Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMagic.Myco
Stranger

Too many pins?
    #24547859 - 08/12/17 10:54 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

So I used the pf tek and nocced up a few brf jars with ms inoculant. I'm relatively new to all of this so I was wondering, is it normal to have such dense clusters of pins like this? There seems to be literally hundreds on each cake. Maybe it's because I used full pint cakes instead of half pints and there's twice as much sub. I only took one picture because I don't like to keep my fc's open too long or stick my hand/phone in there. They can't possibly all fruit, can they?! Also I see the white on the caps. I've looked around a little bit. Am I right to assume that I might need more fae? Since I made these cakes I've moved on to monotubs but of course I'm still going to see this one through. I should note that I can only keep the rh at about 85-90% because of my environmental conditions. The room it's in is usually at about 30-40% humidity so rh is a battle for me with sgfc's

Edited by Magic.Myco (08/12/17 10:58 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetrollbutter
Neet
Male

Re: Too many pins? [Re: Magic.Myco]
    #24548037 - 08/12/17 01:08 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

they must be very happy you must be doing something they like so I would just keep it up lol looks like itll be a killer harvest so far.

in my non-sg chambers they can use some extra fanning especially once they are maturing.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Too many pins? [Re: trollbutter]
    #24548063 - 08/12/17 01:27 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Ignore the RH, ditch the hydrometer. Its readings are meaningless in mycology. Just mist when the cakes surfaces look dry, easy as that.

Lots of pins can be normal, when you are growing from spores the genetics will be different every grow , every cake. Good environmental factors definitely help, so keep doing what you are doing.

Sometimes lots of pins means lots of very small mushrooms (like the cake in my photo), which is fine they add up in weight, or you can have nice clusters like my other photo. 

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
Re: Too many pins? [Re: mushpunx]
    #24548067 - 08/12/17 01:29 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Haha. Get rid of the rh meter.
Those cakes look great.
And your humidity seems a bit high.
Pics of  the chamber?

OfflineBoromyc
Stranger
Re: Too many pins? [Re: mynakedrat] * 2
    #24548081 - 08/12/17 01:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Ignore the RH, ditch the hydrometer. Its readings are meaningless in mycology.

It's called a hygrometer; a hydrometer is a different thing entirely. And to say it has no use in mycology is asinine. A more accurate statement would be, "it has no use in small scale cubensis cultivation."

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Too many pins? [Re: Boromyc]
    #24548390 - 08/12/17 04:25 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, to clarify it has no use in this type of home cultivation, short of greenhouses.
Is useless for the OP's purposes.
And yes, I made a spelling error.
:rolleyes:

:lol:

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (08/12/17 04:26 PM)

Offlineragehottie
Everything's better when ur high
Male User Gallery

#24548750 - 08/12/17 07:23 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Boromyc said:
Quote:

mushpunx said:
Ignore the RH, ditch the hydrometer. Its readings are meaningless in mycology.

A more accurate statement would be, "it has no use in small scale cubensis cultivation."

A more accurate statement would be, "it has no benefit for the average cubensis cultivator."

Gotta include those rare edge cases of a cultivator doing a study with small scale grows, too.

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

Re: Too many pins? [Re: ragehottie]
    #24548775 - 08/12/17 07:38 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

They're not useful in fruiting chambers due to the nature of how they work. The temperature is in constant flux which gets the air flowing through the holes passively. Any change in temperature is going to change the dew point, making any RH reading you get pretty useless. All that really matters is the humidity at the surface of the substrate. Just keep an eye on your surface conditions. Tiny beads of water good, pools of water bad.

InvisibleMagic.Myco
Stranger

Re: Too many pins? [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24549928 - 08/13/17 08:57 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a pic of the fc right after I birthed. Pretty standard sgfc except I got the "hi-rise" tote because I used full pints and anticipated needing a little more head room. Typical 2"x2" spacing, 1/4" holes with the fc raised about 1-2" off the table for air flow

I'm still learning how to use the forum so forgive me for not properly quoting the message that I'm replying to. You'll see that this is only my second post and I'm learning the Shroomery as much as I'm learning mycology.

I probably won't do any of tek grows anymore unless I'm teaching somebody else. Already the bulk tub (I don't call them monotubs because I don't have fae holes, I fan them) is out performing any pf tek I've done. As for the hygrometer, I know it's not necessary. It's just that I'm a prolific note taker and love to experiment. The more data points I have the better. My plan right now is to learn bulk growing inside and out, fine tune a tub design that matches my environmental conditions, then build a glove box and start doing some isolation/agar transfer work. So just using hygrometers gives me a useful data point. I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to where I work that I can actually come home on a 10 minute break and check on them. I record the temperature and humidity 10 times daily. I check the temperature relationship between what it is outside to what it is inside, then the relationship of the conditions inside my house to the conditions inside the fc. I think that's why I'm taking to mycology. I find lab procedure (pasteurization, inoculation, isolation, ect.) to be very satisfying. And with all the different configurations for tubs, there's LOTS of room to experiment. So for now I'm going to keep using the hygrometers, just for the sake of data. Also they look over saturated in the original pic because it was right after I misted. Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Magic.Myco (08/13/17 09:10 AM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24549948 - 08/13/17 09:07 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

These are pint cakes?

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleMagic.Myco
Stranger

#24550073 - 08/13/17 10:32 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yes full pints. I know a lot of people recommend not using them because they take longer to colonize and the substrate has a tendency to compact. I just sprinkled it in very carefully and didn't handle them at all during colonization and had no issues.

OfflineSteevo
Just a cog in the death wheel
 User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
    #24550091 - 08/13/17 10:45 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

You needn't worry about opening the lid and putting your hands in there. You'll need to once you go to harvest and you won't be introducing anything that way. All of those pins may not grow to maturity and some may end up aborting which is no big deal. Just pull the ones that abort earlier so they don't get all soggy on you. They can still be used. I've made a tea out of aborts many times and enjoyed the ride every time

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Too many pins? [Re: Steevo]
    #24550258 - 08/13/17 12:20 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

The problem is you think the hygrometer gives you useful data points
It doesn't
They're usually horribly inaccurate in a FC environment

Also the location of the hygrometer makes a big impact on the number it shows so often you'll get misleading numbers.

Then you'll associate or correlate these numbers to performance and make all sorts of mistakes and misconceptions

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Too many pins? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24551373 - 08/13/17 07:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Bodisatta off topic I never enlarged your avatar pic- that photo is gorgeous!

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24551398 - 08/13/17 08:01 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks. I think I've got more floating around

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

OfflineBoromyc
Stranger
    #24551817 - 08/13/17 10:33 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I've been to a mushroom farm where the humidifiers kick on when the rh drops to a certain point. It was a pretty slick setup, made possible with a hygrometer. They certainly have uses in mycology. And yes, of course you need to figure out the most effective location in the fruiting environment to put it, but that doesn't mean it's useless in mycology.

I thought this forum was about promoting accurate info. I don't understand why it's controversial to correct somebody who claims that a tool is useless, when I know for a fact that they can be used very effectively, and have seen them benefit other growers.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24551867 - 08/13/17 10:47 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That's because people come on here with shit grows all like "idk why it looks like this my hygrometer says 99%" and that's simply because they have no idea how to actually read the mushrooms reactions, and instead of trying to learn they're just reading numbers on a gauge.

See people on here know you can read conditions and the mushrooms reactions using your eyes and a flashlight, much better than any gauge. Maybe if the setup is so big you can't even check on every sub every day you should look into a hygrometer, but hopefully by then you actually know what mushroom should and shouldn't look like, and you wouldn't be here asking about growing advice. At this moment instead of any hygrometer gauge op needs to be worried about reading surface conditions. Make sure the surface is glistening with no pooling water. Shine a flashlight for glistening and mist when it isn't.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineBoromyc
Stranger
Re: Too many pins? [Re: Mad Season]
    #24551980 - 08/13/17 11:19 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I fully agree, I was just correcting the original statement because it is simply not true. Your advice to OP is absolutely true.

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
    #24552168 - 08/14/17 12:56 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Boromyc said:
I've been to a mushroom farm where the humidifiers kick on when the rh drops to a certain point. It was a pretty slick setup, made possible with a hygrometer.

A hygrometer is unable to power on a humidifier. A humidistat is used for the automated controlling of a humidifier.

Just correcting your statement.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
Grain Strainer

InvisibleMagic.Myco
Stranger

#24552440 - 08/14/17 05:51 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Bodhisatta that's great advice, thank you! I'll definitely take the data with a grain of salt. The thing is, I used to keep and breed reptiles. So I already have about 20 semi accurate analog hygrometers/thermometers laying around. I usually put one down near the substrate line and one up by the lid, assuming that the rh would obviously be higher if the meter were closer to the source itself and only in monotubs. I put one in my sgfc just because I had it. Actually, believe it or not but the only thing I even had to buy to get into this was some rye berries and spores. I had everything to do the pf tek and then monotubs already. I have my own horses. I'm basically already set up to do this, so I am I guess haha.

As for not reaching into my fc's, it's just a personal thing. I know that an established and healthy mycelial (is that the right word?) colony will fight off infection on it's own. Once I go into cleanliness mode, like with sterilization and inoculation, it's hard for me to get out of it. I know that after my second or maybe even first flush, that the mycelium colony is weaker than when I started. I have a job that exposes me to more contaminates than you can imagine via rotting wood. So by practicing general cleanliness and respect for the area inside the fc, I might get a full extra flush. If I lean over it and sawdust falls out of my hair, who knows what's going to be on there lol.

On a side note, they really are actually all fruiting. Just pulled one single abort off and that's all I saw

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation