Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCodeinecowboy
Kingpin
 User Gallery
How to get fastest colonization
    #24513743 - 07/28/17 10:20 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

What's the way that you can get your jars to colonize fastest?

Is it grains or BRF cakes?

How fast is it?

What's the yield ? Etc

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe_lucky_duck
Neither lucky nor a duck
 User Gallery

Loc: Illinois Flag
Re: How to get fastest colonization [Re: Codeinecowboy]
    #24513745 - 07/28/17 10:24 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Depends on the size of the jar you are trying to colonize. Follow the tek you want to do as closely as possible and be patient.

--------------------

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24513746 - 07/28/17 10:24 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Why?

You can colonize super fast in high Temps, but have much greater contam vectors.

Best colonize way I've ever found is get a good clone.
Clones are it.

And. Grains all. The way.
Cakes take weeks. Longer, and they are smaller.

OfflineThunderbird310
Caps

#24513861 - 07/28/17 11:22 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Grains will colonize faster since you shake them and spread the mycelium through the jar. However cakes are likely to fruit sooner since they do not require the additional time to colonize the bulk substrate. Yields from bulk substrates will be larger since you are expanding the growing material. If it is your first grow I would recommend starting with the PF tek for the best chance of success with the least investment. Ultimately though, as you get more experience you will probably gravitate towards grains and monotub or mini greenhouse.

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#24513870 - 07/28/17 11:32 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Codeinecowboy said:

How fast is it?

What's the yield ? Etc

An incubator keeping the temp around 29c will give you the fastest colonization with either grain or BRF cakes. A cake will colonize in about a month at room temperature but as little as a week and a half at 29c. I use a cooler with a jar of water with an adjustable aquarium heater for an incubator and have had no issues with it.

BTW I use a sealed and sanitized glove box when inoculating and have had no contamination since doing so.

If you make your own prints make them dark then rehydrate and fill the syringes 48 hours before inoculation for fastest results.

Good luck.

Edited by rider420 (07/28/17 11:39 AM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to get fastest colonization [Re: rider420]
    #24513874 - 07/28/17 11:35 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I'll give yout the best advise in this thrEads...don't rush anything in this hobby...cleanest not fastest

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisiblePodamous
Yeesh
Male

Loc: Saskatchewan Flag
Re: How to get fastest colonization [Re: cronicr]
    #24513884 - 07/28/17 11:45 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

LC to Cake is pretty fast, cakes to SGFC takes no effort and never not works. Haha, i recommend it if your just starting and wanna get it done fast. I still do a little bit of cakes every so often! They are super cool looking! :thumbup:

--------------------

Pod dumbs down: Flowhoods

OfflineSteevo
Just a cog in the death wheel
 User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
    #24513922 - 07/28/17 12:08 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Codeinecowboy said:

How fast is it?

What's the yield ? Etc

-Patience
-Grains require agar work which takes time to get right. As a newbie brf cakes will probably go faster imo because you just inoculate the jars and let them be. With grains you need to isolate a clean culture to transfer from or else you're just transfering contamination from agar to grain jars
-BRF jars could take anywhere from a couple of weeks to 30+ days depending on the size of the jars used and the temp you keep them at. Above 80F and you're just asking for trouble imo
-Yields will vary depending on genetics and proper conditions kept
-If you're just starting out stay away from LC. It takes a lot of experience to get that shit dialed in
-Don't try running before you can crawl. Take your time and be patient

Quote:

EvilMushroom666 said:Temperatures above 80F can promote bacterial and mold growth and germinate nasty contaminates that may not have germinated had the temperatures been kept a bit lower.Also you do not need to keep your jars in complete darkness, place your jars on a shelf and leave them be, ambient light is fine.

Spore germination should take place in 7-14 days, time varies. Patience is key at this point, and you are better off to forget about your jars for at least 10 days before checking them all individually.

Quote:

cronicr said:
I'll give yout the best advise in this thrEads...don't rush anything in this hobby...cleanest not fastest

Cronicr with the best advice right there

--------------------

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
Re: How to get fastest colonization [Re: Steevo]
    #24513937 - 07/28/17 12:19 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

/trollthread lol

OfflineYaMoonSun
The Double Standard

Loc: NY
    #24513941 - 07/28/17 12:23 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I have found little to no difference in colonization speeds between 75 and 81F.  Growth falls off rapidly at 83F and above, not 87F.

That chart above is bogus, period.  I have tried dozens of times to duplicate it and it can't be done.  It was apparently made by someone who did ONE grow with sloppy note taking, and sent the results to paul.  Growth is much slower in cold temperatures until you hit 69F, where it speeds up quite a bit until about 75F, where it remains 'flat' until 81, then is flat again until 83, where it falls off fast beginning at 84.  By 'flat' I mean there is no discernible increase or decrease in rate of growth within those ranges.  Jars will colonize as fast at 75F as they will at 80F.  I've proved this time and time again with every strain in my collection.  Growth also falls off rapidly above 84, and this is why so many new folks have problems with incubators set at 86F, and jars that 'won't colonize'.  The figures I give are substrate temperatures, not air temperatures.  The temp inside the jar is 1 to 5 degrees higher than the surrounding air, depending on where in the colonization cycle the jar is.  The heat produced falls off fast as the jar approaches full colonization.

If you live in an igloo,(or near the waterfront) by all means build an incubator, but keep it in the normal room temperature ranges for best results.  I see no reason to set one above 80F, and lots of reasons not to.  Here's a picture of one of my shelves for colonizing jars.  The substrate bags are there because I ran out of room on the other shelf.  These are in a room at normal room temperature, and exposed to light nearly all day.  I don't even put the pf jars on a top shelf where it's warmer. Of course, I had a good teacher on how to make them up, as everyone will soon know. :wink:
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate