the live stream are hilarious! :awedance:

--------------------
:dancingbear:

SonicTitan said:
"Id rail the same amount of come to crack"

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShrillGoldenChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: Heisenberg] * 1
    #24549615 - 08/13/17 02:07 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Heisenberg said:

That's odd because I've noticed the opposite. People who are into uppers don't usually like downers and people into downers don't typically like uppers ime. Even people who are poly drug abusers and do both, still have a definite preference.

OfflineTNK
Pleasures of Africa
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: I AM THUNDERBOT
Re: North Everett Tweaker Cam [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #24550320 - 08/13/17 10:41 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
Quote:

Heisenberg said:

That's odd because I've noticed the opposite. People who are into uppers don't usually like downers and people into downers don't typically like uppers ime. Even people who are poly drug abusers and do both, still have a definite preference.

That's pretty much my understanding, even when I was homeless in Seattle which is south of where this article is about is either or- junkies don't call themselves tweakers and visa versa, least around these parts.

--------------------
Edited by TNK (02/22/22 22:22 PM)

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#24550367 - 08/13/17 10:59 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Lets see discriminate against drug users and force them into ghettos, then blame them for everything wrong in the world. When has that been done before? Could it be a repeat of what the Nazis did to the Jews just short of gassing them.

Is it like what America is doing to the Muslims by turning Shia against Sunni? Or like the DEA does with drug users by turning cannabis user against  opioid users and the list goes on.

The drug war is and always has been an excuse why our society is failing yet the sad fact is its greedy misanthropes that cause millions to live in abject poverty. Sad fact more people in North America live below the poverty line then Chinese do even though China has four times the population.

So the West blames drugs just like the Nazis blamed Jews while the rich get richer off the backs of the poor! Hence why I love to forget.

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#24550392 - 08/13/17 11:08 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Heisenberg said:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/everett/north-everett-tweaker-cam-live-streaming-homeless-camp/463489391

"I have empathy," he said, "but I want my city clean."

© 2017 KING-TV

That's all that the NAZIS wanted a clean Nation devoid of all those dirty Jews. Who could have guessed at what the final solution really was eh?
Look at what has become of America in just six months under Trump. White racists Nazis coming out of the wood work wanting to kill anyone who disagrees with them. WTF

Offlinesprinkles
otd president
Other User Gallery

Loc: washington state Flag
    #24552359 - 08/14/17 02:09 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

awe yes :heart: everett

love driving into everett.  that sweet & sour sewer smell.  thats the smell of love.

--------------------
welcome to my world http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/326

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals