Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Fred's son

Loc: Dominican Republic
Transcript of Bush's speech
    #2451433 - 03/19/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting speech. Interesting audience (the audience included diplomats from 84 countries). Worth reading. I'm sure it will prompt some vigorous discussion here.

Edited by pinksharkmark (03/19/04 02:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
old hand

Re: Transcript of Bush's speech [Re: Phred]
    #2451515 - 03/19/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't find too much to object to in most that speach, beyond the vaugeness and rhetoric that we all expect from politicians.

Here are a couple of points:

"There is no neutral ground -- no neutral ground -- in the fight between civilization and terror, because there is no neutral ground between good and evil, freedom and slavery, and life and death."

Besides being technically inaccurate (what is an indentured servant? what is the difference between inherited slavery and the slavery of a war captive who's children can be free?), this is an objectionable attempt to represent a complex world as a struggle between only two diametrically opposed forces, "good" and "evil".

About Iraq:
"And the terrorists understand their own interest in the fate of that country. For them, the connection between Iraq's future and the course of the war on terror is very clear. They understand that a free Iraq will be a devastating setback to their ambitions of tyranny over the Middle East. And they've made the failure of democracy in Iraq one of their primary objectives.
By attacking coalition forces, by targeting innocent Iraqis and foreign civilians for murder, the terrorists are trying to weaken our will. Instead of weakness, they're finding resolve."

He's trying to paint Iraq and al Qaeda with the same brush, trying to represent the war in Iraq as part of the war on terror. There are likely al Qaeda opperatives in Iraq, trying to make trouble for coalition forces. However, the main trouble there is still from members Sunni minority who have lost power. These people are not IN ANY WAY connected with al Qaeda, and it is deceptive to pretend that two different enemies are part of the same, nebulous force.

Bush is confusing the decisions to be made by obscuring the complex relationships between many different people behind a "good verses evil" construct.
As one who mistrusts those in power, I suspect that this stems more from political motives than a lack of clear thinking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion