Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePastrypuffdaddy
Stranger
Looking for advice with my cultures in agar.
    #24526012 - 08/02/17 09:27 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

23/07/17: Just got my pressure cooker. And I've been waiting to gather all the things to successfully grow some mushrooms. I had a couple of LC syringes in the fridge and I've been itching to get hands on. So I decided to try pouring some 250ml jars of agar. Used a recipe including potato flakes and corn syrup. And the  pressure cooked and let cool overnight.
24/07/17: Using a SAB for the first time was harder than I expected. I've really got to practice. Luckily I made some Ship lids. And though I know LC isn't a great choice for agar, I did it just for fun.
31/07/17 https://imgur.com/gallery/vZL5F
This is a picture of 6 days of growth. 2 different cultures, If anyone has a second to look over those pictures and can tell me what's going on with it that would be really great.
03/08/17
Today marks 9 days since I squirted LC onto my agar. The white shown in the pictures is fuller, no obvious contams even in the jars I opened up to take pictures of. Is that bad?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLucidius
Stranger

Re: Looking for advice with my cultures in agar. [Re: Pastrypuffdaddy]
    #24526439 - 08/03/17 12:35 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

You might be good to go, keep an eye out on the bumpy one as sometimes trich will look like that early on.

Looks more like you got a lot of lc in there - you ideally only need a single drop or two smack dab in the center. This way everything grows out in all directions and you can transfer off of the healthiest looking parts (away from contams, more vigorous growth, etc) to agar to 'clean up'

Recommend at least 2 transfers to agar before going to spawn to be more sure of no contams. Some swear by 3.
As an experiment if you really want to see some fruits sooner than later, if they look white and healthy, you can probably get away with the generation 1 transfer (ie your first transfer to agar from these ones) after they have grown out then going to spawn (and at the same time transferring small rice-grain sized bits to more agar or generation 2). IE, in your SAB or equivalent clean work area (you do have one right?) you have your gen 2, and your spawn jar ready to receive. You crack em both, then open your gen 1, cut out a tiny piece and put to 2. Then close 2. Then cut up the rest of that gen 1 or dump the whole thing into your spawn jar and close that up as well. Now if your spawn jar fails you at least have a gen 2 to keep an eye on. Keep at least 1 gen 1 around and let it overgrow so you can observe for contaminants that pop up later.

Of course, cracking them open to take pics may have compromised them, keep that in mind!

OfflineLucidius
Stranger

Re: Looking for advice with my cultures in agar. [Re: Lucidius]
    #24526442 - 08/03/17 12:39 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

PS I can tell by those growths (assuming they are mycelium) that your agar is very nutritious. You may want to consider lowing the nutrition content to get them to 'string-out' more because it spreads out much faster looking for more nutrition (and can beat slower end contaminants for example as a result of this growth pattern) and is more distinctive than contaminants - most of which do not look stringy. Trich for example looks a lot like that in your pictures - spotty and thick white. But so does healthy myc on a substrate it considers nutritious (ie it does not spread too fast because its got enough food where it is). So its hard to tell.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract