Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgaricus t Rexicus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising?
    #24511262 - 07/27/17 08:31 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I inoculated 6 cups of pasteurized fuel pellets with a quart of phoenix oyster spawn (too much I now know).
The bags colonized fine until one day they spent an afternoon in the low 80s and overheated, producing yellow metabolite discharges.

I got them into fruiting conditions shortly after as healthy colonization resumed with temp in the mid 70s.

They began to produce fruits, they seemed to be a bit scraggly and have smallish caps so I increased fae.  After picking a few to sample last night with dinner I find this morning some of the remaining mushrooms from that clump are slightly yellow.

Could this be a contam?  Or could they have been jostled and bruised this color?  Could it be the metabolite discharge it grew around? 

Also since this is my first time with these I am wondering if it is normal that the cap seems to not pull away from the stem on the back side of any of them?  I know at this point they have some more growing to do but I also know I could get  genetic anomalies from over spawning?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: Agaricus t Rexicus]
    #24511478 - 07/27/17 10:33 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

They want both fresh air and humidity

--------------------

OfflineLucidius
Stranger

Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: Chwyn]
    #24511486 - 07/27/17 10:39 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Agree with the above. the long stems represent them 'reaching' for more fresh air. I think the caps 'bloom' with more humidity. Are you misting on the regular? try to get droplets of water in the cups the caps represent at the moment

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: Lucidius]
    #24511534 - 07/27/17 11:12 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I am running a cool mist piped into a 4 tier greenhouse for humidity.  It will peak in high 90's a couple hours after I go to bed and be mid 60s on humidity when I wake up.  I will then open it up, fan it out, zip it mostly shut, and run the humidifier a couple hours to bring it back to high 90s.  I will repeat this fan/rehumidify process again in the afternoon and evening and once more before bed. 

Perhaps the dips in between are too much.  I could unzip it more and run the humidifier 2x the hours I currently do daily on low to maintain more consistency in humidity and fae. 

As for the yellowing on the stems I found it odd that it only appeared this morning around where I cherry picked a few last night.  Makes me wonder if it is a contam in the sub why aren't the clusters on the other sides showing anything...

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

#24511575 - 07/27/17 11:33 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I think fresh air would be better than higher humidity in your case. Ive fruited mushrooms semi-open air in my kitchen just by misting regularly. The small yellowing caps in my experience are aborting mushrooms that wont fully develop. tough to see in the picture but there is a small yellowing pin that looks similar to yours in the bottom right under the large cap.

--------------------

Invisibleflyontoast
Farming food; farming time
 User Gallery

#24511657 - 07/27/17 12:09 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with Chwyn. FAE is way more important for oysters than humidity (although both is best obviously). I've had oysters grow very dry but HUGE caps in the shade outside while it was below 30% humidity. If the yellowing starts to brown, that could be bacteria in the sub, but I usually notice that at the base of the cluster not mid-way.

--------------------
:mushroom: My trade list :mushroom:
Looking for strong terrestrial fruiters for an outdoor beds experiment:
Agaricus Bitorquis, Agaricus Augustus, Agaricus blazei/subrufescens, Stropharia Rugoso-annulata, Clitocybe Nuda (blewits), and any species or other genus that you think work outdoors.
Also, any commercially viable Pleurotus, cold or hot strains.
Thanks for the Q&A, trades, and all the posters & teachers that have come before us  :skol:

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: flyontoast]
    #24511808 - 07/27/17 01:19 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

If I understand correctly lions mane are even better suited at sacrificing humidity for fresh air.  I have some of those I just put in the fc so will definitely air it out more and see what tomorrow morning looks like.

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

#24511822 - 07/27/17 01:28 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah Im fruiting some for the first time right now. They do well in high humidity but seem to abort wherever water droplets get on them

--------------------

Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24513446 - 07/28/17 06:51 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Plus 22 hrs from last pic.  Caps getting bigger with more fae but running out of time to catch up their stunted growth as its picking time soon (some are starting to try to get wavy edges).

The weird looking side of the cap that seemed to not pull away from the stem remains on almost all of them though so still suspecting genetics on that aspect.

The yellowing is still present on the same few mushrooms.  Hasn't spread to others nor has is gotten worse on the ones it was on...still wondering if they can possibly bruise yellow.  Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24515290 - 07/29/17 01:00 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Oh mate, they are suffocating- they need a TON more Fresh Air Exchange. They breath oxygen and exhale CO2 just like we do and they can't find any oxygen right now.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: TravelAgency]
    #24520335 - 07/31/17 12:29 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah they are looking a little better now with more air on the block that came along right after that one.  It also colonized with yellow metabolites but has had a much better looking first flush.

Edited by Agaricus t Rexicus (07/31/17 12:29 PM)

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24520363 - 07/31/17 12:38 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Still need a lot more air. An unsupplemented bag with proper fresh air should look more like this:

Yours are stretching out searching for oxygen.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleA Stoned Fungi
Avid Jellyfisher
Trans-female User Gallery

Loc: Cali Flag
    #24549655 - 08/13/17 02:37 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I've had some phoenix oysters bruise yellow from rough handling. If it isn't spreading it probably is bruising from when you picked the others. Mine looked exactly like that, not enough FAE and when i harvested they bruised yellow.

--------------------
:mushroom:  :mushroomgrow:  :sporedrop:  :1up:  :greenshroom:  :mushroom:  :pinkshroom:    California Mushrooms  :badshroom:  :pinkshroom:  :mushroom:  :mushroomgrow:  :greenshroom:  :mushroom:  :sporedrop:  :1up:

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Phoenix Oyster yellow bruising? [Re: A Stoned Fungi]
    #24618338 - 09/10/17 01:53 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the answer on the bruising.  I have since had more successful grows with more fae indoors as well as some all cap barely any stem 2nd 3rd and 4th flushes outdoors from the original block I showed pics of.  And yeah the original question can for sure be put to bed, regardless of fae or humidity they CAN yellow from bruising without being contaminated.  This was another block I just cut a good 1st flush from.

Healthy fruits yellow bruising.  Thanks everyone for the info.

OfflineTravelAgency
The ongoing "wow"

#24618712 - 09/10/17 04:16 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Need more humidity.

--------------------

Indoor Greenhouse Build 
          Mid Size Mushroom Farm

InvisibleThe Common Man
The peasantry

Loc: Canada
    #24618907 - 09/10/17 06:03 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

:whatshesaid:

Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24619082 - 09/10/17 07:29 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Really?  I will try to keep tweaking things as I already have with good results to increase fae and humidity but it has seemed like with good healthy looking fruits or the scraggly ones from earlier they have all left yellow stumps behind where I cut the stems. 

And for that matter I know for sure some of my outdoor flushes (except for the week Harvey was here in Texas) came from lower humidity and higher temps, but didn't show any more or less yellowing.  That's what was making me seek confirmation that it was just a trait of this strain.  Not saying I think your definitely wrong here, just that my results so far have shown yellowing after harvest in a variety of conditions. 

Still a long way to go before I have mastered my fruiting techniques for these and I have certainly made more gains in fae than humidity so I will keep the adjustments coming...  Thanks again for the input.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom