Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
how much do you usualy get out of one cake
    #2452488 - 03/19/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i have has a lot of people ask me is it worth the grow and the hassel and i tell them
it is a hobbie some people have model planes and i have my shrooms and it is worth it i think.....

i have tryed growing one other time and failed i had 5 brf jars all contaminated except one... it grew the fastest and it started to grow mushies inside the jar... one problem i dont have wide mouthed jars.... so i had to break the jar open and put it in to fruit scince i thought i already birthed so i come to the fuiting chamber two days later and it is contamed so theres my fist try

now i have popcorn jars 5 of them again and now again i only have one and it is 100% now and i just need to case.. suggestions

oh my original question how much do you get from one popcorn cake i.e 1/8 1/4 ounce dried from one cake/.....

thanks
austin :razz:

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: how much do you usualy get out of one cake [Re: austin_72283]
    #2452507 - 03/19/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Try mushroom cult.?

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Re: how much do you usualy get out of one cake [Re: Dankman]
    #2454117 - 03/20/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

bump

--------------------

OfflineTaffy
enthusiast

#2454131 - 03/20/04 01:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you didnt learn anything from the first try?

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2454183 - 03/20/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My first grow is in shouldered jars now... (fully colonised, just giving it a couple of days)

Having read so many horror stories, I have researched and researched and decided that h2o2 is the newbs best friend (gonna dunk with h2o2 and water, cut the cake inside the jar and case - with h2o2 treated verm...)

My experiments with h2o2 have been very positive... I've got a jar colonising (popcorn) with honey tek treated and 're-vamped' with h202 and have restarted a liquid myc with honey water (treated with peroxide) that wasn't even sterilised. I've had NO contam problems at all (which is pretty flash considering I haven't even got a pointy bit for my syringe).

There are many people here who know a lot more than me (most of them know what they're doing and have all the right supplies and have never needed to explore this technique).

I would like to see a full tek FOR NEWBIES regarding h2o2. I believe it may have the potential to cover a lot of errors you experienced growers would never make (and thus make it ideal for newbies)

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Re: how much do you usualy get out of one cake [Re: sakura]
    #2454238 - 03/20/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i have heard that h202 is the best for sterilizing scince i read your post aussie it has inspired me to walk my lazy ass across the street to the grocery store and buy two bottles for a dollar
just one question how much do you pour in the water.... a couple drops a coule ml 1/3 cup//// what

but to my original question how much do you get from each cake or casing

thanks
austin:razz:

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

#2454267 - 03/20/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Here is some info I got from a guy who really knows his stuff (BlueHelix) I'm sure he won't mind my sharing this...

The 6% is all you can easily get in most places in the world. That is because it is the perfect concentration for medical use. At higher concentrations, H2O2 becomes increasingly dangerous as a powerful oxidizer that could release large amounts of pure oxygen, which can be dangerous given flamable anything. When mushroom people refer to hydrogen peroxide, we are talking about the 6% solution.

You definitely do not want to use anything stronger than 6% straight on mycellium. Even 6% is generally overkill but it won't hurt anything. You can use as little at 10% of the 6% solution with 90% water and still kill most all mold spores and bacteria. I use a 10 to 20% solution of H2O2 for my mycellium syringes. I pour the straight 6% solution in first, swirl around, and then add the water. If you treat the water with some H2O2 (say 1 part in 5) before adding it to the mycellium, it doesn't even have to be sterilized to be used for mycellium syringes.

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Re: how much do you usualy get out of one cake [Re: sakura]
    #2454298 - 03/20/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

another note...

I ended up getting a 3% solution. I just tipped a cap of it in my myc solution (about 400ml) and sucked out some myc 20 secs later (to innoculate the popcorn which is now booting). The myc is also growing hard.

Most notable is that I used only the most basic sterile techniques... washed hands, sterilised syringe in microwave and did it all on the kitchen table without oven tek or anything...

It was an experiment (I was, and still am, planning to make a myc solution when I birth the jars), but it has succeeded admirably despite serious flaws in procedure.

Admittedly, this has only been done the one time (by me). I know that a lot of folks here are dedicated to helping newbies, though and this seems as though it might REALLY help new growers...

--------------------

OfflineTaffy
enthusiast

#2454910 - 03/20/04 05:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

did you forget to PC the jars first???

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation